FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
April 29, 2024, 07:56:10 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you a member of one of the FE-FC Holden Car Clubs of Australia ? If you are, get access to the Club-Member-only area of this discussion board. Send an IM to the board admin, including your real name and club to get access.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: FC COUPE WAGON DEVELOPMENT  (Read 4536 times)
red_devil
nsw-club

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« on: February 06, 2008, 08:00:33 PM »

Hi guys, hope this does not bore you, but I just thought I would put some notes down on how you go about building a Die Cast model from scratch. The images show a solid resin plug which is hand shaped from a drawing. This car is made 1.5 times bigger than the size of the car you want to finish up with. The Coupe Wagon if produced would be done in 1/24th scale hence the solid plug is half as big again as the desired finshed size.
This is sent to China where about 90% of the worlds models are built. The factory we use hires over 10,000 workers and the facility is state of the art and immaculate. You have to see the technology and standard of engineering to appreciate it.
After the factory receives the solid plug they set out to build a one off 1.5 bigger again full working plastic model called the master pattern at a cost of around $16,000.00. The reason the size increases is to assist the tool makers with their pattern and mould work.The master gets sent  back and forwards to allow any changes to be made and the pattern goes back and forwards about six times. Several hundred emails, photos and measurement's also transact during this three month period.
After you approve all the changes and modifications they go to tooling which takes about four months and the next bill is around a $100,000.00 for 1/24th or $175,000.00 for 1/18th, and now you are really asking yourself am I crazy. Once the tooling is complete they do a few first shots from the tool to allow more changes if required, so once again the samples travel back and forth across the ocean.
Once all parties have agreed the tool is hardened and production begins. You are now going to part with another $40,000.00 and you are booking the shrink and a lawyer as your wife is now thinking of leaving you. You have not slept for six months but hey its only money, as long as you have your health.Not sure whoever made that statement but I know it's not someone who builds models.
When we sell a few more Ford ( yes Ford a four letter word starting with F )XB Coupes that was our first venture we will go again with the FC but it will be in van format before the coupe wagon gets a look.
We are looking at suicide doors, a blown chev and jag rear, but the final tooling quotes will decide how much of this we can use.The FC will have around 90 individual parts, so the development will be complex and draining.From conception of the idea to owning a 1/24th full diecast model is about a year and $160,000.00 and about $100,000.00 more if you want to jump to 1/18th scale.

We intend to do some 1/43rd resin standard wagons and utes much later this year that will be limited to 500 of each and never be made again. These will be fully assembled models not kits.
If you go to the http://www.models56.com.au site and look at the Bob Jane Camaro we have made you can see visually you cannot tell a resin model from a diecast one. The Torana GTR-X is the next release in this limited 1/43rd resin  range.
Hope this was helpful.
Regards
Red Devil

FC427
nsw-club
Guru

Model: FC

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2008, 08:43:00 PM »

That is scary $$$$$ how many FC Panel Vans would you need to sell to break even in that venture........FC427.......

As I lay rubber down the street I pray for traction I can keep, but if I spin and begin to slide please dear god protect my ride
red_devil
nsw-club

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2008, 09:19:14 PM »

This is wholesale/ retail answer that is very complicated. You have to decide on what market stratergy you want to operate in. Retailer yourself or wholesaler in volume. it's a matter of doing lots of sums and understanding the risks. Not for the faint hearted.
Not easy to answer and not numbers I like to discuss, as you could appreciate.
Regards
Models56

Ed
Guru

Model: FE

Ed74mnd
View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2008, 11:08:05 AM »

Hey red devil,

Thanks for the fascinating back of house insight into the development of a model.

Certainly a risky business catering to the needs of a such a niche market.

It looks like you guys are onto a good thing.  the Falcons look stunning on the website.

I'm not a model collector, but I now further appreciate the efforts that go into their production.

Cheers

Ed

in the shed
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: