FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
April 29, 2024, 01:55:57 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you a member of one of the FE-FC Holden Car Clubs of Australia ? If you are, get access to the Club-Member-only area of this discussion board. Send an IM to the board admin, including your real name and club to get access.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Ej Tongue on Hr Crossmember  (Read 6608 times)
michaels57

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« on: July 25, 2002, 08:17:17 AM »

Hey guys,

I was speaking to ken yesterday and he said that when the hr front end was installed on my ute they guy who did it didn't change the tongue that joins up to the crossmember with one that came off and eh or ek. What i was wondering was is an ej one exactly the same or is it different.

REGARDS
Michael
Ed
Guru

Model: FE

Ed74mnd
View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2002, 09:21:36 PM »

Michael,
you could look at an EJ  and compare the outrigger to an EH and see if its the same.

I'd imagine the EJ would be the same as an EH, but stand corrected since i havent seen an EJ.

I put an HR front (from an EK) into an EH, which would also suit an FE or FC.

Ed

in the shed
EJ_Dave

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2002, 09:32:41 PM »

Yep,

EJ and EH crossmembers (including 'tongue') are almost identical. The difference is the egine mounts for grey vs red motors.

David
michaels57

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2002, 06:44:44 AM »

Great fellas,
Ill pick up the ej tongue that has been offered to me. I wanted to know because i have to actually take it off my mate's car so i didn't won't to go to all that trouble for nothig if you know what i mean.

REGARDS
Michael
Cool Cool Cool
Ed
Guru

Ed74mnd
View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2002, 08:40:00 PM »

Michael,
you didn't mention if the EJ outrigger is on an original EJ x-member or on an HR x-member in an EJ?

from memory an original EH outrigger looked different to the outrigger on an HR x-member suitable for EH...

hmmm sorry for the confusion... does anybody else know? (help!???)
you may want to check out the tech section closely as well..

in the shed
EJ_Dave

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2002, 09:52:17 PM »

I haven't done it myself but from what I've heard and read from a number of sources, to make an HR crossmember fit an EJ/EH you need to cut off the original HR tongue (outrigger) and weld on the EJ/EH one. Therefore whether its off the original crossmember or an EJ one on an HR crossmember it should be the same.

David
RET
Administrator
Guru

richard.e.thomas ret56fe
View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2002, 03:48:31 AM »

Ken has clearly described the components and process here:  http://www.fefcholden.org.au/techinfo/tech002.html
To quote from the article:
3. Adapting the HR crossmember.

At this stage either a changeover crossmember must be procured from any of the various retailers, or a competent welder may prepare his own.

First the outrigger must be carefully removed and replaced with one suitable for the FE/FC. An EJ/EH outrigger has been found to be ideally suited for this application. The outrigger must be securely attached to the crossmember.

cheers
RET

OurCarClub.com.au is a web-based data management application, custom built for car clubs and their volunteer officials. More info...
michaels57

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2002, 07:02:41 AM »

Thanks for the advice,
Now im left wondering how is the best way to remove the tongue and how do i get it back on. Huh Huh Huh

Thanks Again
Michael
Cool Cool Cool
Michael

I love YaBB 1 Gold!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2002, 08:10:24 AM »

Hi Michael
I ground the rivets off with the angle grinder punched them out. Then with a 1/2 inch drill ,drill the 3spot welds
out I did the same with the eh crossmember then had it welded to hr crossmember but don't forget the fc sway bar will need to be changed also ek fits perfectly or get a new one made  hope that helps  Michael
michaels57

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2002, 05:01:30 AM »

Thanks for that Michael,
Its an fe sway bar does that matter or do i still have to change it to an EJ.

REGARDS
Michael
: Cool Cool Cool
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2002, 11:08:07 AM »

Michael is precisely right - FB/EK sway bar, not FE, not FC, not EJ, not EH, not HD & not HR.

Ken
michaels57

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2002, 08:01:40 AM »

Thanks for that clarification ken i will now endeavour to find  the right sway bar you don't know where i could get one locally do u?

REGARDS
Michael
Cool Cool Cool
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2002, 09:44:19 AM »

At the next meeting - you could ask Tony,  he is in the FB/EK car club and would probably know all the contacts

Ken
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: