FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
September 28, 2024, 12:16:33 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: windlacing  (Read 6707 times)
NO NAME

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« on: June 20, 2009, 08:56:28 AM »

i bought some windlacing a while ago and now i want to fit it as well as a new rooflinning, the stuff i bought is basically material wrapped around foam cord, should i sew in another cord for the retainer strip to hold it, the trimer guy down the road here reckons it staples in but i dont get how you staple it.

Glenn 'Stinky' Stankevicius
Guru

Model: FE and FC

Willaston, South Australia

Glenn.Stankevicius
View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2009, 09:10:14 AM »

The hood liner and windlace are held in by a row of "teeth" on a metal strip, the strip needs to be opened up (not too much, 5-10mm) when removing the hoodliner and the teeth straightened out if needs be, fun, fun, fun Grin.
I have only done one FE/FC hoodliner and it is a lesson in patience  Roll Eyes take it slow when closing up the strip to hold everything in place. A small hammer wrapped in cloth is good for this, also don't try to hammer is completely flat, just enough keep everything secure.
If the metal strip looks a little bowed before you fit everything up, when closing it up don't try to straighten it too much because you'll be chasing it for hours just leave a couple of spots a little less closed.
HTH.

NO NAME

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2009, 09:27:56 AM »

so do i just fit the windlacing in with the flat material hanging of it or do i need to put cord in the flat material to give the retainer something to hold onto, it doesnt look like the retainer strip alone will hold the windlacing in.
 does anyone know what the trimmer guy means by using staples or is that just trade bullsh1t to make you give up and take it to them.

FC427
nsw-club
Guru

Model: FC

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2009, 09:42:37 AM »

On a lot of old wood framed car it was tacked in [ todays replacement is the staple] but this is not the case with FE FC  as stinky said make sure you take the time to straighten the little teeth out and once hoodlining is in ,then work on the windlacing and tap gently to close it up if you flog it' as a lot seem to do it will not hold for long as it distorts all the teeth .........FC427.....

As I lay rubber down the street I pray for traction I can keep, but if I spin and begin to slide please dear god protect my ride
Glenn 'Stinky' Stankevicius
Guru

Willaston, South Australia

Glenn.Stankevicius
View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2009, 10:36:04 AM »

so do i just fit the windlacing in with the flat material hanging of it or do i need to put cord in the flat material to give the retainer something to hold onto, it doesnt look like the retainer strip alone will hold the windlacing in.
 does anyone know what the trimmer guy means by using staples or is that just trade bullsh1t to make you give up and take it to them.
The flat bit of the windlacing and the edges of the hoodliner are held in with the metal strip. No staples are needed, there's nothing to staple to anyway  Huh

mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2009, 01:05:17 PM »

You do need to roll up and glue the small piece at the front where the windlace goes down past the dash to the floor mat. It wont stay in by itself unless it is folded or rolled. I believe that FX FJ headliner is stapled in.

Ken
Spinner
nsw-club

Whitewalls - more than 'just' a way of life.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2009, 07:20:46 PM »

Leon,

I bought some plastic coated clothes line, 2 mm diameter and got soemone in Cabramatta to sew it into the fabric tail.

CraigA did something similar too.

Cheers

(0414) 49-6706.  d5461 on Ebay.
zulu
nsw-club
Guru

Old Boonah Ambo

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2009, 10:49:17 PM »

I've seen a light guage automotive electrical wire stitched in also
NO NAME

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2009, 09:43:49 AM »

I have proper stuff like used in piping on seats but my sewing machine is breaking needles so i need to get it sewn somewere else and the trimmers shop wouldnt becuase they say its not how its done and it should be stapled in.
 do i get the whole length done or do i just get that part on the A pillar done.

FC427
nsw-club
Guru

Model: FC

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2009, 10:05:07 AM »

Leon do the lot it can't hurt it will only help retain it ......There is another trimer behind Top Tyres  give him a go.......FC427.....

As I lay rubber down the street I pray for traction I can keep, but if I spin and begin to slide please dear god protect my ride
NO NAME

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2009, 10:40:33 AM »

Leon do the lot it can't hurt it will only help retain it ......There is another trimer behind Top Tyres  give him a go.......FC427.....
is he open today?

NO NAME

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2009, 12:35:56 PM »

just drove all over the place, all the trimmers are shut, looks like i will have try again next weekend or fix my sewing machine.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: