FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
September 29, 2024, 07:39:22 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Rear Gearbox Crossmember  (Read 2224 times)
crowbar
vic-club

Model: FE

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« on: June 20, 2007, 10:22:40 PM »

Has anyone made up a rear cross member to suit a Toyota 5 speed to FE
Any tips would be greatly appreciated
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2007, 03:38:18 AM »

This is an interesting issue. I made a rear crossmember for a 5 speed Celica box into an FC and it mounted onto the 4 bolt holes where the original crossmember was and then extended back to the rear mount on the gearbox.  I ran that car for maybe 6 years without any problems, BUT i'm not sure that it would be legal now engineering wise.  I assume you are mating the gearbox to a red six with an adaptor bracket?
If so are you going to get the car engineered ?
If all this is correct - ask your engineer what he wants to see. Some may want to see a chassis kit from rear spring hanger to the crossmember under the front floor and then run a HQ style gearbox mount off that, others may be happy with the mount I have described. None will be happy with mounting a bracket off the floor pan.

Regards  Ken
crowbar
vic-club

Model: FE

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2007, 04:14:41 AM »

Thanks Ken
As I have bigger plans for the foture it looks like a Chasis kit is the way to go
Geoff_K
nsw-club

The 2 BAY s

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2007, 06:41:59 AM »

Hi crowbar,
As Ken has indicated you can bolt up to the original 4 holes.
My FE passed NSW Engineering in 2006, with the following design.
An above floor stiffener was added, similiar to an EK Auto, only a bit tougher.
Underfloor, the cross channel for the gearbox was cut to fit the gearbox extension through and then stiffened with a 5mm flat plate running over the hump (the original floor hump has been retained, with the engine set low).
The under Gearbox support bracket was made strong, and when it was all bolted up it forms a stiffer/stronger cross member, with the Celica 5 speed gearbox going through the centre.
A chassis kit would make it stronger again, and I might add one when the car is stripped down for restoration/rebuild.
Cheers, Geoff_K
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: