FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
April 28, 2024, 03:51:40 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: 202 4 186  (Read 9546 times)
michaels57

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« on: July 30, 2002, 05:09:09 AM »

I was wondering if it is possible to change over a 202 if the car already has a 186 without getting a engineers cert. If the car has already had one for the 186. Also i was told that if the car has been registered in the past with the modified motor ie, a 186 then u don't need to get another engineers cert. is that true and how do i find out the registration history of the car?

REGARDS
Michael
Cool Cool Cool
brads59

OLD OLDENS=STYLE

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2002, 05:37:39 AM »

Michael,i dont think it matters cause they are both red motors.Dont quote me on this though,but it may also depend on what state your in.I'm in SA,but we get away with murder almost.Hope this helps.  Cheers Brad...

1959 Black Std sedan
gree

chopped greens

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2002, 06:31:35 AM »

in nsw it's a different story.

you are allowed to upgrade engineswithout an engineer's certificate, but not more than a certain percentage increase in capacity. it is a pretty meagre increase too, cause the 202 from a 186 is outside the limits.

my fc used to have a 186 before its 202 transplant, and it had to get re-engineered (a 3/4 chassis and fuel injection system was put in at the same time though).

if you are in nsw, you can go to the rta website and look at the code for light vehicle modifications. this has the exact percentage info.

http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/
« Last Edit: July 31, 2002, 06:34:09 AM by gree » Logged

simon
michaels57

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2002, 08:21:07 AM »

does anyone know the website for vicroads Huh Huh

thanx
Michael
Cool Cool Cool
normd

6 in a row , the way to "GO"

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2002, 09:52:40 AM »

Michael
         Would it be easier just to bore out the 186 to 192, put in a warm cam . In the racing scene , we found a 192 is much more reliable ,pull heaps of revs and has heaps of HP.   202's had a habit of "going BANG" My 192 was putting out 245 HP when last dyno'd (but it has triples and 40/80 cam, red-lined at 8500 rpm).
       As for the legal side of it , it's a 186 (hehehe).
   Norm

I Love My "FC" 192 . Old but still a "Rev Head"

R.I.P. Norm - A Great Mate to Everyone on the Forum.
FCwagon
vic-club

Model: FC

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2002, 08:30:13 PM »

Michael
In Vic you're allowed a 10% power increase before engineers certs are needed. so the 202 would be ok. Unless you're going to tow stuff a stock 186 is a better motor to have though and not as thirsty.
Cheer,
Leigh

Red & white is alright
RET
Administrator
Guru

Model: FE

richard.e.thomas ret56fe
View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2002, 12:03:53 AM »

I'd have to agree with Leigh - there's no benefit in going to a 202 over a 186 unless the 186 you have is completely cactus and the 202 is a bolt in and drive away proposition.

And VicRoads is http://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/.  That took less than a minute to find  Roll Eyes

OurCarClub.com.au is a web-based data management application, custom built for car clubs and their volunteer officials. More info...
michaels57

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2002, 07:19:56 AM »

Thanx for the help fella's i was just curios as for the 192 option i might consider something like that once the car is on the road.
Thankyou for the website RET (i didn't type in .vic when i tried to find it) im sorry for taking your one minute Cry if it bothers you so much to answer a simple question however, then i will search else where Wink

REGARDS
Michael
Cool Cool Cool
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2002, 09:23:19 AM »

Michael,  I would suggest that you consider carefully your resonses in future.   Really, asking for vic roads web address on a chat line is fairly lazy.
Richard found the address for you and yet you still abuse him.   I suggest that unless you improve your attitude that you should in fact take your own suggestion and search for your answers elsewhere.

Richard puts a lot of work into moderating this site and doesn't need to be abused for the effort

Ken
Michael Eather
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2002, 07:57:07 AM »

I do appreciate the time and effort RET must spend on this site. I do apologise for my remarks however i feel it is unreasonable to answer what i believed to be a reasonable in such a hostile manner.

REGARDS
Michael
Cool Cool Cool
RET
Administrator
Guru

Model: FE

richard.e.thomas ret56fe
View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2002, 12:57:04 AM »

I wasn't going to respond to this, but I'm irritated now.  Geez Michael, if you think that was hostile you really need to get out more.  Trust me, if I was going to treat you with hostility you would know about it.

Your backhanded apologies are not required.  After all, this is not the first time you've asked for someone on this site to give you the URL of a website that's not really that hard to find.  Given that this is not 'live' chat or ICQ, you can expect to wait a couple of hours or a day for someone to get back to you.  Surely in that time you could try a little harder to find it yourself, like looking at some rego papers, or the yellow pages, or trying a couple of search engines.  That is the only reason I gently dinged you.  (Well, I thought it was pretty gentle, anyway.  If I had said "find it yourself, you lazy ..." then that would be different.)

Remember that it's easy to develop a reputation in this sort of on-line community.  Do you think yours is improved by abusing people who help you?  I reckon that asking those sorts of questions here makes you look either:
 a) lazy, or
 b) completely helpless, or
 c) completely clueless

As a general rule, it's a good idea to re-read whatever one has written and consider whether the effect it will have will be positive or negative on one's reputation before one hits the Post button.  And I appreciate that I'm breaking my own rule of "Never Post When Angry" :-/

OurCarClub.com.au is a web-based data management application, custom built for car clubs and their volunteer officials. More info...
FEHOLDEN

like all good things...it will happen eventually.

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2002, 05:09:15 AM »

correct me if i am wrong but isnt michael the bozo who tried to flog the hq parts on this site? and didnt we have some trouble with his attitude then?

if this is the case then why are we still bothering with him? a fair go is a fair go and i feel that maybe if my recollections are correct [i could have gone back to check myself but i had an attack of the micheal57's] then perhaps michael has had his but of course i feel it is not my place to call for any disciplinary action as i have too much respect for ret and his position as moderator.

in finishing my diatribe i would just like to say that i am not so much angry as basically in agreement with ken and a small breach of your own rules ret is in this case i feel justified.

keep up the good work.

denis

ps: i think the 186 is a better motor.
craiga
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2002, 09:13:35 AM »

Hey Michaels57,

I think its great that you are working on your ute and use the chat site to get the assistance of others. However I agree with the RET and FEHolden when they indicate you would be better off taking your attitude elsewhere. Ever heard of a Skoda? I hear their club has a great chatsite

Cheers,

Craig.
FEHOLDEN

like all good things...it will happen eventually.

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2002, 12:47:06 AM »

gidday craig

well said but i thought that maybe the morris minor 1000
or the austin a40 club might be more in his league.

denis
air-chief

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2002, 12:58:03 PM »

G'day Michael

How did you go with your choice of motor?
You wrote in your first post about already having an engineers cert for the 186, ring the engineer who wrote out the report and have a chat with him. You'll find that he'll be more than happy to help with your questions and should be able to answer all of them.

Regards a-c.

Michaels_57
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2002, 04:45:41 AM »

Thanks for asking Airchief Wink

Ah i don't have the engineers cert. that's why i was wondering how i could find out how i could find out if one existed or the car has been registered with the 186 in the past. Thus my question of vicroads.

REGARDS
MICHAEL
 Cool Cool Cool
air-chief

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2002, 08:46:25 AM »

Hey Michael

An easy way to check if the car was rego'd with the 186 is to find an old rego label to the car. It should have a copy of the engine number on it. If it matches your engine then yes it was rego'd with the 186.

If you can't find one check with vic-roads. Give them a call, I don't have the number but if you ring 12456 they can connect you to them directly.

Let me know how you go!

Regards a-c
Michaels_57
« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2002, 05:01:34 AM »

Smiley Smiley
Thanks for that AC ill give it a shot

REGARDS
Michael
Cool Cool Cool
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...