FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
June 26, 2024, 04:28:52 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you a member of one of the FE-FC Holden Car Clubs of Australia ? If you are, get access to the Club-Member-only area of this discussion board. Send an IM to the board admin, including your real name and club to get access.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Fuel leaking into boot  (Read 3135 times)
DN2168
nsw-club

Model: FC

See you on the road Skag!!

dean.nommensen
View Profile WWW
« on: July 13, 2012, 09:33:08 AM »

Ever since I bought the car it has had a fuel smell in the cabin after it is filled up. I hadn't been able to track it down until yesterday. Where the sender screws into the tank was a puddle of fuel (I had purposely filled the tank really full). I replaced the sender gasket, but the screws seemed to have washers on them with rubber seals that were all broken & split. I put a dob of silicon on the screws before putting them back in, but it has leaked again over night. Would tread tape on the screws help seal them, or can you still buy the washers? I looked on rares but they didn't list them. Any ideas appreciated.

Dean.
KFH
qld-club

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2012, 10:01:33 AM »

I had a small leak in mine as well.  The cure I used was to cut a new gasket out of gasket paper and give either side of it a coating with a non hardening gasket cement, gave the screw threads a light coating of the same cement and screw it together.  No more problems  in 1300 miles.

Keith

I was born with nothing and still have most of it left
DN2168
nsw-club

dean.nommensen
View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2012, 12:23:02 PM »

Thanks for your reply Keith. Just finished putting it all back together (with a mouth full of unleaded). See how it goes now, if it still leaks I may have to organise another tank.

Dean.
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2012, 04:48:14 PM »

None of the silastics are going to work as the fuel dissolves them. The original washers are lead. Keith's solution seems OK with a hard setting cement. I have screws here with good washers for $10 a set.

Ken
DN2168
nsw-club

dean.nommensen
View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2012, 05:59:43 PM »

Thanks Ken,
I will see how it goes on the weekend & if it still leaks I will get in contact to arrange a set of screws.

Dean.
DN2168
nsw-club

dean.nommensen
View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2012, 05:18:31 PM »

24hrs.....so far, so good Grin
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...