FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
April 29, 2024, 05:35:19 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: My 58 FC  (Read 5412 times)
Jockster

Old Holdens never die they just go faster

View Profile
« on: October 15, 2002, 11:41:41 AM »

Grin
Just a pic of my 58 FC. It runs a 192 stage 2 motor with twin strombergs, M20 4 speed, HT V8 diff, HR disc front end, Hadfield Chassis Kit, Commodore buckets and full electric fan heater. It's used every week and is a good cruiser.

Cars are my life not just my work
coolaride
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2002, 11:46:53 AM »

nice looking cruiser there  Cheesy
nice colors too !

welcome aboard Smiley

cheers

coolaride
HARKO
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2002, 12:27:57 PM »

Nice nice ride ,those colour's go realy well together ,I've alway's wondered how that champagne would go against another colour (excellent)
Any idea what width a HT diff is ?
1465 is FC by memmory
Jockster

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2002, 12:31:20 PM »

:)What I should have said is that I am using a HT V8 Diff Centre in an EH housing with HR Brakes. Shortly I will be fitting an LC Torana diff to give some more wheel clearance so I can lower the car a bit more
Cheers Jockster

normd

6 in a row , the way to "GO"

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2002, 02:05:03 PM »

Welcome Jockster,
        Really Nice  FC  mate      AND   a  192  only way to go ,   What ratio is the HT diff centre  ,  was thinking of putting one in mine , I've got a 3.36    with M20 at the moment  (1st gear only goes 20 ft ,  great for hillclimbs but a bit short for running on the circuit).
     Hope to chat again
    Norm d

I Love My "FC" 192 . Old but still a "Rev Head"

R.I.P. Norm - A Great Mate to Everyone on the Forum.
brads59

OLD OLDENS=STYLE

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2002, 05:24:16 AM »

Hi Jockster,
                 How do u find the performance of the twin strombergs on the red motor.Just curious is all.
Cheers BRAD.... Grin

1959 Black Std sedan
Neil Morrison
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2002, 07:09:52 AM »

G'day Normd and Brad
The diff ratio I am using is 3.08:1 with 14 inch rims and 65 series tyres. I usually use only first, second and third around town and select 4th at speeds over 40 miles per hour. The car will cruise on the open road all day at 70 miles per hour at 2600 rpm and averages about 30 mpg....well it was when I had a two barrel weber on it.
I haven't done a mileage test yet with the X2 carbies, but it certainly has got more grunt down low with them on and starts easier, they are much better suited to the TQ20 cam grind than the weber was. I will be fitting X2 headers to it shortly rather than the geni's that are on it. Eventually if I can find a set I will fit triple down draft strombergs on a redline manifold, but these are a little hard to get now.
Cheers
Jockster
normd

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2002, 09:55:47 AM »

Hi Jockster,
          Mine is on 10 X 13 X 55's so this has given me a bit more of an idea what speed I'll gain.  I have a 40/80 cam with tripple SU's and motor is built to redline at 8500 rpm , so I got the power and that ratio should stretch out the gears for me .
      Thanks for the Info mate

Norm  

(  Huh mine was averaging about 7-10 mpg)

Jockster

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2002, 08:42:00 AM »

G'day Norm
As a point of interest, some years back I was running a 48-series with an XU-1 Bathurst Torana engine, which was further modified, M20 four speed and initially a 2.78:1 auto V8 diff centre in an EH housing. I had GR60x13 tyres on 9x13 rims. The car was ok on fuel but overgeared in top and wouldn't pull, so I changed to a 3.08:1 diff centre, which gave it plenty of grunt but only about 14 to 18 mpg on the road.
I eventually went to GR50x14 inch tyres on 9x14 rims. The car didn't lose any grunt but it then averaged 22 to 25 mpg at 75 mph, which wasn't too bad for the mods done to the engine. It took a few months of trial and error to get the right combination for power and economy Grin
Cheers Jockster

normd

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2002, 09:57:40 AM »

G'day Jockster,
        Yea , I was originally told to use a 2.78 but I thought it was a little "steep" . 3.08 sounds to be the way to go .  
        Fuel economy isn't a problem , the triples will take care of that , also the local "Servo"    hehe.
       Thanks for the info , mate , will have to keep in touch .
       cheers
       Norm

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: