FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
June 24, 2024, 10:56:56 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: red six oil pump help  (Read 4069 times)
Dave_EH

Keep on Holden' on

View Profile
« on: May 26, 2007, 12:30:02 AM »

Is there a rebuild kit available for a red six oil pump, or aftermarket pumps available?

I have also read that most aftermarket performance companies do not recommend using a high volume pump on a street driven motor.

Does anyone know if the XU1 had a different oil pump to those vehicles fitted with standard engines?

My pump is only producing 30psi hot or cold at revs.  I've tried Valvoline 20/50, Penrite 25/70 and now using Penzoil GT Racing 25w-50 with no difference in oil pressure all in the last 1000 miles.

I'd have a guess and say my oil pump is just worn out.

I'll have my headers off this weekend, so a good chance to jack the motor up and change the pump.
fccool59

rain sucks     http://www.yout ube.com/watch?v =N1Uj

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2007, 07:01:44 AM »

i bought a acl oil pump rebuild kit, then i bought a whole new hv oil pump, it was a long hard decision between standard and hv, i still have the oil pump kit, if you were close by i would sell it for $30

rain sucks  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1Ujma1lBac    rain sucks     rain sucks
TTV6FC
Guru

Model: FC

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2007, 08:03:17 AM »

I Had a HR which I built an XU-1 spec motor for.It had a J.P high volume pump which ran around 45-60 PSI most of the time.You will always hear different opinions but I never had a problem running that pump in normal street driven situations as well as the consistant flogging it got going to trade school and back!Previous to the high volume pump,i would have got about 30 psi most of the time.Depends what you can afford.Cheers,Jamie.

Run your fingers over my Holden and I'll run my Holden over your fingers!!!!
fastjbav6
wa-club

OK start her up !

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2007, 02:18:29 AM »

As a general rule you oniy require 7 psi for every 1000 rpm the engine produces according to one engine reconditioner I've spoken to.

Seb

Yellow Knight

Dave_EH

Keep on Holden' on

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2007, 01:01:31 AM »

Thank you all for your assistance.

After some deliberation I purchased a new HV pump on the weekend, as as the retailer had surplus stock I got it for $123 - about $45 below average price.

I'm told the HV pump places a little extra strain on the drive gear, but not much.  In anycase, the engine doesnt clock up many miles anyhow.

The 7 psi per 1000rpm theory seems to be in circulation, so if I set myself to a self imposed limit to about 6000rpm I should be fine with the new pump.

Leon, thanks for the offer - and a good price too.  In the end the new unit makes sense, as the pump casing is likely to be worn anyhow and the HV will keep it a little happier at idle.

Still to fit the pump, so will update with the results.

Regards and thanks for the ongoing help.
ekolden

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2007, 11:37:08 PM »

i bought a acl oil pump rebuild kit, then i bought a whole new hv oil pump, it was a long hard decision between standard and hv, i still have the oil pump kit, if you were close by i would sell it for $30

hi there,
fccool-- is the kit a hv rebuild kit?
cheers--ek
NO NAME

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2007, 09:39:21 PM »

no, its just a standard acl rebuild kit, it comes with new gears, part no. op222c

i also have a chrome oil pump cover i didnt use, still in the pack, i dont know if they still make them as i had trouble finding one, i'll sell that for $20

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: