FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
September 21, 2024, 06:45:30 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you a member of one of the FE-FC Holden Car Clubs of Australia ? If you are, get access to the Club-Member-only area of this discussion board. Send an IM to the board admin, including your real name and club to get access.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: dash lights  (Read 12418 times)
NES304
Guru

Model: FC

Yes Dear

nes304
View Profile
« on: November 21, 2006, 09:45:27 AM »

Finally have the wiring sorted out (almost) everything works except the dash / dash indicator lights. The red ones work and the resistor wire is broken so I moved the corresponding grey wire to the other side of the light switch to the middle one of the three that are there so it is on when the light switch is pulled.
Any hints.
Cheers

Martin

Jim

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2006, 11:11:43 AM »

With both the dash lights & the indicators not working, it sounds like an earthing problem to me - but that seems a remote possibility.  Did you do the testing with the dash screwed back in place?  If you tested with the dash panel out, then earthing could be the answer.  If you had it in place and screwed firmly, then I'd try with a "star" lock washer on each long screw.  These will "bite" into the frame to help the earthing.

Martin

The liver is evil.  It must be PUNISHED

Martin
Marion.  South Aust.

Ebay user id:  lewis1411
NES304
Guru

Yes Dear

nes304
View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2006, 10:17:11 PM »

Martin,
       I think you might be right, later on after I had given up I placed the cluster panel back and the speedo lit up. the other gauges didn't and neither did the indicators. Sometimes the fuel gauge would read full when lights on and the red light at top of speedo would illuminate even if everything was turned off. If it is an earthing problem, would would be the cause of the rest?

Glenn 'Stinky' Stankevicius
Guru

Model: FE and FC

Willaston, South Australia

Glenn.Stankevicius
View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2006, 03:19:21 AM »

Earthing problems cause all sorts of weird (and expensive) things to happen. Double check all your earths and when testing stuff like gauges and dash lights, hook up a battery charger instead of a battery. This way there is less chance of any permanent damage if things are a little bit wrong.

NES304
Guru

Yes Dear

nes304
View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2006, 05:05:34 AM »

Cheers stinky The indicators in the dash have a black wire running to them which I assume is the earth, Doesn't explain why they don't work??

Guru

Glenn.Stankevicius
View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2006, 05:31:57 AM »

If memory serves, the indicators earth to the dash housing as do the other lights. I'm not sure how the housing earths though.

RET
Administrator
Guru

Model: FE

richard.e.thomas ret56fe
View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2006, 06:30:55 AM »

The black wires should go to the flasher unit pole marked "P".  They are not the earth - the whole car has -ve earth.  The dash housing simply earths to the body.

Nes, your car was an FE, right?  Then you should be using this wiring diagram.

Late '59 (separate indicators) FCs should use this one.

cheers
RET

OurCarClub.com.au is a web-based data management application, custom built for car clubs and their volunteer officials. More info...
NES304
Guru

Yes Dear

nes304
View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2006, 09:02:53 AM »

yeah ret thats right (I'm assuming) It came with a couple of Id tags but the wire loom I have is from another car and its a 58 special. And that is the diagram I am using (first one). I just assumed they were earth as they were black but they are connected to the pole.

MikeM
wa-club

My v6 "upgrade" was about better brakes :(

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2006, 12:25:35 PM »

Not sure it is the same thing but I had some (very) wierd experiences with my indicators some time back and it turned out that it was caused by the wire that (didnt correctly) terminate at the junction box where all lighting wires etc all connect at the front of the engine bay.  

The bit that confused me is that it was the opposite side to the side that I was having the issue with (but my car has been messed with A LOT, so I guess it shouldnt be too surprising Smiley.

Cheers
Mike
RET
Administrator
Guru

richard.e.thomas ret56fe
View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2006, 12:47:22 AM »

The bit that confused me is that it was the opposite side to the side that I was having the issue with (but my car has been messed with A LOT, so I guess it shouldnt be too surprising

Actually, that's sort-of a design feature (along the lines of the saying "any sufficiently advanced bug is indistinguishable from a feature", that people in IT have probably heard).

Anyhoo, the circuit to the dash tell-tale indicators has the lowest resistance in the whole setup.  The benefit of this is that if there is a problem in the indicator (and by extension brake warning light in FEs/most FCs), you'll get both tell-tale indicators strobing, which tells you that one of the external globes has failed. Nifty, eh?

cheers
RET

OurCarClub.com.au is a web-based data management application, custom built for car clubs and their volunteer officials. More info...
NES304
Guru

Yes Dear

nes304
View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2006, 11:17:58 AM »

I ran an earth wire and tapped it on each bulb to see if it had blown... replaced two. Now they all work when the light switch is pulled. the only other problem is now, when I indicate Left the right bulb lights up and visa versa. I checked the diagram and the light and dark blue wires for each of the indicators are the correct way... thoughts?
Wondering also, whats the red light on the speedo for?

Guru

Glenn.Stankevicius
View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2006, 12:19:41 PM »

Red light on the speedo is the high-beam indicator.

RET
Administrator
Guru

richard.e.thomas ret56fe
View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2006, 11:56:45 PM »

I ran an earth wire and tapped it on each bulb to see if it had blown... replaced two. Now they all work when the light switch is pulled. the only other problem is now, when I indicate Left the right bulb lights up and visa versa. I checked the diagram and the light and dark blue wires for each of the indicators are the correct way... thoughts?
Wondering also, whats the red light on the speedo for?

Is it only the dash indicators that are reversed, or are the exterior indicators back to front as well?  If the former, are you sure the wires are the right way around?  To confirm, Dark Blue for left, Light Blue for right.

cheers
RET

NES304
Guru

Yes Dear

nes304
View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2006, 06:45:18 AM »

yeah mate I confirmed they are the right way. When I indicate the front and rear lights are corect too. the red light on the speedo does not turn on/off if the foot switch pressed..

colt
act-club

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2006, 09:39:00 AM »

My guess is you have a dash light in the high beam spot. I bet 1 of your dash lights only comes on when your high beam is pressed. Check the wiring sockets at the base of steering colomn for the blinker switch. You might have the tell tale wires crossed over here.
Colin

colt
NES304
Guru

Yes Dear

nes304
View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2006, 09:33:26 AM »

Colt,
    my high beam is the green wire and is at the top of the speedo. when the switch is pressed, it does not turn off

colt
act-club

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2006, 09:15:08 AM »

Do your headlights turn off high beam? If they do, I would check to see where your tell tale wiring comes from. Have you got a wiring diagram?

colt
NES304
Guru

Yes Dear

nes304
View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2006, 09:51:04 AM »

colt,
     I checked, my head lights do not go on to HIGH beam, maybe its the switch itself?? I have a workshop manual and a wire diagram that I blew up to A3 and it seams the tell tales are correct. I think it need a couple of beers to figure out. as bad as that seams, its normally when I have moments of clarity. God bless Corona

oldgmh

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2006, 12:01:47 PM »

hey nes139,  

what martian said about the earths is true, lack of a really good earth can cause all sort of problems.   Roll Eyes Roll Eyes  double check it. Shocked Cool Cool Huh Huh
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: