FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
April 28, 2024, 03:03:10 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: engine colour?  (Read 9565 times)
NES304
Guru

Model: FC

Yes Dear

nes304
View Profile
« on: August 15, 2006, 12:47:19 AM »

this is a grey motor that I painted using the GMH colour code from the tech area on this site. Did the paint place get it wrong? The colour looks like a deep old army green rather than a grey. the photo may not show the green to well but let me know if it is right. I'm thinking about either painting a different grey or even a red (to match the insert colour on the body of the car) As i'm not happy with it

RET
Administrator
Guru

Model: FE

richard.e.thomas ret56fe
View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2006, 06:13:26 AM »

Grey motor grey does have a definite greenishness to it.  I wouldn't have called it khaki, but it's certainly not a shade of grey you could produce by mixing only black and white, put it that way.

Your photo doesn't jump out at me and scream "I'm a grey motor painted a weird colour!"

cheers
RET

OurCarClub.com.au is a web-based data management application, custom built for car clubs and their volunteer officials. More info...
NES304
Guru

Yes Dear

nes304
View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2006, 06:19:14 AM »

no it doesn't scream, but does it say original....

cer444

138 "Big Block" Grey

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2006, 06:39:32 AM »

When I got my paint for my grey (PPG 2 pak) I questioned the colour, but as I have found out thats the colour they are painted originally
Addo

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2006, 08:43:08 AM »

When I was a young bloke we used to put illegal red motors in the old girls and paint them original "grey" it didn't look much like your picture at all. (I did a lot of reds painted grey) If you did it with a 2 pac PPG colour you could have anything! The gloss finish would be way of original and PPG sucks. I've been in the panel industry for 26 years and own my own panelshop and I am not impressed with them at all. I could write a book on stories with a bad ending concerning them.
By the way the first copper that saw one of our reds painted grey said "thats a red motor painted grey!" and defected us on the spot.
fccool59

rain sucks     http://www.yout ube.com/watch?v =N1Uj

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2006, 09:30:41 AM »

must have been a while ago.
Last time I was asked to pop the hood after a burnout the cop said " gee, it still has the old red motor"
dont know what he will say next time becuase I now painted my red motor grey.
I wouldnt worry about changing the colour now, when I painted mine I mixed black and white to a simular shade but was tempted to get some green tinter and my motor is a supercharged red.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2006, 09:34:22 AM by fccool59 » Logged

rain sucks  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1Ujma1lBac    rain sucks     rain sucks
NES304
Guru

Yes Dear

nes304
View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2006, 09:58:47 AM »

I used enamel as when the motor heats up it'll kinda bake on. The worry I have with painting my motor the same as my insert colour is that its Red (wifes idea) I like the idea too but don't want it to look like a 186 when I have it registered (and have to explain it) or have people with think i'm trying to make it look like a red. the interior is red / white so i guess it'd be a good theme to go with as the engine bay is white. wanted a kind of an original look though.
I have another grey motor here with barely any paint on it and what I can see doesn't look to have a green tinge to it. may be thats what 50 years of wear does.

Rod

I love YaBB 1 Gold!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2006, 10:05:16 AM »

I have painted a few greys and only finished one last week myself. I used a mix made up approx 10-15 years ago (suprisingly in very good nick) with the following details: DULUX 393-10367. Came out the gun a treat and its the best finish I have done. Great shine coverage etc. Not bad for a ammo.

Anyway the color I have achieved is exactly the same as yours for what I can see. Interesting to note however was when I was rubbing back the side cover in preparation I was suprised to see the old color to be very much on the green / blue side than grey. However the motor was a replacement motor so I don't know if there were slight differences.

Hope thats of help.

Rod
Addo

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2006, 10:17:02 AM »

must have been a while ago.

1982 if my memory serves me right.  Wink
finlay

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2006, 07:56:50 PM »

Nes don't do it if you are going original just don't do it I have grown up with old Holdens  and can pull em apart with my eyes closed ,the grey is the right color .Forget the wife she wont be looking in the engine bay while sucking on a cold one  ya mates will !!!! Huh Huh Huh

Elvis lives
NES304
Guru

Yes Dear

nes304
View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2006, 11:57:11 PM »

cheers fin.
While I was rubbing it back it seemed blacker rather than green and as stated the other motor I have has a similar blackish colour. Its something I never noticed at motor shows but i'll be looking closer now

Brad

My FC Van in 1986 and I still have It

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2006, 08:43:39 AM »

Hey Ness
here's a pic of the engine from my FB Shocked Shocked Shocked

Not much green and it was colour matched from some original paint by a professional painter friend of mine .
You will notice that the engine bay is not (Black)but a very dark grey ,you can see it clearly on the drivers side and although the other side looks black I can assure you they are both the same colour , matched from original paint under a wiring harness clip , thanks to my mate again.The breather cap on the top of the rocker cover is black.
I may still have some of this paint under my house and if the paint's ok I could ask my mate to do a colour match or get some code numbers, not PPG as he works for Harts  Grin
If you are interested in getting the right colour grey give me a PM and I will see what I can do.
                Brad.

Id rather have a full bottle in front of me than a full frontal labotomy
Addo

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2006, 06:10:39 AM »

Whew at last! a grey motor that actually looks like I remember them. Thank you!
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2006, 07:03:23 AM »

From my experience there are (at least) 2 different colours that grey motors were painted in.  One is a darker grey with green in it as you have pictured and the other is a much lighter grey colour similar to what Brad has shown.  I suspect that they may differ between 133 and 138 models but not 100 percent sure as I have not researched it much.  Very hard to tell as VERY FEW cars have the original engine in them that is untouched.
Ken
Addo

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2006, 07:54:06 AM »

My first car was an EJ (sorry guys) and I bought a 132.5 from a guy up at Medlow Bath in the Blue Mtns I think this thing was original and unmessed. He was using it on a saw bench to cut wood. (of course!) It was snowing the day my Dad and I went to look at it. This was back in1977 It was the lighter colour.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2006, 08:00:54 AM by Addo » Logged
NES304
Guru

Yes Dear

nes304
View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2006, 10:31:42 AM »

well i'm keen to get down the shop now and get another colour called "the grey that I choose". It will only have black and white in it. The misses wants me to paint it red to match the body insert colour but I think FINLAY is against it.
He sounds like my father in law...

Fast_Eddie

Body by Holden. Soul by Fast Eddie.

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2006, 10:54:45 AM »

Another grey/green motor. Matched well with an original low mileage car I used to have

Addo

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2006, 07:54:25 AM »

Interesting, but I came to the opinion a long..... time ago that they SHOULD ALL HAVE RED MOTORS IN THEM at very least. Wink Sorry to all you grey sticklers. Roll Eyes
HARKO
« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2006, 08:23:28 AM »

Here here ,even if its a red painted grey .
Although I do love the sound of a lumpy grey I also love traveling interstete over and over again Smiley.
NES304
Guru

Yes Dear

nes304
View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2006, 07:25:14 AM »

I picked another colour and if I didn't hate bloody polls so much i'd do one to see response but i'm sick of every news bulletin current affairs shows and realty crap series ramming them down our throats.
but this is the colour I picked. I feel I should have gone darker but the paint shop bloke reckons it'll darken when it dries and more so after heat gets into it. looks bland at the moment but when all gear is bolted back on it should break up the colour better

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: