FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
October 06, 2024, 09:32:37 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you a member of one of the FE-FC Holden Car Clubs of Australia ? If you are, get access to the Club-Member-only area of this discussion board. Send an IM to the board admin, including your real name and club to get access.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: dealer fitted option  (Read 4239 times)
ekdave

www.offyarocker promotions.com

View Profile
« on: April 17, 2007, 10:22:34 PM »

could anyone tell me if extractors and twin carbies could have been fitted to a grey motor as a after market acc at a holden dealers work shop back in the day
just like any other nasco acc fitted b4 you picked up your car
if so would any one have any old coppies of articles related to this aswell

cheers dave

***just cruise***
                    FB-EK HOLDEN CAR CLUB
           OF SOUTH AUSTRALIA INCORPORATED
http://adelaideearlyholdens.forumsplace.com/index.html
RET
Administrator
Guru

Model: FE

richard.e.thomas ret56fe
View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2007, 03:35:25 AM »

Well, they could have been, because they were generally available items.  Some dealers did sell non-Nasco accessories and do conversions etc.  I've got a price-list from W.T. Coggins that includes such items as:

- whitewalls
- tow-bar
- ute canopy

... and many others that weren't "Nasco".

However, extractors and twin-carbs weren't among the list, and I can't help wondering whether there might have been warranty implications that led to these sorts of things not being sold in any "official" capacity.  After all, you can get your ECOTEC re-chipped, but not at your Holden dealer.

Having said all that, a leaf through any old issue of Modern Motor or Wheels from the late 50s shows any number of suppliers and distributors of this sort of kit.  I doubt new car dealers would be amongst them, though.

cheers
RET

OurCarClub.com.au is a web-based data management application, custom built for car clubs and their volunteer officials. More info...
ekdave

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2007, 11:26:26 AM »

i was thinking back in the day if you seen them  as a aftermarket accessory  and purchased them from where ever they were sold and took them allong to your local holden dealer they  could have done the work in their shop
but like you said warranty would/may have been a issue

just a bit of research  because if i could prove that a dealer could have fitted them
there would be a chance that historic rego would have passed them  
wishfull thinkin ?
cheers dave

***just cruise***
                    FB-EK HOLDEN CAR CLUB
RET
Administrator
Guru

Model: FE

richard.e.thomas ret56fe
View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2007, 12:33:17 PM »

I wondered if that was where you were going with the question.

In NSW, you're permitted "period modifications".  The exact definition of this is up to the clubs to determine, but the rule we follow is that if an accessory or modification appeared in advertisements in contemporary magazines like Modern Motor or Wheels, then it probably counts as commonplace enough to pass.

Wild and wonderful features - stuff like Dunstan heads or Perkins Diesel powered FEs - don't count.  But twins and extractors are certainly acceptable based on this rule, as there were many different types cast, sold and advertised in these motoring magazines.

What exactly are the rules in SA, and how is one to interpret them?  After all,  there must be a few "grey areas" with respect to factory/dealer/aftermarket accessorising.

cheers
RET

OurCarClub.com.au is a web-based data management application, custom built for car clubs and their volunteer officials. More info...
ekdave

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2007, 01:03:31 PM »

well i reccon stinky would have a better idea on the subject on the sa rules

my point to them was that  my ek has a lot of after market acc on it  wheel spats rear venition door mirrors  bonnet  bird and so on
i said that what is the difference they didnt fit them factory so why could i have them and not twin carbs extractors and alloy cover?
its performance enhancing i just laughed at him and said it dont go any faster than it did b4

so he said if i can prove or find any info that a holden dealer fitted them he would pass it 4 historic rego

so im doing my best to find as much info as i can

cheers dave

***just cruise***
                    FB-EK HOLDEN CAR CLUB
tommo65

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2007, 07:13:12 PM »

Dave I am sort of in the same boat as I have "Vintage Classic Car" plates my car also has extractors [no other mods yet]
I have been told by some parties they have to go to keep the plates $84 bucks a year Smiley or else get normal rego $500 bucks a year Sad.
Others say no probs so I will have to state my case to the local car club on the first Sunday of next month. One of our Chief Ministers was a Hot rod fanatic so our laws are pretty friendly on mods but there are a few grey area's.

Cheers Tommo
Glenn 'Stinky' Stankevicius
Guru

Model: FE and FC

Willaston, South Australia

Glenn.Stankevicius
View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2007, 09:25:42 PM »

The system in SA wasn't as tight as it is now, period mods were OK and so was LPG. Unfortunately the system was abused and they clamped the rules down to stock only.
I am planning on getting the FC Wagon on Historic Rego one day, that's why I swapped the extractors for a standard manifold. Even the alloy rocker cover has to go  Roll Eyes
CD players are OK as long as they are discreet, no doof-doof systems.
Electric wipers are OK too.

At the end of the day it really depends on the inspector's interpretation of a modification. Probably more to the point it depends on the Police's interpretation of mods, because there are stiff penalties for the owner and club if you get caught in a modded car on Historic Rego.

THOMMO_2

FB-EK Car Club of SA

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2007, 05:15:34 AM »

Its high time that there should be a registration for modified vehicles of the pre pollution era.
Similar to hot rod rego in other states.

All these cars are loved & cherished by there owners,
and are almost a rarity on the roads during peak hour/ business hours.

They are hobby cars these days, not HOON mobiles.

Dont get me wound up on this one Angry

USE IT OR LOSE IT
Glenn 'Stinky' Stankevicius
Guru

Model: FE and FC

Willaston, South Australia

Glenn.Stankevicius
View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2007, 10:17:30 AM »

There are rumours, there was supposedly a group of people working on a system. Sadly it was all surrounded in secrecy and seems to have disappeared altogether.
I posted a question about it on the SMASA forum ages ago and no reply.

ekdave

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2007, 07:21:29 AM »

im still looking  guna give it a shot

cheers dave

***just cruise***
                    FB-EK HOLDEN CAR CLUB
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print