FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
April 25, 2024, 01:01:33 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you a member of one of the FE-FC Holden Car Clubs of Australia ? If you are, get access to the Club-Member-only area of this discussion board. Send an IM to the board admin, including your real name and club to get access.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Racing FCs?  (Read 1894 times)
frank
wa-club

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« on: July 15, 2006, 11:47:00 AM »

Spoke to a mechanic today (a guy who loves all things ol' Holden) that there were a small number of FCs made for the track and amongst other things, had mods such as thicker sills and a torque strap attached to the gearbox ... factory or dealer fitted I know not.  First time I've heard this ... can anyone shed any light on this?
RET
Administrator
Guru

Model: FE

richard.e.thomas ret56fe
View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2006, 12:16:42 PM »

First time for me too, Frank.  Doesn't seem all that likely, but then again, I've always wondered whether the Canadian Hell Drivers' vehicles could really have been bog-standard and survived the thrashing they got.

You would think that any strengthening that proved itself would have found its way onto FBs and EKs, since they share the same floor and subframe.

Straps on race motors are nothing new - in fact we were talking about this at the NSW Club meeting the other night, not so much ones fitted for torque correction but from engine to firewall to limit forward movement of the motor under braking.  This came up in the context of a club-member whose fairly fine-tolerance red motor with grey radiator combination suffered a fan through the radiator whilst some doofus mechanic was performing a brake test...

No charge for that pink slip, sir, sorry about the radiator...

cheers
RET

OurCarClub.com.au is a web-based data management application, custom built for car clubs and their volunteer officials. More info...
normd

6 in a row , the way to "GO"

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2006, 04:49:54 PM »

Hey Ret
 Yep , the two previous owners of my car had a small chain from the g/box-bellhousing bolt to the body with a "turnbuckle" in the middle to hold the motor back under braking . I never replaced it & think it was just luck I never gave the radiator "a trim" , because there's not much gap in there , less than 3/4" I reckon.

Norm   Smiley
« Last Edit: July 15, 2006, 05:17:09 PM by normd » Logged

I Love My "FC" 192 . Old but still a "Rev Head"

R.I.P. Norm - A Great Mate to Everyone on the Forum.
customFC
nsw-club
Guru

Model: FC

Ask me about microwaving cats for fun or profit.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2006, 10:39:25 AM »

Here's some info on this subject that was sent to me by a buddy. It's from a 1967 Custom Rodder article about fitting a 179 + box into an early Holden.

Regards
Alex

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: