FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
June 26, 2024, 12:42:45 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: New Motor rules  (Read 4960 times)
griffo

View Profile
« on: August 23, 2006, 07:06:10 AM »

Hi ,
I,m thinking of putting a new motor in my ol girl,
it currently has a 202 red , but getting a bit tired.
If I decide to put a blue or black motor in what do I have to do regarding rego ?? is it just a notification or do they require a engineers cert. Huh  I live in Vic.

Griffo.
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2006, 09:34:35 AM »

Griffo - depends whether your car already has an engineers cert or not.  If it has a cert, then it is just an engine change form.  Without a cert could be a little more difficult.

Ken
fccool59

rain sucks     http://www.yout ube.com/watch?v =N1Uj

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2006, 09:58:31 AM »

not sure about vic but here in nsw you have to run all the pollution control stuff that came with the block so really you should have the air pump, charcoal canister etc, thats the advantage here of a red block

rain sucks  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1Ujma1lBac    rain sucks     rain sucks
griffo

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2006, 10:25:27 AM »

Thanks for the thoughts Ken - fccool59
The car has been registered for 12 mths , it didnt require a Eng. cert because it had been registered some time ago with the same motor , so thinking about your replies , I might be better off reco -ing the motor thats already in it , that way I dont have to stuff around with Vic roads.
Anybody had similar experiences ?
Griffo.
FB_MAD

I can't think what to write here so this will do.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2006, 11:34:13 AM »

If its been registered for the last 12 months with that 202 Red then most likely its been engineer certified for that modification so you should be able to put another red in providing its engine number is from the same model as the certified engine......for example a HQ 202.
But if you fitted a HZ 202 Red then like fccool59 said you would have to also fit all the smog control bits (at least thats how it is in N.S.W ) according to N.S.W RTA.

Then like you said,it might be less stuffing around if you just reco the existing motor and save the potential  headaches that VicRoads might give you if their rules are similar to N.S.W.

Terry.

Has anybody seen my red pen??
Addo

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2006, 09:10:09 PM »

Have same problem with mine, 202 red on rego papers, no engineer cert available. RTA NSW assures me that if I put ay other motor in the car I will need a Engineers cert. 202 red or not. I'm going to use my block save any hassels.
griffo

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2006, 06:41:38 AM »

After some more info guys,
Are all trimatic autos the same ?  i.e. will a tri auto from a later mod commodore VH, VK etc , fit up to my old 70's red 202 ?

Griffo,
RET
Administrator
Guru

Model: FE

richard.e.thomas ret56fe
View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2006, 06:53:46 AM »

I think there's a difference between Trimatic for 6 and V8, but I don't think it matters whether red/blue/black 6.

cheers
RET

OurCarClub.com.au is a web-based data management application, custom built for car clubs and their volunteer officials. More info...
griffo

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2006, 07:02:11 AM »

Thanks Ret,
Looks like the best thing to do is
Re build existing motor and fit up new auto while I,m at it ! This will keep the Vicroads people happy and save all the stuffing around,

Any advice gladly taken ,,

Cheers Griffo.
Dr_Terry

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2006, 10:31:03 PM »

Hi Guys.

RET said:- "I think there's a difference between Trimatic for 6 and V8, but I don't think it matters whether red/blue/black 6. "

The main difference in Tri-Matics over the years is that most early boxes (up to HZ) are RH shift & all Commodores are LH shift.

To convert a Tri-Matic from V8 to 6 cyl (or 4 to 6 for that matter) configuration you can change the bellhousing & front shaft etc. But to convert a box with its shifter on the LH side to the RH side is a lot more difficult.

Dr Terry.
Rob_FE_56

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2006, 04:10:43 AM »

G'day Griffo, From what I understand of the vic roads rules for an engine swap you must meet the emissions control standards of whichever was manufactured later.
  Eg.1
hz red 202 into fe/fc would require carbon canister an associated rubbish out of hz.
  Eg.2 Big block chev in commodore would require the engine meets the same standards as the car its going into. Very much a "grey area" (pardon pun).
  Most blokes got around this by running straight lpg but an engineer told me the other day that this is currently under review and will most likely be no longer accepted in the very near future.
  Now ICV type cars such as lotus 7 and cobra's will have to run brand spanking new engines that meet current emissions standards ie quad cam ford v8 etc, making the poor old windsor conversion redundant.
  I think your best bet, as you said would be to freshen your existing engine. It will save a heap of rego headaches and you will probably be happier with the end result anyway.
  Rob.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: