FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
May 23, 2024, 03:47:09 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Rebuild or buy??? HELP  (Read 2186 times)
utey

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« on: September 18, 2006, 04:15:16 AM »

Here's the problem.
I have a grey motor of unknown condition, I think it will require a rebuild, I have been offered a motor that is reputedly "rebuilt" for $700(owner ex mechanic did the work and ran in the car for 6 months then changed to a red, owner now dead)
The person selling the car is an acquaintance of a friend.
I have a good modified head and cam with steel timing gear a rebuilt oil pump and a new water pump.
Should I take a chance on the rebuilt or use that $700 toward rebuilding the motor I have?
Thoughts,ideas,comments,costs.

Nick

If it was easy would it be so much fun!
minifcvan
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2006, 04:30:01 AM »

BUY BUY BUY save yourself the hassle
TAYZ
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2006, 08:12:17 AM »

Ute Man,
                I know where you are coming from.  I had a 50,000- mile genuine mile grey in my FC and it ran like a dream.  But i wanted a hotty, so i got a quote and it was well over $1000- and that wasnht much let me tell you.  Anyhow I took a gamble and bought a hot grey off a forum user for $700-.  It had $500- spent on the head, fully rebuilt bottom end etc etc and I have driven a significant number of miles in it with absolutely no problems and at the best it goes pretty hard for an old grey.  Its up to you but I took the gamble and it payed off ok so I hope that may help a little but mate, cheers

tays
craiga
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2006, 08:46:51 AM »

I paid a couple of grand on eBay for a worked red motor that if I paid for it to be built would have cost over $7K.

I had to pull the motor out of a car but the rest has been plain sailing. Blew the doors off another well worked red powered car this afternoon, sweeeeettttttt :-)

I say buy, but get the seller to pull the sump off and check the bores and piston skirts. You should also pull off one on the main bearing caps to check bearing wear. Also check the ports with a torch and check how carboned up everything is.

Good luck.

Craig.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: