FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
September 28, 2024, 03:45:33 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: FE Ute floor timber  (Read 21003 times)
plumer46
nsw-club

FE Ute

View Profile
« on: October 01, 2007, 08:15:45 AM »

Hi,
Can anyone assist with the type of timber that was used on the floor of an FE Ute, and was there also metal strips that were screwed on top of the timber which I believe protected the timber and acted as a slide assistance?

Regards

John G
FC427
nsw-club
Guru

Model: FC

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2007, 02:52:49 PM »

Hi my FC Ute still has the original rear floor no strips and PLY WOOD I will measure the thickness and let you know  FC 427

As I lay rubber down the street I pray for traction I can keep, but if I spin and begin to slide please dear god protect my ride
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2007, 12:49:35 PM »

This is an excerpt from the sales brochure;
"...a flooring of laminated plywood and masonite with steel skid strips...."
The 6 steel skid strips are in line with the pressings in the tailgate and are the same width (about 1 inch)
The screws are countersunk head ( description from the parts book - Flat hd. sl. tap. Type "B" No 10 - 16 x 1" ) and are recessed into the strips. There are 6 screws per strip
The masonite is a special masonite with a very hard surface - you can still buy it but it costs about double the price of standard stuff. The thickness of the plywood plus masonite brought the floor up level with the metal sides of the ute floor.

Ken
FC427
nsw-club
Guru

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2007, 09:09:06 PM »

My floor that I thought was the original must have been changed along time ago  if it was fitted from the factory with Hard board over the ply . We live and learn  FC 427

As I lay rubber down the street I pray for traction I can keep, but if I spin and begin to slide please dear god protect my ride
zulu
nsw-club
Guru

Model: FE and FC

Old Boonah Ambo

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2007, 11:34:54 PM »

Here are a couple of pics of the floor coming up in our ute

Those screws are a bugger to get out, thanks for the info on the floor Ken, the 2 layers were still there but a bit moth eaten around the edges  Roll Eyes

Gary
FC427
nsw-club
Guru

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2007, 08:50:38 AM »

Now I need A set of strips for it HELP!!!!!   I imagine that they would be hard to get with out damage, are they a flat section or are they like EH ones with a radius Huh?? if flat I could make some up in stainless as coppies might be OK   FC427

spanner

Model: FE

Mackay QLD

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2007, 10:38:28 AM »

I have recently done this job to my van. I used 25 x 3 stainless flat.

I used a piece of ply for the floor. Rather then just laying the stainless stips on top of the ply, I had the ply routed to a depth of about half or a bit more the thickness of the stainless so that the stainless screwed down into the slots but still sits proud of the ply.

I did this to hid any small gaps between the ply and strips. Works a treat and looks good.

The old metal ones that I removed were flat.

Cheers

Graham
FC427
nsw-club
Guru

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2007, 01:33:36 PM »

That sounds like the go with the stainless rebated it in. I did a similar thing with brass in the floor of a mates pool room only it was flush with the floor and only one strip around the perimeter and one around the pool table as a feature  Thanks for setting me straight on this one FC427

plumer46
nsw-club

FE Ute

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2007, 02:19:31 PM »

Hi,

Thank you all very much for your timely and helpful information, I shall now go off to a timber outlet and order the ply and masonite.

Stainless Steel skid strips seem the way to go also.

Regards

John G Grin
Harley
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2007, 11:26:19 AM »

what colour was the floor painted - or a modern day colour thats' close
utey

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2007, 11:51:12 PM »

John
I used 12mm marine ply the original steel strips and stainless screws

Nick

If it was easy would it be so much fun!
FC427
nsw-club
Guru

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2007, 08:57:01 AM »

Are the stripes meant to be the same colour as the car Huh?? or were they plated from factory FC427

plumer46
nsw-club

FE Ute

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2007, 05:16:59 PM »

Hi utey,

Very nice looking ute tray, same question as FC427, plus what are the 2 access panels for?

Regards

John G Smiley
Al
nsw-club

I love FC Ute's!

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2007, 07:31:49 PM »

I think the strips were plated, but the 2 access panels are there for undoing the shocks.  Cheers Al

See ya
Al
REDMR2RED
vic-club

FC Ute's d'best

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2007, 08:11:08 PM »

There was a really nice Ute Back treatment at Cora Lyn Car Show last Sunday.  Not an FE FC but nice none the less.

Kevin

1959 FC Holden Ute
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: