FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
September 22, 2024, 05:33:47 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: wiring  (Read 8191 times)
NES304
Guru

Model: FC

Yes Dear

nes304
View Profile
« on: October 31, 2006, 12:57:29 AM »

I'm re installing the original wiring and i'm having trouble locating the reverse lamp switch that has green and orange wires going to and from the switch, trouble is, I don't know what it looks like...Any photos?

ACE
Guru

DOH!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2006, 04:12:27 AM »

Hi Nes,
The reverse lamp switch was a accessory for FE-FC Holdens.
Your car may not have had one fitted Wink
Regards ACE  Cool
RET
Administrator
Guru

Model: FE

richard.e.thomas ret56fe
View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2006, 07:12:35 AM »

There are wires with socket ends concealed in the dash area for fitting this accessory, as well as a socket in the line to the tail-lights (on the RHS) to connect up the globes.

The actual switch (which as ACE mentioned was not standard equipment, but an accessory) was mounted on the steering column in the engine bay, operated by the movement of the gear linkages.  If you have a hunt around in photos of stocky engine bays, I'm sure you'll see one that has this fitted.

cheers
RET

OurCarClub.com.au is a web-based data management application, custom built for car clubs and their volunteer officials. More info...
NES304
Guru

Yes Dear

nes304
View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2006, 09:14:56 PM »

Cheers guys,
               I have a green wire that starts behind the dash at the base of the A pillar in which I asume it runs to the back of the car. The car is originally a Special model, Was this an accessory for specials or did it come as standard only on special models?

RET
Administrator
Guru

Model: FE

richard.e.thomas ret56fe
View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2006, 01:19:25 AM »

It was an accessory for all models, end of story.  Not standard equipment to any FE or FC variant.

The green wire you refer to was part of the loom to support this accessory, should it be purchased.  The clear lens at the base of the tail-light served the same purpose, if you think about it.

cheers
RET

OurCarClub.com.au is a web-based data management application, custom built for car clubs and their volunteer officials. More info...
Jonno

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2006, 11:36:02 AM »

Nes...you can get one here:

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/HOLDEN-FB-FC-FJ-FE-EK-EJ-EH-HR-REVERSE-LIGHT-SWITCH_W0QQitemZ180045398981QQihZ008QQcategoryZ32058QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Jonno

Cottles Bridge, VIC
NES304
Guru

Yes Dear

nes304
View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2006, 11:36:58 AM »

thanks mate.

NES304
Guru

Yes Dear

nes304
View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2006, 11:53:13 AM »

Further to my wiring trouble. I have the rear lights working when brake pedal activated and they work when the headlights are on, but the buggers won't flash when indicating..... Any ideas?

Glenn 'Stinky' Stankevicius
Guru

Model: FE and FC

Willaston, South Australia

Glenn.Stankevicius
View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2006, 10:42:08 PM »

NES, do a search on indicators and bump the day range to 1000 (3 yrs?).
This has been covered many times before for both standard and modified. I remember having a bit of trouble with mine and others have too.
These should get you started -
http://www.fefcholden.org.au/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=howto;action=display;num=1116329774;start=5

http://www.fefcholden.org.au/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=howto;action=display;num=1116329774;start=7

http://www.fefcholden.org.au/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=hotup;action=display;num=1135937072;start=0

mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2006, 07:40:00 AM »

By the way, the reverse light switch shown on ebay is actually FB onwards - it is not the correct one for FE/FC.

Regards  Ken
NES304
Guru

Yes Dear

nes304
View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2006, 10:13:35 AM »

Stinky, read that string you posted and still am trying to figure out whats going on. I know thw yellow from the flasher is to be connected to the steer column but I can't see where? and then the pink and violet wires connect to corresponding wires running to the back of the car.... Any other ideas

Brad

My FC Van in 1986 and I still have It

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2006, 11:17:24 AM »

Hey Ness
           You should look at buying a workshop manual as most of the info you will require will be in it. Wiring diagram etc etc , Get a genuine  GMH manual and you will be amazed at the amount of info inside. They are very informative and virtual indispensable if your doing a car from scratch. I don't think I could have done the resto on my FB as successfully as I did without one, but then I didn't know about this  site with its wealth of info at the time.
Brad.

Id rather have a full bottle in front of me than a full frontal labotomy
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2006, 11:37:01 AM »

Nes, the yellow wire from the flasher can goes to the group of six wires coming out of the steering column (from the indicator switch),  also in this group of six wires are the pink and violet wires which are the left and right rear flasher/brake light wires - these go to the group of wires which come out of the A pillar near the base of the windscreen.
You MUST have a stock FC indicator switch to wire this part of the car or it will not work properly.  If you have an EK or HR column then you have to redo the wiring to suit the column.
Ken
NES304
Guru

Yes Dear

nes304
View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2006, 11:43:07 AM »

cheers brad and ken, Any one have a book for sale?
Ken, I have stock FC column.

NES304
Guru

Yes Dear

nes304
View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2006, 09:19:09 AM »

Ken, I found the yellow wire from the column and I had already connected it. The other night I had a mate come round and after too many beers had a look at the car, started playing with the wires and got it to flash. havent replicated the situation since....
Yellow connected
pink to pink, violet to violet, indicator stalk on colum set to indicate, power to all. Is it still the light switch?  foot brake activates rear light.

NES304
Guru

Yes Dear

nes304
View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2006, 06:40:38 AM »

Found that the battery I am using to do the testing is infact dying. had enough juice to operate the brake lights dimly but not enough to flash. gave it a quick charge and checked the fluid levels in it and tested the indicators and whattya know....

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: