FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
September 22, 2024, 03:51:45 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Stereo Help  (Read 6602 times)
Rod

I love YaBB 1 Gold!

View Profile
« on: January 13, 2008, 08:02:56 PM »

Hi All

I have just installed a Pioneer Stereo into my stock FC ute. It has two 4 inch speakers that I have into boxes on the parcel shelf.

All is working well other than what I can describe what seems a lack of grunt to the speakers when the motor is under load especially accelerating in 2nd gear. The volume decreses and there are some hisses and crackles. All other times the stereo is working fine.

I attached the power lead initially to the accessory terminal. I then tried it on the ignition terminal and it seemed to help but only marginally.

I've had a mate test the voltage while driving the car and it seems to peak at about 14.9 to 15 volts when accelerating in second gear. In other gears the voltage only gets to low 14's. The stereo is rated to 14.4 volts. Could this be the problem?

Has anyone else experienced this problem who may like to offer some suggestions.

Many thanks.

Rod
Glenn 'Stinky' Stankevicius
Guru

Model: FE and FC

Willaston, South Australia

Glenn.Stankevicius
View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2008, 08:32:18 PM »

First thing is to check your earth, it seems 90% of electrical problems are due to poor earths.
Maybe it's a perceived volume drop as the engine noise increases?
The hisses and crackles maybe from interference, you can buy filters from places like Autobarn and Jaycar to fix that.

waynos

Model: FC

patience grasshopper

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2008, 11:48:07 PM »

throw the bloody radio out the window and listen to that baby purr i reckon

The grinder is mightier than the sword.
Rod

I love YaBB 1 Gold!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2008, 07:00:44 AM »

Thanks Stinky but I should have mentioned that I have already gone down the path's you have suggested. Thanks again Rod
Glenn 'Stinky' Stankevicius
Guru

Model: FE and FC

Willaston, South Australia

Glenn.Stankevicius
View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2008, 08:12:34 AM »

Post your question in the "Beginner's Discussion" of the MEA site
http://www.mobileelectronics.com.au/forums/index.php?
You are sure to get a response there.

Rod

I love YaBB 1 Gold!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2008, 08:49:54 AM »

Cheers Again Stinky. Will do and let you know how I get on.

Rod
Rod

I love YaBB 1 Gold!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2008, 10:21:20 PM »

Good Evening All,

I am still having a problem with this stereo and haven't come up with any ideas. I am waiting on a reply from Pioneer so hopefully there maybe a solution in sight. I've had a relay made up to bypass the ignition and power directly from the battery because initial tests indicated that this might be the go. Did this tonight and still the problem persists.

Anyway I suspect the high voltage maybe something to do with it and I have a slight hunch it maybe due to the Bosch Regulator. I do need to top up the electrolite to the battery but unsure if the amount and frequency of doing this is indicating overcharging on the generators part. I have read the manual and seem to feel confident on tackling the testing and adjustment of the regulator for voltage and current if I get my hands on a multimeter that reads voltage and amps at the same time. My question/s is has anyone tackled this test /adjustment (how easy was it?) or am I best getting an auto electrician to do this? (finding one who knows the ins and outs of a generator regulator maybe a problem). Any suggestions would be more than welcomed.

I did notice that the contact points to one of the terminals was dirty and pitted somewhat but who knows this is most likely the case in all our regulators.

Once again thanking you in anticipation.

Rod
KFH
qld-club

Model: FC

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2008, 10:41:05 PM »

Rod  If the multimeter you use is not accurate you may be defeating your purpose and you will be like a dog chasing its tail.  A separate ammeter is best.  The ones that are in a standard multimeter are not real good as there is some drop in the leads of the unit due to thin wire in them.  Cheap multimeter's are very accurate despite the specifications stating they are good.  I recently checked a $50 one against my Fluke 77, which was recently checked for calibration, and found it to be reading .3 volts too low.  This kind of inaccuracy is not the best for setting up voltage regulators.  I would suggest an auto electrician may be the safest bet.

Keith

I was born with nothing and still have most of it left
Ed
Guru

Model: FE

Ed74mnd
View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2008, 10:48:38 AM »

Hey rod,

I'd be giving the stereo it's own dedicated earth, making sure the earth point is shiny metal prior to bolting down the cable. 

Ditch the standard speaker wire and get something slightly fatter, similar for the power and earth attachments. Usually some of these head units earth through the stereo as well so make sure it's bolted in securely with all the recommended earth points attached.

Stick a noise filter on the coil as well.

Separating speaker wires and RCA cables from power cables also helps to minimise noise and interference.  Run all RCA (if you are running amps) and speaker cables in one bundle and all power/earth leads away from these in a separate bundle, preferably on the other side of the vehicle.

Does the noise affect radio tuner or CD only or both?

If it still plays up I'd reckon your head unit is faulty.  I use a pioneer and it works well, no noises or anything.

Cheers

Ed

in the shed
Rod

I love YaBB 1 Gold!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2008, 11:39:47 AM »

Thanks Ed I will go down the path you have suggested. It happens to both the CD and tuner. I already have a filter / suppressor on the coil. I just have a slight hunch it has something due to the regulator where there is a spike in the voltage at the point in time when the hiss / lack of grunt kicks in. I had a look at the internals of the regulator and I recon the airgaps are out compared to the specifications hence posible effecting the voltage and current.I do regularly top up the battery which can be an indication of over charging (and forever leaning the terminals).

Anyway thanks so much for your suggestions. I will follow them through as a process of elimination and I am sure the solution isn't to far away.

Cheers

Rod
Ed
Guru

Model: FE

Ed74mnd
View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2008, 12:10:36 PM »

change out your reg and see if it helps?

in the shed
bent8-58

The older it gets-the slower it was!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2008, 10:37:12 AM »

G'day rod  This is going to sound really dumb,but check the 2 coil wires are on the correct posts to the coil (  - & +). Many moons ago when my car was first on the road l spent up big on a stereo & couldnt use it because of terrible interference & noises. It was so bad that l was frightened that the speakers would blow up from the noise. I had many experts look at it & shrug their shoulders & say "sorry". Finally after becoming mates with a guy with a stereo shop he took up the challenge & solved the problem in 5 minutes. The auto -elec. who "checked over" the wiring & made his own mods before the initial fire up had put the 2 coil wires on ass-about. My mate couldnt believe that the car even ran -let alone didnt catch fire!(l've done my own wiring ever since!) Daz. 

I LOVE CATS.....BUT I CANT EAT A WHOLE ONE BY MYSELF.
Rod

I love YaBB 1 Gold!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2008, 01:28:31 PM »

Thought I would update this post just in case someone else comes across the same problem. Followed much of the suggestions here and tried a relay as mentioned before which didn't seem to help. Anyway I got my hands on another two regulators. I put the first one in about three weeks ago and must admit it made an improvement however the lack of grunt etc was still present. Having used it for those three weeks I think it may have improved or I just got used of the problem. For some reason I thought I would try the other regulator today. I have just got in from the shed and it has worked an absolute treat. So if any others come across a similiar problem if installing a stereo this might help. Thank you all for your assistance and help once again.

Rod
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: