FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
September 29, 2024, 09:29:07 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: custom vs modified  (Read 6622 times)
jack_fc

Model: FC

SouthWest Coast, Victoria

View Profile
« on: August 23, 2007, 12:30:23 PM »

Gday All,
There is a relatively sharp line in defining "original" as distinct from "modified" when it comes to state / national titles, but can anyone help in defining "custom" as distinct from "modified"??
At the recent Vic state titles, there was a sponsors award for "best custom".  I thought the car that won this award was very interesting (and very cool). The word "custom" often appears on this forum (in users names too) as well as in various magazines, events, etc. Is there a line seperating custom from modified?? If there is, I suspect that it may be a very blurry line...
Anyone care to comment? (Tayz, FCcool, Fehotrod, customfc, etc - over to you!)
Cheers
Jack

"when I was a young lout, it was all about sex, drugs, rock'n'roll, beer and hot Holdens. Now I'm an old lout, but I've still got the old Holdens and beer..."
TAYZ
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2007, 12:41:23 PM »

I would rate my FC as a very MILD kustom as it really has not had any kustom work done to the body.  I have tried to do mine on the lines a an early 60's Australian/American type and Im pretty much the bolt on king, dummy lake pipes/spots/skirts etc etc.

My opinion of modified as such is an FC with late model running gear, big mags and looks like somehting out of the late 70's or 1980's.  Or then you have the big buck machines with V8's etc.  I suppose a proper kustom is somehting that has had extensive re modelled body work
RET
Administrator
Guru

Model: FE

richard.e.thomas ret56fe
View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2007, 06:13:59 PM »

Under the current Nationals rules, there aren't separate classes/trophies for Modified and Custom, so it's not really an issue.

There's some interesting reading here on how it's judged for the Summernats.

cheers
RET

OurCarClub.com.au is a web-based data management application, custom built for car clubs and their volunteer officials. More info...
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2007, 06:21:23 PM »

Under the current constitution rules, to achieve stock you must be under a certain number of points awarded for non-stock variances. Custom classes work by having to achieve a set number of points away from stock before you can enter into the category. Obviously things such as Chop tops and 2 door conversions score highly but other minor body mods such as frenching, dechroming, rolled pans, recessing, custom grilles, etc etc etc can still add up to enough points to achieve the category.
The FE FC movement does not have a custom category at present simply because there are not enough cars to make up a class.  This could change if enough interest is shown

Ken
jack_fc

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2007, 07:12:54 PM »

Gday All
Thanks for the replies - some interesting info there. I probably worded the question badly - I wasnt asking in relation to state/national titles judging, merely as what is generally accepted as "modified" as distinct from "custom" by the sort of people that use this forum.
 However, the idea of a seperate section for "custom" at fefc state/nat titles is very interesting, but I sure as hell wouldnt want to be involved in setting the elegibility/ judging criteria!!!
Thanks n Cheers
Jack

"when I was a young lout, it was all about sex, drugs, rock'n'roll, beer and hot Holdens. Now I'm an old lout, but I've still got the old Holdens and beer..."
HAD 708

Holdens and the Mighty Woodsmen truly magnificent

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2007, 08:44:50 PM »

Please dont wish a custom class on us the delegates Shocked Shocked Shocked Though it will no doubt become more relevant the more vehicles that are presented over the coming years!
Cheers
Brett

Brett Gillard
customFC
nsw-club
Guru

Ask me about microwaving cats for fun or profit.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2007, 10:35:38 PM »

AHHHH the question that has an infinite number of answers.
Well, it's all about personal opinion.
When it comes to any set of 'rules', that also depends on the opinions of those making the rules.
You could say that customising involves changing the appearance of a car through body mods and/or paint.
Modified is changing the mechanicals such as motor, suspension etc.
This simple definition blurs when you consider that performing body mods could also be considered modifying and building the mechanicals using a bunch of hand crafted parts would be customising, as you are not modifying parts, but building custom parts.
For me, the difference in a modified and a custom has a determination based on style and intent.
What is the builder trying to acheive by making a change?!?

For me, the thing that annoys me is when a car wins a custom trophy, when the changes made have not been made with the intent of customising the car, rather they are indicative of clean modifications.

My car has been a CUSTOM at the past 7 Nationals..........when will this custom class be introduced???
Brett, over to you..... Smiley Cheesy Grin Wink

Regards
Alex

customFC
nsw-club
Guru

Ask me about microwaving cats for fun or profit.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2007, 10:42:30 PM »

Oh hang on, just used my fingers,

it's been to 8 Nationals as a CUSTOM.  Cool
Regards
Alex

NO NAME

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2007, 11:43:40 PM »

it wouldnt be hard to seperate the two but if there were seperate classes i think it would be best left upto the owner to decide what category.
 there is a obvious diffeence between a modern street machine stle with modern billets and high back bucket seats and a traditional style custom.
 either way it doesnt bother me at a fe fc nationals, i just go there to drink piss with enthusiests you wouldnt normally see in person but like Alex says, it sucks at a show were a street machine style car wins top custom and a nicely thought out custom is left out.
 usually on a entry form i cross out modified and stock and write custom.
what is funny is when people come over and i show them what ive done and they then say-
 "mate, this is going to look good finnished, you now just need to get the paint on, get the windows tinted black, get some mags and it will look sweet"

Custom is more restyled  1 off specail and a modified just a hotted up car.
 customs are stylish, modifieds are tuff, with a custom style is more important than function, a modified looks different from stock due to performance modifications, some times the two have simularities.

Ed
Guru

Ed74mnd
View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2007, 08:59:40 AM »

I just read the summernats judging thing and it was all too confusing

An identity crisis is at hand!

According to the "rules"...
On one hand my car may be called a "retrotech" however there's not enough hi tech gadgets to fully qualify it...or maybe it's a "custom" but it doesnt have enough mods to make it one, or maybe it's a modified?  but 80's style it really isnt either, but it has some elements there as well i spose.

I dislike the labels and pigeon holes made to classify cars, I think it just makes car builders construct a car to meet category requirements.

Back to the question though, I reckon customs are re-styled to improve their looks.
You know... take off the daggy bits, clean it up, restyle it a little to improve it's look, or add a little touch here or there to make it unique and something special.. that's a custom.

A "modified" probably relates more to mechanicals than style.

so.. ive got a modified custom... Cheesy Cheesy

Cheers

Ed

in the shed
jack_fc

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2007, 09:28:39 AM »

Alex, its the "personal opinions" you mentioned that I am really seeking - I'm certainly not pushing for a "custom" section at state/nat titles (but i can understand why others might want this, and would possibly be inclined to support such a move - sorry Brett!)
I've given my FC the look that i personally wanted; and I really dont give a rodents rectum what others think about its STYLE, but I do appreciate constructive criticism from others on its QUALITY, and what improvements could be made without compromising that style... Like TAYZ, I'm trying for the early 60's "hottie" look, but more aussie than yank, and with a touch of "gentlemans express" thrown into the mix...
This thread arose out of a question put to me by a mate - "is your car "modified" or a "custom" - to which i could only answer "shit, I dont really know!"
Thanks for all the very interesting replies - I still cant decide whether mines modified or custom or a bit of both!! not that it matters much; it is what it is...
What I do now know is that I want to catch up with you blokes at the nats and discuss this further, (over a cool drink or three, of course...)
Cheers n thanks
jack
ps Ed, just read your reply; I think I may have a "modified custom" too...

Hotlips
sa-club

I love my EFFEE

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2007, 12:21:00 PM »

Well now, Pity the FX-FJ nationals they have 7 (yes count them) classes and in custom class I believe there are 3 classes - MILD, WILD AND EXTREME - so that makes 4 classes in stock which if I can recall are Original (completely untouched since new); Restored using original parts; Restored; and ??can't think what the next class is but it sure gets confusing if you ask me.  I kind of like the idea of two stock classes and two modified classes.

**The difference in Macquarie dictionary: Modify- to change somewhat the form or qualities of; alter somewhat; to become changed.  Custom- a habitual practice; the usual way of acting in given circumstances; habits or usages collectively.
So with those explanations how did "custom" get to be a car class??  Cheers Hotlips

I am woman, hear me ROAR - "vrrmm vrrmm"
Ed
Guru

Ed74mnd
View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2007, 12:25:53 PM »

Custom- a habitual practice; the usual way of acting in given circumstances; habits or usages collectively.
So with those explanations how did "custom" get to be a car class??
Hotlips,

It is indeed a habitual practice to take a perfectly good car, cut it up, weld it back to make it even better!

and given any perfectly good car, I reckon most "customisers" would do the same.

I reckon that's why it's a custom. Smiley

or could it be custom building something to suit personal taste??

Cheers

Ed

in the shed
Glenn 'Stinky' Stankevicius
Guru

Model: FE and FC

Willaston, South Australia

Glenn.Stankevicius
View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2007, 04:04:21 PM »

Macquarie dictionary

Now that is "old school"  Grin
what wrong with wikipedia?  Tongue
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Custom_car

melburgorbust

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2007, 11:49:34 AM »

i always pictured custom more as an aesthetic/stylistic changes to the car and modified as performance orientated changes, btu if you have done both, as alot of people do?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: