FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
October 06, 2024, 11:36:19 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you a member of one of the FE-FC Holden Car Clubs of Australia ? If you are, get access to the Club-Member-only area of this discussion board. Send an IM to the board admin, including your real name and club to get access.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Cracked windscreen - how do I stop it....  (Read 4827 times)
Paul In Ireland
Guru

Model: FE and FC

View Profile
« on: January 13, 2009, 12:10:02 PM »

The FE front screen has a crack about 200mm long in the top passenger corner. Can I drill a small hole in front of the edge of the crack and will that stop it? I don't know how long it's there or how fast it is moving but I want to stop it as replacements are a bit hard to come by over here (the French hoard them all  Wink).

Cheers,
Paul
 Cool

The International FE FC Fleet of Ireland
Education is where you read the fine print. Experience is what you get when you don't.
jack_fc

Model: FC

SouthWest Coast, Victoria

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2009, 12:20:58 PM »

Hey Paul; the French are supposedly known for their style and good taste - surely they would only be hoarding the FC windscreens??     Wink Wink Wink

"when I was a young lout, it was all about sex, drugs, rock'n'roll, beer and hot Holdens. Now I'm an old lout, but I've still got the old Holdens and beer..."
mc54

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2009, 12:45:16 PM »

Paul

I would contact an expert, they drill a small hole and fill with a clear resin.
like this place
http://www.autorisk.com/auto/Windshield%20Repair.htm

hope you can find one local.

Mike
jack_fc

SouthWest Coast, Victoria

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2009, 04:37:05 PM »

Hey Paul,
 what Mike says is the best way. A friend of mine is in the windscreen repair business - he recommends as Mike says....    (why is that not surprising???)
However, if this is not a viable option for you, he said you could try drilling the smallest hole possible (make sure it covers the very end of the crack) and fill with araldite or similar...  He stresses that this is the "bush mechanics" way, and COULD (maybe) prevent the crack spreading, BUT could also result in tears and anguish...   your call!

cheers jack

ps   He said filling the hole fully and without contamination or bubbles, and keeping the surrounding area clear of araldite may be a challenge for the amateur repairer. Understandably, he wasn't really forthcoming with more info - maybe others here can give more detailed instructions??

"when I was a young lout, it was all about sex, drugs, rock'n'roll, beer and hot Holdens. Now I'm an old lout, but I've still got the old Holdens and beer..."
mc54

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2009, 04:55:55 AM »

Paul

Just a one more thing. I am assuming that because there is a crack in the windscreen and it has not shattered that it is laminated.
This can be drilled. So can ordinary glass, but not toughened. I believe that toughened glass is heat treated which gives it a hard
coating on the outside which creates pressure, if the glass is drilled, chipped, or cracked past the hardening the pressure is no longer
even and it shatters. Something like that.

Regards

Mike
DN2168
nsw-club

See you on the road Skag!!

dean.nommensen
View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2009, 08:25:42 AM »

Paul,  Find an insurance company that has a free windscren clause, wait a couple of months then let them worry about it  Grin Grin.

Dean.
Paul In Ireland
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2009, 08:29:18 AM »

Already thought of it but I'd say they will baulk if I try it.

We spend a fortune insuring our cars but the bastards will never pay out!

Education is where you read the fine print. Experience is what you get when you don't.
Paul In Ireland
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2009, 01:24:32 PM »

So, nobody seems willing to do this - so I'll attempt it myself.

My only question would be this - do I drill into the end of the crack or just barely past the end and let the crack "find the drill hole"?

Cheers
 Cool

mc54

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2009, 03:37:35 PM »

Paul

Try this link
http://www.car-accessories-magazine.com/windshield-repair-kit.html

It has information on how to do it.

Regards
Mike
crashbox

cruzin in the FC

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2009, 10:48:55 PM »

g'day, Smiley

ok this seems bodgey, but it works!....grab sum heavy duty arledite type glue, gentley scrape chip/crack in screen, use masking tape around area so you dont make a mess, mix glue a throw it in crack... yes it works , my cuz has a chopped ford f250, got a new screen made , yep got a bad stone chip/crack fisrt outing and used this method, windscreen still in truck,crack has not got worse after 7months... and i ACTUALLY  saw it tonite ! Wink

wot have ya got to lose! Grin

mr c

"A GOOD HOLDEN IS A CRUZIN HOLDEN"
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: