FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
October 06, 2024, 01:35:39 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: MECHANICAL FANS ON A 202 AND RADIATOR CLEARANCE  (Read 4665 times)
Chuck

Finished!

View Profile
« on: September 29, 2007, 10:46:08 AM »

Hi All

In my ute I am running a black 202 with a Torana radiator.  Despite every component in the cooling system being new (including a new lowest temp thermostat), it is still running a little hot for my liking.

I am confident that a mechanical fan will cure this as at the moment I am running a single 16” thermo.

As you are no doubt aware, there is minimal distance between the water pump pulley (I’m using the short shout version) and the radiator.

My question is what mechanical fan will give me the maximum radiator clearance?  Basically, for it to work there needs to be no protrusion forward of the underside of the bolt heads that hold the water pump pulley and fan on.  I know that there are a couple of different mechanical fans around for Holden 6’s.

Additionally, has anyone tried a new flex fans and if so, do they give clearance?

Regards

Chuck

“So yes it has changed my life.  I can remember when I had a wife, a mortgage and a dog; I don’t have any 3 of those things any longer…”  Dr Gregory W Frazier
Glenn 'Stinky' Stankevicius
Guru

Model: FE and FC

Willaston, South Australia

Glenn.Stankevicius
View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2007, 01:43:23 PM »

Here's a pic of my 202, AFAIK it's all Torrie stuff that I had lying around.
The radiator is LC/LJ and there is plenty of clearance to the radiator, I guess is all depends on motor position too.
I recently got the correct temp sender and it keeps it's cool well with a thermo fan for backup. The only time it blew it's top was on the way to Philip Island while waiting in a petrol station queue.

FCwagon
vic-club

Model: FC

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2007, 01:49:30 PM »

Hi Chuck,
I've used flex fans on my wagon and FB and both provided great cooling. They've good clearance and don't protrude any further forward than the pump shaft. Don't listen to any of the stories about them flying to bits - that happens with standard fans too. They're a little noisy when revving but you just turn up the stereo!!
cheers,
Leigh

Red & white is alright
Chuck

Finished!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2007, 05:39:42 PM »

Hey Stinky

Thanks for the information and the photo, it looks as though that style of fan will sit forward of the water pump pulley but its certainly more compact than all of the steel fans I have looked at so far (there is a distinct lack of steel fans in inner Sydney).  You also have much more radiator clearance than I.

Leigh, that sounds exactly like what I’m after.  Do you happen to know what brand of fan you have used and where they are available from?  Also, do you know the diameter of the fan you are using?

Chuck

“So yes it has changed my life.  I can remember when I had a wife, a mortgage and a dog; I don’t have any 3 of those things any longer…”  Dr Gregory W Frazier
craiga
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2007, 06:22:58 PM »

Hey Chuck,

When we were tuning it the temperature was fine - cooling fan switching off and on perfectly. So it only gets hot at speed? Does the temp come back down if you let it idle for a while?

If this is the case its possibly related to the water pump. There has been some talk on the Torana forum regards newer aftermarket style 6 cyl Holden water pumps vs. the older style genuine Holden ones. The issue is said to be related to cavitation in the cooling system caused by the larger tolerances and different style of vanes used in the pumps, some made in India!!

Before you look for a cause though, what is the exact issue that needs to be corrected? Hot if it idles for a time? Hot if you sit on a constant speed? Hot in traffic - idle/run/idle/run?

My XU1 uses the same exact same radiator as your ute, runs no mechanical fan (due to insufficient room caused by the Romac harmonic balancer), uses a manually switched 12" electric cooling fan mounted on the front of the radiator, a 72 Deg C thermostat, 11:1 compression and gets a flogging - and doesn't get hot. Ever.

Lots of things could be causing your problem - partially blocked water galleries in the block/head (that engine did sit for a long time), the water pump thing, exhaust, dragging brakes even.

Was past your place today in the XU1 and was going to drop in. Should have stopped, really wanted to see your car registered and go for a drive!!!

Cheers,

Craig.

Ed
Guru

Model: FE

Ed74mnd
View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2007, 10:34:08 AM »

Hey Chuck,
My car was running warm over the weekend too… must be the Sydney traffic and weather combined.
Those ally bladed flex fans look good but don’t work very well from my experience.  I have a spare you can try.
I use a black plastic flex-a-lite fans with those big blades and it cools very well.  Also coupled with twin thermos pushing thru the radiator.  I may add a shroud for the summer time as well.

“water wetter” drops the temp significantly (10 degrees).  The only problem is you need to use it without the ethylene glycol coolant.  Im running without the water wetter at the moment as I couldn’t find any to put in after the engine rebuild.  I didn’t think it would make such a big difference but it does.

Cheers

Ed

in the shed
GMB-58FC

Model: FC

Stage one complete...

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2007, 10:54:05 AM »

Chuck i will try and dig up some pics of my old 58.

I was running a modified bike fan and it worked a treat, is smaller than your average car thermo and dont cost as much and dont mind running off an overide Grin

The  other option you could think of is the twin minis, they are 2 6" fans and are about 1" thick with the shrouds.  They are mainly used in helicopter and small plan set ups for tight spaces.  I have no idea what they are worth or who would stock them though sorry.

Cheers Ben

ABS Hobart- 6231 5855

FOR ALL YOUR BRAKE & CLUTCH NEEDS. 

PM FOR QUOTE
craiga
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2007, 11:12:57 AM »

My car was running warm over the weekend too… must be the Sydney traffic and weather combined.

Was stuck in traffic yesterday in the XU1 and no problems. Drove over the Harbour Bridge, Anzac Bridge, and then Victoria Road lots of traffic, not hot at all (180 Deg F). Well except for my arse melting into the vinyl seat  Tongue

If your car gets hot then there is a core reason, simply a lack of cooling efficiency.

Like any problem, clearly identify the symptoms, investigate the cause, develop the solution, implement same.
craiga
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2007, 11:16:31 AM »

These should help:

http://www.gmh-torana.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=16117

http://www.gmh-torana.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=15710

http://www.gmh-torana.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=13370

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: