FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
July 05, 2024, 04:00:07 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Painting of FC Holden  (Read 2902 times)
howler

View Profile
« on: December 12, 2006, 04:38:52 AM »

Hi guys

We have 1959 Holden FC that's in the need of a repaint.

We've got two (2) quotes and they are $5,000 and $7,000 for a repaint.  Embarrassed

Seems excessive?? Can anyone else help?

Contact on ghow4648@bigpond.net.au or post to this forum.

Thanks
RET
Administrator
Guru

Model: FE

richard.e.thomas ret56fe
View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2006, 07:05:56 AM »

howler,

paint-jobs ain't paint-jobs, if you know what I mean.  There are so many variables to take into consideration, I don't think anybody is going to be able to give you a considered opinion from the info you've provided.  The cost of a paint-job is one of those "how long is a piece of string?" questions.

Are they planning to strip the car completely, or just mask up the trim and windows and throw a coat of jam over the top?  Is it being painted inside and out?  If the car is being pulled down, who's doing it?  You or them?  Is it being painted in 2-pack or acrylic?  What about panel-beating or rust repair?

To be honest, if they're doing all the work and the car is being stripped down and painted inside and out, it sounds a bit cheap, esp. the 5K price.

What part of the world are you in?  There might be people on the forum who can give you some local recommendations.

cheers
RET

OurCarClub.com.au is a web-based data management application, custom built for car clubs and their volunteer officials. More info...
bent8-58

The older it gets-the slower it was!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2006, 10:38:54 AM »

I agree with RET the real big question is what do you get for the money?  If you can get a written quote stipulating exactly what they are doing (& arent doin) it saves a lot of arguements at the pointy end of the deal.
In my experience these days they are 99% panel fitters
& 1%  panel beaters,most are all keen at the start of the job but after it drags on & on like a REAL project does a lot of them seem to cut corners & lose interest.I'm not bagging every panel beater in Oz, i know theres some amazingly talented guys out there,a lot of which I've seen or heard about on this website, in my humble opinion you have to find someone who is genuinely interested in doing the job & seeing it through.
I like a lot of people have been burned & the last 2 cars  I've done myself(maybe another option ?).
Some friends we know just paid $9500 for a paint-job probably 2 years ago from a fairly well known painter .
The first time i saw it in the flesh ( & completed) i could not believe the faults in the paint & prep,i would never tell them ,cause to them it was Mickey Mouse ,but i'm just a dummy & i saw faults as soon as i saw it!  Be careful!                  DAZ.

I LOVE CATS.....BUT I CANT EAT A WHOLE ONE BY MYSELF.
SRVLIVES

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2006, 10:54:15 AM »

Mine will cost $2000 in primer, and that's with me doing nearly all the bare metal work and getting it at family rates!

Though mine did need rust repairs to all panels and the front floor.......

fccool59

rain sucks     http://www.yout ube.com/watch?v =N1Uj

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2006, 11:37:06 AM »

the alternative is doing it yourself, you could spend 1500 on gear and materials and do 6k of work yourself, if you just want a tidy up you could do it for $250 but thats if you have acsess to equiptment, for your first job its good to have someone with experience at sucsessfully painting cars hangin around your house. my last paint job on my car was even less than $250.
to do a proper job takes a lot of work and you might even find yourself saying"why didn't i jump at that 7k paint job quote"
You also need lots of undercover space.
anyway, i would be worried about getting my car painted by someone for under 5k unless you are taking the car in already prepped for paint.

rain sucks  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1Ujma1lBac    rain sucks     rain sucks
howler

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2006, 01:28:23 AM »

Appreciate the responses guys - things you learn - the price sounds not so bad after all - especially if it's done right.

We're in Brisbane (northside) so will get proper written quotes etc - the cars in very good condition, only a couple of small rust spots that I'm aware of.

Will let you know how we go.
suziecreamcheese

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2006, 10:35:33 AM »

cruizin paint and panel at tingalpa did job for me dave johnson used to run dont know if there still around did great work
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: