FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
September 23, 2024, 09:19:51 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Fixing sagging roof lining  (Read 1959 times)
Paul In Ireland
Guru

Model: FE and FC

View Profile
« on: November 07, 2007, 09:41:40 AM »

The ute has a couple of small areas where the roof lining is starting to sag. If there a way to halt the sag getting worse - or better still is there a way to do a patch up? I have no idea what is behind/above it. Is there some sort of rail or high tensile wire that forms the ribs that holds up the lining? Could you reattach it with a small upholstery needle?

Cheers
Paul

The International FE FC Fleet of Ireland
Education is where you read the fine print. Experience is what you get when you don't.
Glenn 'Stinky' Stankevicius
Guru

Model: FE and FC

Willaston, South Australia

Glenn.Stankevicius
View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2007, 09:48:05 AM »

Where there are joins in the vinyl there is a small calico pocket on the other side that is threaded with a wire rib that clips into holes that holds the whole show up.
You could try to patch up with thread and needle, you'd need a curved needle to do a decent job and it still may not look the best.
Of all the old holden upholstery I have done, the thread deteriorates and is the weakest link. Even if you patch some parts up, eventually the rest will need repair.
Patch what you can, but be prepared to replace the lot in the near future.

FC229

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2007, 12:31:42 PM »

When I had my roof lining done the upholsterer told me to get rid of the sagging bits, or tighten it all up where it did not look quite taught enough, to run hot air from a hair dryer over it. I have not done it, but perhaps someone has and could tell you if it worked for them. I would be cautious, who knows if the old vinyl will act the same as the new stuff I got. Also may depend on why it's sagging
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: