FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
September 29, 2024, 04:15:27 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: type of hydraulic lifters?  (Read 5662 times)
Ed
Guru

Model: FE

Ed74mnd
View Profile
« on: May 22, 2007, 10:10:55 PM »

Guys,

Im freshening up my motor and need some advice on lifters.

I had put new cam and lifters in the motor (308 ) however there was a ticking noise that sounded  like the lifters were bad?

the block had been decked and heads shaved so not sure if the lifters were actually bad.
In addition the rocker gear and pushrods were aged.

Im planning on getting new rocker gear and pushrods, would it be wise to instal new lifters (only 13,000 kms old).
Also what are anti pump hydraulic lifters?

Cheers

Ed

in the shed
TTV6FC
Guru

Model: FC

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2007, 08:08:30 AM »

For the cost of new lifters,it's definitely worth it.Anti-pump ups have a bit of leakage at higher revs to allow valves to fully close.How old is the cam,and have you got adjustable rockers?If the cam has done a fair bit of work and the standard non-adjustable rocker gear is worn,they can tick like buggery.Cheers,Jamie. Smiley

Run your fingers over my Holden and I'll run my Holden over your fingers!!!!
Ed
Guru

Ed74mnd
View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2007, 08:45:11 PM »

Hey Jamie,

the cam and lifters are 13,000 kms old.
pushrods and rocker gear are worn.

after some thought, i'm just going to put new pushrods and adjustable rockers in at this stage.

most ticking was only when cold so it may have been from excessive clearance in the bores.

Cheers

Ed

in the shed
Ed
Guru

Ed74mnd
View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2007, 08:43:14 PM »

Discovered what the nois ein the motor was..

one of the rocker bridges had snapped in half, the rocker had some lateral movement and sent the pushrod into the sidewalls... so it was the sound of the pushrod hitting the block.

this is the 2nd replacement of that particular rocker set.. the previous time the pushrod went thru the rocker.

these holden motors arent much chop in the valve train area....

Also noticed my 15,000 km old double row timing chain seems to have stretched...

It has about 10mm inflexion on the chain and the cam has play independent of the crank moving, rollmaster rubbish??

im debating a set of timing gears.. noise and all....
i really do not drive this car hard, it hasnt even been down to the nostalgia drags.

Cheers

Ed

in the shed
TTV6FC
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2007, 08:07:24 AM »

That'll do it,not my first guess though....glad you got it sorted.Cheers, Jamie.

Ed
Guru

Ed74mnd
View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2007, 10:28:24 PM »

Hey Jamie,

checked the cam timing using a degree wheel. turns out everything was spot on, so the chain isnt stretched, it's just that crap from the factory, and the Holden motor being a dinosaur pushrod motor is perfectly happy
Grin

so also checked preload on the hydraulic lifter and it was about .035"  perfect.

so i figure the old rockers and bridges were just weak..

getting some roller rockers now.

Cheers

Ed

in the shed
TTV6FC
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2007, 10:45:32 PM »

Hey Ed,sounds like you got it sorted.When choosing your rollers,just make sure you can get guide plates for them (if you're not getting the post type ones).I run Crane gold series rollers on my 308/355 (non VN head) which are not fixed (need pushrod guide plates).After eventually finding guide plates from Crow cams,I found I had to cut them in half,get them the right width,then spot weld them back together.Not difficult,just time consuming.I believe others have had to do the same.The other fixed post type rollers don't need guides apparently.I also run a rollmaster chain and  found the same amount of slop in it after a short time,but checked the cam timing and found it to be negligible,replaced the chain anyway.Cheers,Jamie Smiley

Ed
Guru

Ed74mnd
View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2007, 10:59:15 PM »

Good advice Jamie,

I've decided to get the Crane Energizer bolt ons.

these come with guide plates I'm told, in addition if i upgrade to a stronger set up using bigger studs, the rocker arms will be able to be used.

how does the 355 go on fuel?  i often think about doing that to mine.
Im running VN heads and dual plane Harrop manifold.

Cheers

Ed

in the shed
TTV6FC
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2007, 11:26:54 PM »

It's not great,but considering I only drive it every so often and when I do,it gets a bit of a hiding,I can live with it.It only runs a carbie(750 DP) and would be far better with fuel injection.It was never built for economy,was built as a tough street/strip car but since AIR has been out of action for so long (still is) I stil don't know how well it really goes.I have my email adress listed if you want to know any more.Cheers,Jamie Smiley

Ed
Guru

Ed74mnd
View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2007, 03:53:08 AM »

Can i use a cam and matching lifters in a "new" block.

or must the lifters be replaced?

Cheers

Ed

in the shed
TTV6FC
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2007, 06:35:25 AM »

Sorry Ed,maybe that third beer I just finished is kicking in but I'm not sure about your question?Can you word it another way perhaps.Are you building a new motor(new block) and asking if you can use your old cam and lifters?Just noticed all my spelling mistakes in the last reply... Huh

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: