FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
June 07, 2024, 09:21:15 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you a member of one of the FE-FC Holden Car Clubs of Australia ? If you are, get access to the Club-Member-only area of this discussion board. Send an IM to the board admin, including your real name and club to get access.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Poll
Question:  retro fit EFI to a 179-186
can i fit EFI to 179/186? -
0 0%
retro fittin efi to 179/186? -
1 100%
Total Voters: 1

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: fitting EFI to 179-186  (Read 7408 times)
Kat58

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« on: July 23, 2007, 11:59:04 AM »

Not wanting to re-engineer our early holden to a 202 EFI i want to know? can a earlier mill be retro fitted with th later hop up gear?.We have a 192 here 60thou over with a blue motor crank that needs a rebuild can i just slot in th EFI cam,dizzy,modify th head and build some headers to fit or is it more invoved than that?.Now i'm aware of all extra mods required to bring th car up to spec as we have a EFi
rod project on th go. So can 179's to 186's go EFI?.
Ed
Guru

Model: FE

Ed74mnd
View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2007, 02:07:59 PM »

Hey Kat58,

Smithy on this forum is working on something very similar to what you are after.

He is using the Delco 808 ECU, and last update it was taking shape nicely.

A search should reveal it in the modification section from memory.

Cheers

Ed

in the shed
NES304
Guru

Model: FC

Yes Dear

nes304
View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2007, 07:37:37 PM »

Kat 58,
I'd just find a quality black efi and stuff that in. Re engineering to 202 would have to be less painful?

RET
Administrator
Guru

richard.e.thomas ret56fe
View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2007, 09:48:30 AM »

Different engineering rules in NSW once you go over 200ci. Collapsible column required, etc.

This topic has been discussed before. The black/blue head will fit a red block with some drilling and plugging of the mismatched water jacket holes. Sounds like you've got the other bolt-on bits and pieces covered.

cheers
RET

OurCarClub.com.au is a web-based data management application, custom built for car clubs and their volunteer officials. More info...
Kat58

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2007, 10:13:00 PM »

yeah we scoped out th drilling of th block images,easy enough to do.Are headers available to suit 12port head in a fc/ek? Either as a kit or off th shelf?.
smithy
Guru

yeah its purple !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2007, 09:21:58 PM »

hi Kat, first time ive been online for a while. so here goes.
as Ed mentioned i am in the process of retro-fitting EFI to my 186 (192)  186 block with 12 port black head
i am using VK crappadore intake manifold, VN/ VP throttle body (needs a little modification to fit to the manifold)
computer from a VN ( delco 808), modified electronic dissy from a VC commy and the engine/ injection wiring harness from the JE camira ( just splice in 2 extra wires) magna injectors and assorted hardware and junk.
if you use the VK distributor you will need to manufacture a crack angle sensor  for the front or rear of the motor or use the complete engine , computer and wiring from the VK. but take note by using the VK computer you will not be able to reprogram the chip for increase in cam size etc. the 808 with the right software and brains will let you re wright all the engine codes

the drilling of the block is quite simple just use the blue/ black head gasket and take your time with the four holes. if pistons etc are still in block make sure ports are well sealed against crap falling into the bores..

i assume you are using the VK inlet manifold if so then cool, these will give you great low - mid range tourque.
i have only just got my headers fitted, after much chasing i eneded up getting a set from Castle Auto Electrics ( also trading as Castle Exhaust 03 5472 1442 ) 1 phone call and $360, 2 days later they are on my front door- perfect fit and very, very happy with the quality.

just be careul where you get the pipes from. Pacemaker will also do a set for blue/ black into FE-FC but you have to ask if they will suit EFI as some claim to but dont.

any more help feel free to drop me a pm, happy to help if i can.

oh and Ed i havent done a bloody thing to the car for a couple of months, too shagged from working six days a week then 2 comp matches of soccer on sunday followed by traditional healthy refreshments Cheesy
plus the minus something temps dont inspire a great deal of work to be done..
but it will be done.

cheers
dean

i may be getting older, but i refuse to grow up!
Ed
Guru

Ed74mnd
View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2007, 08:45:46 AM »

Smithy,

thanks for sharing that research, it should be a rerally cool set up with heaps of ability to tune to your motor.

2 games of soccer on sundays!
we've been having make up rounds, 1 on sat and 1 on sundays whcih can be a little disruptive to car work as you say.

Cheers

Ed

in the shed
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: