FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
April 28, 2024, 08:53:09 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: sydneys 1648th fe holden  (Read 10628 times)
retro

View Profile
« on: February 24, 2008, 05:05:50 PM »

Just aquired, a little work required (not much), hopefully on the road soon....

Pics as follows:

She seems to have  a little rust around the boot lid area, and drivers sill, other wise i was impressed when i removed the tarp, and drove it home.
TTV6FC
Guru

Model: FC

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2008, 10:37:17 PM »

Nice work,good luck with the rebuild. Wink

Run your fingers over my Holden and I'll run my Holden over your fingers!!!!
zulu
nsw-club
Guru

Model: FE and FC

Old Boonah Ambo

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2008, 11:07:35 PM »

Good 1 retro, is it registered? be a shame to loose the plates if it is not. Good luck with it.
Cheers, Gary
EffCee
Guru

F4+

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2008, 11:24:39 PM »

Nice pickup Retro, it will be good to see it on the road again. Wink

Canberra, ACT

F4+ Wink
NES304
Guru

Model: FC

Yes Dear

nes304
View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2008, 08:51:10 AM »

Good 1 retro, is it registered? be a shame to loose the plates if it is not. Good luck with it.
Cheers, Gary
How'd you get a road worthy then?
Good luck with the rebuild

retro

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2008, 03:52:44 PM »

to clear the rego concern up, shes not registered, and has not been for many years. To keep the plates, when shes ready for rego, just saw it wasnt bearing any on the sale date, and get new ones (any combo). If they saw these old sckool ones, they will make you change them anyway.
Johns

Model: something else...

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2008, 06:04:35 PM »

Retro, if she hasn't been registered for years, do an RTA "my plates" search if the number is available in black and yellow, you can order the original number for $60 per year.

Then, when you get the new plates put them in the draw and put the old ones on Wink

regards
John

Now that I've got the beige with the grey, I'm looking for the cream, the bone, the ivory and the off white
retro

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2008, 07:29:12 PM »

naughty naughty john.... that was my idea.

Had a few offers already, thinking of selling her. BUT, we will see how motivated i get, even though its an easy job, my heart is in fbs.
retro

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2008, 08:01:59 PM »

john dumb question, i also own a 215 fj, body number s-1306 now is that body number 306 under the fe/fc drop the first number principle, or is it body number 1306?? if its 306, my plans for a chop top custom have just come to a holt.

Another great find, in near new condition, will post pics when i get her home and out of my grandads shed, which i stored her a while ago. The story on this one is she was de-regoed in 1960 for some silly reason, and stored every since.
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2008, 08:42:26 PM »

There has been a little bit of confusion here - the chassis number is the only one which starts at 1000. The body number starts with 1.
So body number 1648 is FE special body number 1648 built in Sydney

But chassis number 6 1648 S would be chassis number 648 built in Sydney in 1956

FJ did not follow a similar pattern to FE & FC

Ken
retro

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2008, 08:54:10 PM »

thanks ken for the fj info.

By the way i didnt change the title of the post, i was happy with the fe either way, besides, with my spare time, who knows if it will be a stocker anyway.
Geoff_K
nsw-club

The 2 BAY s

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2008, 12:06:59 AM »

retro,
Ken has picked me up again on the Tag Numbers, thanks, I should have remembered.
What is now bothering me is that the posted
Id.FE225-s1648
trim 214-467 A0
paint 256/7449
        253/7447
codes bring up a Breton Blue over Cabot Grey Car,
but the pictures look like an Elk Blue Car.
Am I missing something?
Geoff_K
retro

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2008, 08:23:56 AM »

car appears to have been resprayed in the 1970's
Ken's 57
nsw-club

Model: FE

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2008, 05:53:19 PM »

Retro

Just a thought on John's suggestion about hanging on to the original plates. I would imagine that the RTA would have it on record that these plates have never been handed in and consequently would not re-issue that number: even on modern style plates. I'm not sure how they work and I could be wrong, but you'd think they wouldn't want to run the risk of having two sets of plates with identical numbers out there somewhere.

Having said that, if old plates are in good condition there should be a provision made for allowing people to keep them if the car is registered. My FE still has its original plates and I really think it adds to originality of the car. Anyway, good luck with the restoration.

Cheers........Ken Cool
retro

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2008, 08:53:37 PM »

good call ken in relation to them plates, i was thinking of seeing them before i do anything, as i would put them on my fe ute as its more likely to be registered first. (currently sitting in my fathers garage,fully restored, and ready to drive, but without rego).
 Cry Cry
Johns

Model: something else...

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2008, 05:57:22 AM »

Ken,

I said in my post to do an RTA search first to see if the plates are still available, I just did and they aren't. RTA records don't seem to go back beyond 20 years or so, so if you have plates that are on a car that hasn't been registered for a long time you simply do a My Plates search and then you will know for sure.

Hope this is clear.

John

Now that I've got the beige with the grey, I'm looking for the cream, the bone, the ivory and the off white
Ken's 57
nsw-club

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2008, 05:14:03 PM »

It was always clear thanks John. What I am saying is, that if you do the search the number "may" come up as being unavailable because those plates were never handed in. I imagine that the RTA would have records on all numbers that are eligible for re-issue, even if their records in other areas are sketchy. And any number plates (and there would have been thousands) that were never given back would be marked as unaccounted for. You can imagine the legal ramifications if they issued new plates without knowing for sure if the original set had been destroyed or whether they were in the possession of petrol thieves, ram-raiders and other crooks.

As a young bloke I collected a few sets off dumped cars back in the 60's and I have found that all of these have come up as unavailable when I did the search. Now this may be coincidental and as I said, I may be wrong. Perhaps you know how the RTA works and if so, I stand corrected. Otherwise, I thought it would be useful to offer an opinion on the matter and just see if anyone can throw some light on this subject. Huh 
Spinner
nsw-club

Whitewalls - more than 'just' a way of life.

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2008, 11:12:29 PM »

Well, well, well.

My father has a set of BC plates that he had on a Chrysler By, last registered c1992.  These plates are unavailable.

My next door neighbour owned an XW GT, from new.  It was stolen and not ever recovered, c 1993.  Its number plates come up as available.

Interesting.

(0414) 49-6706.  d5461 on Ebay.
Geoff_K
nsw-club

The 2 BAY s

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2008, 12:13:17 AM »

Hi Retro,
You said that the car "appears to have been resprayed in the 1970's"
Looking at the inside, they appear to have done a good/complete job.
The inner doors, dash, steering column are all matching original spec.
Are there any traces of original colour scheme? If you find any I would like to see.
Cheers, Geoff_K
RET
Administrator
Guru

richard.e.thomas ret56fe
View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2008, 06:12:47 PM »

You make a good point, Geoff.  It certainly has a very thorough covering of Elk Blue. Too thorough, really: the inner panels of the doors, the A-pillar covers and the B pillars would be Teal Blue (like your car and mine) if this car was originally a single-tone Special in Elk Blue.

The codes on the plate certainly agree with each other that it is BB over CG.

Shame really, the blue and grey combination would be quite unusual.

cheers
RET

OurCarClub.com.au is a web-based data management application, custom built for car clubs and their volunteer officials. More info...
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: