FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
September 29, 2024, 01:32:13 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you a member of one of the FE-FC Holden Car Clubs of Australia ? If you are, get access to the Club-Member-only area of this discussion board. Send an IM to the board admin, including your real name and club to get access.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: electroplating prep.  (Read 14363 times)
Ed
Guru

Model: FE

Ed74mnd
View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2007, 08:46:10 AM »

Sorry i don't know a chemical that would strip chrome, I dare say it would be extremely toxic and difficult to handle.

got the zinced parts back today and everything is great, except I sent the tailgate struts (upper) to be plated and the process has killed the die cast switch in the latch, so I guess these are now useless...

anybody got some nice tailgate struts uppers?

otherwise gas struts?

Cheers

Ed

in the shed
Rabbitoh
vic-club

FE - 'King of Cars'

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 11, 2007, 01:20:23 PM »

add the molasses to around 8 liters of water to 1 litre of mollasses. Mix well and wait about two weeks depending on the temperature where you live. The mollasses starts to ferment and smell like dog turds ( true ).  A chemical reaction occurs bettween the rust and the fermented mollasses.It takes bettween 4 and 6 weeks depending on the severity of the rust .
Confirmation please, do you need to leave solution sitting for 2 weeks prior to dipping parts in, or can you plop 'em in at the start?

Fortius Quo Fidelius 1966; Saints' 2nd in 2025?
Bunnies' 22nd in 2025?
sgo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: September 11, 2007, 06:32:25 PM »

Mix it up, remove all paint and grease from parts, tie them to a wire and hang them in, submerged.
Check them every few days for progress and most bits will be done by 2 weeks.
Hose them down at any stage to see how the're going and at the end.

mitchy

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 02, 2007, 08:57:46 PM »

hi ed go to your local supermarket buy i plastic container of costic soda  i large bucket  empty contents of costic into bucket fill bucket with cold water only  add your part leave for a few days hose paint off . place part into same size bucket of cleaning vinigar from local supermarket leave for few days hose of should now be ready for chrome or paint regards mitch ( brookvale )
Ed
Guru

Ed74mnd
View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 03, 2007, 07:53:51 AM »

Hey Mitch,

Great to hear from you again,
I did exactly what you described and it worked a treat, I should post some pics of the end result after zinc plating.  The hardest paint to shift was the etch primer, the top coats literally fell off but I had to gently scrub the etch primer away.

Cheers

Ed

in the shed
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: