FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
April 29, 2024, 01:56:39 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: flamethrowers.  (Read 13151 times)
Ed
Guru

Model: FE

Ed74mnd
View Profile
« on: October 30, 2007, 03:32:33 PM »

im interested in getting one of those flamethrower doodads.

anybody here use them??

are they good bad.. indifferent?

my pipes angle down slightly so they may fire into the ground but having EFI i dont reckon i will get BIG flames anyhow.

i just want some fun as I drive along.

how exactly do they work?  do you flick a switch and the coil cuts out and fires a coil and plug in the rear of the exhaust?

Cheers

Ed

in the shed
FC427
nsw-club
Guru

Model: FC

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2007, 04:02:07 PM »

Hi Ed there was an add for the flame throwers in the Just Parts Magazine don't know if it is still in there as I haven't bought one in a while might be worth a look FC427

As I lay rubber down the street I pray for traction I can keep, but if I spin and begin to slide please dear god protect my ride
fc_mad

in the build

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2007, 04:38:49 PM »

don't know how they work but i like ur thinking Grin
Ed
Guru

Ed74mnd
View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2007, 04:48:01 PM »

Hey FC427,

thanks for the tip, I also did a quick google an came up with this.
http://www.customflamethrowers.com/modules/news/

I know FC COOL had some so im interested to see what he says about flame throwers, Im sure there's a story in there as well.

Hi fcmad,
im still undecided as to whether they are cool or not, useful or trouble making.

the thought of firing up some flames out the exhaust seems fun, but if you need to give the motor a big old rev to get decent flames im not sure... i hate twats that drive around revving up their motors...

Cheers

Ed

in the shed
Brad

My FC Van in 1986 and I still have It

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2007, 05:31:02 PM »

Ed
   I hate to rain on your parade but I think they are illegal Shocked. At least up here in QLD.
      You might want to check with the RTA or if you're not concerned go for it. When you finally pass some slow poke doing 20 Kay's under the limit you can slow down and then flame em  Grin.
          Brad.

Id rather have a full bottle in front of me than a full frontal labotomy
fc_mad

in the build

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2007, 05:51:39 PM »

Ed
if there not legal in ur state MOVE
NO NAME

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2007, 07:08:05 PM »

its not written anywere that they are illegal but like many parts they are not a approved accsesory,rta will probably say they are if you ask.

Ed
Guru

Ed74mnd
View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2007, 08:07:59 AM »

Hey guys,

Flamethrowers.. not legal?? im not surpised but such a discreet item shouldnt go noticed unless used in the wrong situation.

im still debating the novelty value of it.

Cheers

Ed

in the shed
Glenn 'Stinky' Stankevicius
Guru

Model: FE and FC

Willaston, South Australia

Glenn.Stankevicius
View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2007, 09:29:41 AM »

They are VERY dangerous though!
Did anyone see the ep of "Pimp My Ride" where they fitted flame throwers? One of the guys was toasting a marshmallow and the car backfired, the marshmallow exploded into hundreds of little scalding bits. someone might have been seriously hurt   Grin  Roll Eyes

FC427
nsw-club
Guru

Model: FC

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2007, 10:41:30 AM »

I guess the lesson there is DON'T toast marshmallow's on your exhaust when using your flame throwers one could only imagine how bad a toasted marshmellow would taste toasted in front of an exhaust anyhow YUK !!! FC427

As I lay rubber down the street I pray for traction I can keep, but if I spin and begin to slide please dear god protect my ride
Ed
Guru

Ed74mnd
View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2007, 02:40:02 PM »

I'm with FC427 on this one...

I'd be afraid to go near a car throwing flames from its exhaust actually, terrified if i was toasting a marshmallow lol... benzene flavoured marshmallows.. mmm.. carcinogens in a box!

if you go to the link of the site i posted earlier you can see some BIG flames from some cars and motorbikes (vid and stills).

Cheers

Ed

in the shed
mitchy

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2007, 08:56:54 PM »

hi ed mitch from brookvale .installed on my 55 international truck they shot a flame about 2.4 metres looked great they work as you descride them flick switch cuts all spark. pump excellerator unburnt full flows throuhg motor down exhaust pipes to your spark plug that is mounted at the end of each exhaust pipe and bango good flames .the only drawback i had .it fouled the plugs. take all plugs out regularly and clean .dont use them any more novalty wore off regards mitch ps wagon nearly done . ps  you also need a coil to run the 2 plugs at the end of your pipes
Al
nsw-club

I love FC Ute's!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2007, 08:11:26 AM »

Hey Ed, talk to Ben... he,s got them on the HR, a lot of fun. He drilled holes and welded nuts the same thread as the sparkplugs into the ends of the tail pipes, each spark plug has it,s own coil, there,s another electronic box hucked up as well and a switch on dash to the coils. You rev the ring out of the motor take foot off accelarator and hit the switch (I think).

See ya
Al
fc_mad

in the build

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2007, 05:38:04 PM »

what the verdict Ed
Devilrod

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2007, 09:57:25 PM »

I had one on my old grey powered EK with a pipe that angled down slighlty, end result someone would always have a bit of burnt lawn when I'd leave a party Roll Eyes

My understanding was they didn't work with EFI. A word of warning with these you are slowly killing the bores of your block by flooding raw fuel through it and washing away any oil.
Contrary to popular belief you don't need big revs to get good flames..... just good hand and feet coordination. Grin Grin

Speed & Style...... One Day I'll get the speed bit!
Ed
Guru

Ed74mnd
View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2007, 08:14:57 AM »

hey Mitch,

thanks for the feedback, I'm going to hop on over soon to check out your wagon too.

Al,
I do recall seeing Bens throwers in action, but I thought he removed his tailpipe sections??
the noise was cool in itself.

Devilrod,

beaut pics, nice juicy flame.. looks like youve got the hand foot coordination thing happening nicely.

fc_mad.

the verdict??
jury is still out, the only EFI cars ive seen with them (on video), have had cats as well so the flame was a tiny blue spec.

i need to see an EFI motor pushing out flames before i will do it.

IMO it should work i will read up on the EFI and see if it cuts fuel if no spark is sensed.

thanks all.

great pics

Cheers

Ed

in the shed
NO NAME

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2007, 09:18:22 PM »

i think it will most likely work, cats are a killer but they still work with old cactus cats, i know they can work with efi, i saw a vn with some go down the road at my nans with them going the other night.
 let me know if you need a kit, see if you are getting anything from the injectors if you disconnect power to the coil.

TAYZ
« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2007, 09:46:20 PM »

I gave jamie (FEHOTROD) a set for his birthday just gone and low and behold he installed them yesterday.  He said they are working ok but he is not getting real big flames, was going to give em a rip at Johns picnic but it got rained out
NO NAME

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2007, 10:14:59 PM »

they wont be massive on a grey, especailly wif there is only 1 standard stromberg.
 some tips for bigger flames, a big tailpipe makes a bigger flame, 2 1/2 ft of 3" pipe is near ideal at the back but not necassary.
 other thing is to get the revs up then hit the switch and pump the accelerator like mad. once they get going the pipes will get real hot and the fuel will start vapourizing better making better flames but watch the engine temp and dont over rev the poor grey getting carried away.

also always wait till the pipes are hot before you start flaming or something might go bang.

Glenn 'Stinky' Stankevicius
Guru

Model: FE and FC

Willaston, South Australia

Glenn.Stankevicius
View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2007, 11:33:29 PM »

Hey Ed what about a 9th injector  Lips sealed

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode)