FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
June 08, 2024, 12:28:00 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Acid bath???  (Read 2150 times)
Chisel

Flame Trees

View Profile
« on: April 01, 2006, 01:33:24 AM »

G'day members...  Today will go down in history. Today is the day I officially start on the restoration of my FC ute which has been back on my farm since 1987. Now that I'm older and wiser I thought that it was time to get the poor old thing back on the road for it's 50th birthday. (Must be a mid-life crisis!!)  Grin It was last registered by it's previous owner in 1983. (photos to come soon).
I have decided to start from the rear end basically due to the fact that I don't know if I want to stick with original grey motor or convert to HR/red motor front. I guess time will tell.
I was just wondering what (if any) is the best acid to use to bath parts in? the spare wheel door is in good condition however has rust in between the two layers and I want to clean it out prior to painting. Any ideas?
Thanks and I look forward to seeing some of you when I attend our first meeting.
Greg... aka Chisel
PS... May god give me strength...... and beer!!!
spanner

Model: FE

Mackay QLD

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2006, 08:25:08 AM »

To get rid of rust you use a mixture of 10 precent hydrochloric acid and water and add about half a cup of sugar per litre of solution. You can increase the percentage of acid but then you have to keep an eye on the items in case the acid starts to etch into them. The sugar I'm told, acts as a buffer for the acid and helps prevent etching of the steel.
Cheers Graham
Glenn 'Stinky' Stankevicius
Guru

Model: FE and FC

Willaston, South Australia

Glenn.Stankevicius
View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2006, 10:44:05 AM »

There are alkaline stripping places around, we have one here in Adelaide called Minus Paint - http://www.minuspaint.com.au

Might be worth a hunt in the Yellow Pages for one locally.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: