FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
June 28, 2024, 08:44:01 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you a member of one of the FE-FC Holden Car Clubs of Australia ? If you are, get access to the Club-Member-only area of this discussion board. Send an IM to the board admin, including your real name and club to get access.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: harmonic balancer bolt (again)  (Read 3012 times)
fccool59

rain sucks     http://www.yout ube.com/watch?v =N1Uj

View Profile WWW
« on: April 07, 2007, 08:42:38 AM »

does this look like the correct bolt to use when fitting a bolt to prevent the balancer from coming off, its a chev 7/16 bolt.

Also i heard something about drilling the end off the bolt to put wire through since a lock tab cant be used, anyone done this?

rain sucks  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1Ujma1lBac    rain sucks     rain sucks
craiga
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2007, 08:59:39 AM »

Hi Leon,

My balancer was supplied with the correct bolt so I didn't have to buy one, but the one you have shown is good quality but looks too long to me.

Instead of wiring the bolt head why don't you just use loctite? Simple and you don't need to do any extra work.

By the way, how bloody pricey are these ARP bolts. I used them for me flywheel attachment bolts. EXPENSIVE!!!

Cheers,

Craig.
fccool59

rain sucks     http://www.yout ube.com/watch?v =N1Uj

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2007, 09:12:12 AM »

Craig, it was either this 7/16 bolt or a 1/2" bolt they had in crank bolts, i thought it looked long, what the hell am i going to do now!

everything i could get in arp i did but yeah, they are pretty dear, i had to get gm flex plate bolts, they were only $1 each at american autos, they only had arp for manual flywheels but i bought arp chev torque convertor bolts, everything inside the motor is arp except the head studs (well kinda) all the outside bolts are hotbitz, the head studs were made from two milodon chev mains kits wich cost a fortune, later i found out american autos get arp kits now for holden headstuds and they are only $99 a set, less than half what mine cost but i get a couple spare.
I wanted arp, whats funny but is i noticed it says arp on the milodon nuts.

i was told to use wire and loctite a few times, maybe thats excessive paranioa.

rain sucks  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1Ujma1lBac    rain sucks     rain sucks
bent8-58

The older it gets-the slower it was!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2007, 10:42:39 AM »

l've seen the damage balancers do when they come off a few times,but all l've ever used is loctite on them(green on the balancer-shaft-fit & red on the bolt-reds stronger than blue-l cant remember theyre numbers) make sure everything is CLEAN- l also use loctite primer l think its 7471 from memory a little green & red aerosol can its cleans everything ready for assembly. lts not cheap but it lasts for ages & considering the alternatives its cheap insurance l reckon. Wink      Daz.

I LOVE CATS.....BUT I CANT EAT A WHOLE ONE BY MYSELF.
fc4me

I love YaBB 1 Gold!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2007, 10:16:37 PM »

Green would be 609 and red most likely 262 . Hope you dont want to get it off in a hurry.
trevmc62

FC =fun car

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2007, 08:10:30 AM »

if the bolt is too long you can get a nut and wind it on to bolt right up to head (if thread goes all the way up that is) if threat stops short use washers to bridge gap then place bolt into the the balancer bracket and tighten bolt as far you can after this you do this take the nut you placed on in step 1 and move it back down the bolt away from the bolt head to take wobble out. p.s. like other i say loctite it

T junctions you get there with the better half navigating and the missus says "Turn left right here" ?!.....bugger!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: