FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
June 29, 2024, 01:53:36 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: FC windscreen chrome strip removal  (Read 2921 times)
curlslinc

Model: FC

View Profile
« on: September 25, 2012, 03:56:30 PM »

Hi all , what else holds in place the chrome strip at bottom of windscreen besides the two screws. I have water leaking into dashboard via one corner where I suspect more sealant needs to be "pushed in " under the good condition rubber seal . any suggestions please ? Curly
freddyc
qld-club

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2012, 04:00:54 PM »

the chrome strip is held in by the rubber. I think (I am not a guru) the strip is like a T peice with the back of the T fitting into a grove in the windscreen rubber. You have to remove windsreen to remove chrome strip. Is the leak coming in over the rubber? if so you can fit the sealant nozzle under the rubber and reseal.
fred

Townsville North Queensland
curlslinc

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2012, 04:46:48 PM »

Thanks for prompt reply, yes it is coming in over the rubber or in between rubber and glass , so was thinking of pushing nozzle in as you suggested.
fcwrangler
nsw-club
Guru

JIM-- Gilead NSW

Jim Tuckwell
View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2012, 05:17:04 PM »

As Fred said , the best way is to fill the gap between the screen and rubber, it is best to seal all the way around. For the best result, cut the nozzle about an inch up from the point on a slight angle then flatten it with pliers tis will make it much easier to pust the nozzle into the rubber, then work your way around the screen making sure you get a excess bead behind the nozzle. Once you have gone right around, clean up the excess with a flat scrapper and then wipe off with a kero or turps rag.I do this for a living and thats the best way to get a good seal.
Regards Jim

on the seventh day: God Made Holden
curlslinc

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2012, 07:44:47 PM »

Jim , thanks a lot for your guidance, will do it as you recommend.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: