FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
May 02, 2024, 08:34:05 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you a member of one of the FE-FC Holden Car Clubs of Australia ? If you are, get access to the Club-Member-only area of this discussion board. Send an IM to the board admin, including your real name and club to get access.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: (Project) Cool Dad's Car  (Read 16461 times)
HARKO
« on: August 17, 2002, 02:58:24 PM »

As a plan to work toward's I've come up with a photoshop image with custom paint and a few small touches which is acheivable .

A less than $1000 starting point included lot's of spares and lots of hard work already performed (bonus) Every thing bar the body was already stripped to bear metal etched and hi-filled ,Engine wasnt running but after a couple of hours and a few parts pinched from the glory box she purr's like a kitten.
The under carraige has been resprayed and rebushed etc etc Which is ironic because I wont be needing the driveline or the re-gasketted engine ,,interior is in about 80% shape and the over all package only missing a few odds and end's so far.
The whole plan behind the car is to drive something old and reliable so a V6 Calais (rear ended) was sourced quite a while ago now for the use of its driveline ,Harness ,Seat belts , And anything else useable.

,The wagon - well good thing's come to those who work for them so we'll see how long it take's.

some of the panels which were supposedly taken back to bare metal (in mint condition) etched and hi-filled were in fact sprayed over 43 year old paint which had already been resprayed in its lifetime a total of three times which was very nice of the guy to lie through his teeth for a sale ,Any person who does this should bow their head in shame - Honesty is always the best policy.
(Update)- At this stage I have revealed all of the uglies under the paint by stripping it back to metal ,Then etch priming ,Also I have welded up the T handle in the tailgate and placed the solenoid from the VN boot into it.
Next on the agenda will be replacing both sills ,both front floor pans  ,and some small repairs such as rust hole on the right of the tailgate base.

« Last Edit: December 27, 2002, 11:30:49 AM by HARKO » Logged
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2002, 11:31:45 AM »

Harko, what colour is the paint on the wagon ?
Is it the original paint as I don't really recall seeing that pale blue colour before on an FC

Ken
HARKO
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2002, 05:57:00 AM »

Hey Ken
The colour on it is actualy a mint green and white Taubmans that was brushed on over 2 tone blue which was applied over the original colour -Its a full Poo Machine ,Corsair Tan & beige ,I was speaking to craiga at the AHD & he was quite impressed with that but no matter how hard I try I just cant like it .
Ed
Guru

Model: FE

Ed74mnd
View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2002, 08:33:51 PM »

Hey Harko,

I havent noticed all the pics of the shell before with no paint.. Your project seems to progresss at a phenomenal rate!

How do u do everything so quick  Huh

I guess it probably helps having your project at your own home  :-/

Cheers
Ed

Smiley

in the shed
gree

chopped greens

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2002, 04:49:03 AM »

hey harko,

wouldn't like a job replacing my sills while you are at it would you? i'll pay bottom dollar. looks like you know what you are doing with the bodywork.

like the photoshop version - love the whitewalls. should be more of 'em around. make sure you go for at least 14" wheels though, so they tuck up under the guards !  Wink

shave those door handles! and if you do a good job of those i'll let you do mine too! i'm sure you wouldn't mind  Grin

if you still want to look at that trim i have got, i can just drop it at chucks place at some stage and you can see it whenever you go there next (since timing is a problem)...

simon
normd

6 in a row , the way to "GO"

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2002, 11:25:10 AM »

Hey Harko,
          Even though the car wasn't what you were told it was , you have done a "tremendous" job  , mate.
    A real credit to you.   Would love to see it when you finish.

Tip for buyers
    When ever I've bought a second-hand car , I always take a small "magnet" with me , "It Dont stick to BOG".

Tip for sellers
   What goes around , comes around..........

Norm d

I Love My "FC" 192 . Old but still a "Rev Head"

R.I.P. Norm - A Great Mate to Everyone on the Forum.
brads59

OLD OLDENS=STYLE

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2002, 11:03:14 PM »

Hi Norm,
             The magnet test probably worked years ago mate,but nowadays theres a thing called metal mend.
Basically bog that the magnet sticks to.
CHEERS BRAD.....

1959 Black Std sedan
normd

6 in a row , the way to "GO"

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2002, 12:03:52 PM »

Hi Brad
        Thanks mate , I'll remember that ,  last few cars I've bought I knew the history of. Been a while since I've bought one "out of the paper.

Cheers   mate
    Norm d

I Love My "FC" 192 . Old but still a "Rev Head"

R.I.P. Norm - A Great Mate to Everyone on the Forum.
HARKO
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2002, 12:43:18 PM »

Hey Norm that's one of the old man's trick's of the trade.
At all times he has on his keyring a tape measure,a swiss army knife with a range of tools in it ,a small fridge magnet with just enough strength to not stick to bog and a small torch.
When I get to stop and have a beer with him Im always giving him a little stick about how weighed down he is on his left leg (he's left handed so everything goes in his left pocket)
But in saying that Mann its saved us all countless times in the past even if he does end up a little shorter on his left side.
Gree that would be great mate but even better if you can be there too
I will be at the November club meet if you will be there but otherwise no rush.
and last of all the work progress isnt that fast, Photo's lie ,I have only tied the doors on to save space in the garage and for inspiration but my moral is to spend at least 20 minutes on the car per day even if its just looking at it ,It keeps me progressing.

more pics soon .
HARKO
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2002, 02:44:35 PM »

OK Its about time I banged on a few update shots.
I had a glitch in the system here because that wagon has now become a sedan (Cool Dads Car)?

I snagged an FC off a friend of a friend and after a deal that included my EK Lounge  we both walked away smiling
So heres the renewed plan of achievement

This is the lounge now in a much more effective environment at Ziebart car and window tinting Wgong
« Last Edit: December 27, 2002, 12:25:05 PM by HARKO » Logged
gree

chopped greens

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2002, 04:53:56 PM »

think i'd be smiling too!

looks to be in great condition......

cut it CUT IT CUT IIIIIIITTT!!!!  Grin

simon
Ed
Guru

Ed74mnd
View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2002, 10:13:36 PM »

Hey Harko.. no more wagon   Sad  but nice sedan!

Hi Simon,

I like your photoshopped FC, looks very cool indeed.

I know a bloke who does good louvres  Wink

I will be posting pics of updates early New Year.

Cheers

Ed

in the shed
customFC
Guru

Model: FC

Ask me about microwaving cats for fun or profit.

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2002, 12:40:37 PM »

Hey Harko.
Well, it looks like one clean car your ol' man has scored. Looks like a lot less work for you in that project.
Regards
Alex

HARKO
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2002, 01:43:08 PM »

Alex the Ol Man will score nothing ,Hes always after metal curves and shapes preferably of this era to use in Rods but I havent decided to wreck the wagon just yet.
Although there may be a For Sale sign pinned on it next year.
cut it CUT IT CUT IIIIIIITTT!!!!   You know I sit back and all I see is where I can improve on the car (Hmmm could cut the bulk out of the rear of the roof to streamline it a bit more)  (Could enlarge the front wheel arches a little to get the proportions in sinc)
I will be enlarging the tunnel where the diff could hit cause I know I want it lower than
(Ah something realy realy low).
Yes Here we go again ,Its still registered for the next six months and has been 70% outfitted with a V6 ,Some rewiring has been completed and the panels are straight with most of the chrome in good nick
In the photo it was at the local auctions as a 1965 model FC - so rare these ones -.
Should save me a hell of a lot of time so I can hook back into the Ute and get it out of the weather.
Ed This one will cop a few hundred holes in the bonnet (Spare bonnet )
HARKO
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2002, 01:05:02 PM »

Just a quick update ,the ID Tag confirms its an Indian Ivory single tone car sporting Riff Red an Black trim .
The back seat is leather if anyone offers a decent dollar its thiers.
Also the Ute and FC wagon today were trailered up to a farm for safe keeping to save on room and keep the neighbours smiling.(4 Cars out front is too much)
HARKO
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2003, 11:41:55 AM »

Couple of pics to let you know how things are travelling

Ive been cutting out bodgie repairs and rusted repairs and sections to replace in a much more proffesional manner.
HARKO
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2003, 11:49:10 AM »

I was a bit sceptical about the ripples in the bodywork but there was a hell of a lot more than expected.
About 20% of the floor will remain ,I have to watch body twist at the moment (not shown) as the floor almost isnt there at all from the base of the pillars
HARKO
« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2003, 11:54:52 AM »

Sorry about the poor quality of photo's
Shot of the rear shows underside  in bare metal
brads59

OLD OLDENS=STYLE

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2003, 09:19:47 AM »

Sheesh Harko,
                      I thought i had my work cut out for me.
Good on you for not scrappin it.Anythings fixable right? Grin.Ill have to put up some progress shots of FranCine very soon. CHEERS....BRAD

1959 Black Std sedan
Ed
Guru

Ed74mnd
View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2003, 11:04:37 PM »

Hey Harko,

Im having trouble deciphering that 2nd shot .

Is that the.... car standing on its side viewing the underside.. inner sill with outer sill removed? and B p[illar support remaining?

If so.. or what ever part of the car that is.. man.. that looks like serious cancer!!

was the wagon in worse shape than this?

I'm glad this part is all finished for me, although as luck would have it while recently inspecting the "new underbody 2K gloss black finish over stone guard" finish, I found a couple of holes which I had cut out and forgotten to weld up!)

Are there really "rust free" FE/FC's out there??  

Cheers

Ed

in the shed
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: