FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
September 22, 2024, 07:37:25 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you a member of one of the FE-FC Holden Car Clubs of Australia ? If you are, get access to the Club-Member-only area of this discussion board. Send an IM to the board admin, including your real name and club to get access.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Oil Filters on Grey Motors  (Read 3393 times)
Paul In Ireland
Guru

Model: FE and FC

View Profile
« on: December 05, 2007, 10:32:50 AM »

Fill me in a bit here - why are there no filters?

Who has put on the after market ones?

Will the engine perform better with one?

Preferences for not having one?

Thanks.

The International FE FC Fleet of Ireland
Education is where you read the fine print. Experience is what you get when you don't.
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2007, 03:47:38 PM »

It stems as a result of an old engine design and a time where oil was changed more frequently than in today's engines. Since the oil was changed so frequently it was hardly necessary to filter it. The FX and FJ were specified to have the oil changed every 2000 miles.
The oil filter was optional for heavy duty operation or for dusty environments but a lot of owners opted to install them as the FE onwards specified that oil need only be changed only every 5000 miles.

The optional filter is only marginally useful as it is a bypass filter rather than a full flow filter anyway.

The engine performance is unaffected with or without one - The oil should be changed regularly regardless of whether a filter is fitted or not.

I can't see any good reason to not have the filter apart from making it easier to set the timing and change spark plugs.

Ken
Paul In Ireland
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2007, 06:52:38 PM »

So what would you pay for a working, used original (delco I think) filter with bracket, pipes and a couple of filters? $100? $150? $200? $300? Ready to install.

Education is where you read the fine print. Experience is what you get when you don't.
Paul In Ireland
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2007, 05:56:31 AM »

Actually it's an AC oil filter and from the pics the guy has it needs a paint job but other than that it looks good.

FC0058
qld-club
Guru

Model: FC

Jim Altmann
View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2007, 09:13:33 AM »

Hi Paul
Welcome to the site, and congrats on the purchase of that fine ute. As for that oil filter, I have 2 full secondhand setups one cost me $10 and the other $15 AU. I have seen NOS ones sell for $200 +.

Every thing costs what your willing to pay.

Cheers Jim

Forgiveness is easier than permission.
FB_MAD

I can't think what to write here so this will do.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2007, 09:22:08 AM »

They usually sell for around the $60 to $150 mark on Ebay depending on condition and how complete they are.I have bought one from a swap meet all complete for $25 however.One sold on ebay a while back ( I think it was a NOS one in its original box with fitting instructions) and it went for well over $200 from memory.
The hardest part to buy individually is the T piece that fits to the oil gallery in the block and allows the fitment of the original oil pressure switch and the oil line to the filter.

Most filters I've seem on ebay are missing this T piece( and/or some of the other parts) .One could probably be made up by a Hydraulic shop I guess if you couldn't find an original one.

The filter cartridges are still available from RYCO for all three types ( AC, Fram,Ryco ) as I sent an email to RYCO about 9 months ago asking whether they still made them.

I bought 3x AC cartridges from Repco Auto Parts about the same time and from memory they where approx $22 each or thereabouts.

Hope that helps,

Terry.

Has anybody seen my red pen??
Paul In Ireland
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2007, 10:40:46 AM »

This is the unit in question:

http://greatest.com.au/nasco_oil_filter/

Plastic bags are just to keep it clean. What do you think?

fcee
vic-club

Model: FE

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2007, 11:01:44 AM »

Paul ,unless you want to have a filter just for looks ,cost wise much better to change oil every 1000 miles , and better for engine as clean oil is most important . Steve Wink

Sale Victioria
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: