FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
April 29, 2024, 10:40:38 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you a member of one of the FE-FC Holden Car Clubs of Australia ? If you are, get access to the Club-Member-only area of this discussion board. Send an IM to the board admin, including your real name and club to get access.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: internal door cards wanted.  (Read 2170 times)
oldgmh

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« on: March 21, 2006, 05:35:42 PM »

Wanted.  

Internal door card/trims for a sedan.  Any colour.  

thanks.   Grin Grin
RET
Administrator
Guru

Model: FE

richard.e.thomas ret56fe
View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2006, 06:54:29 AM »

You can buy the door-cards new.  I know this only because I'm currently getting my door-trim vinyl refitted to new backings.  I don't know where they come from, but your trimmer would know where to start asking I would think.

Hope that helps.

RET

OurCarClub.com.au is a web-based data management application, custom built for car clubs and their volunteer officials. More info...
Glenn 'Stinky' Stankevicius
Guru

Model: FE and FC

Willaston, South Australia

Glenn.Stankevicius
View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2006, 11:10:00 AM »

At TAFE we are making door cards out of 3mm MDF, the ones I make at home and the ones from the trimmers are made from Masonite which I think is a bit thicker at around 5mm.
The next set of FE/FC ones I make will be the 3mm MDF as I have run into trouble with the stainless fitting properly and getting the window winders and door handles on.
If you are half handy with a jigsaw, give it a go yourself and save a few bucks. Even if you have to buy a $20 jigsaw from Bunnings you should be able to do a set for less than $40. Spade bits are handy for all the holes too.

blacky

Model: other Holden

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2006, 10:37:14 PM »

I am in the process of making a new set for my car , the trimmer supplied the masonite - it is 2.5 mm thick . Apparently you can only get the 2.5 mm stuff at trimming supplies stores - I tried to get it from a local building supplies wholesaler and it wasnt available.
The trimmer told me that 2.5mm is the right stuff to use for early Holdens because it is the only stuff that the stainless will fit properly - he also said not to use mdf because if it gets wet , it is buggered. Sad

I spent most of my money on beer , fast cars and women - the rest I just wasted.
Glenn 'Stinky' Stankevicius
Guru

Willaston, South Australia

Glenn.Stankevicius
View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2006, 11:23:42 PM »

Masonite and MDF are quite brittle too, so be careful when fitting either. To get around the top stainless not fitting the thicker masonite I bevel the top edge of the boards with a sander.
Bitumen Board is what was used originally, but I don't think it is available anymore.
Interestingly, at TAFE the door trims we made were from older (30's and 40's) cars and their design had their entire back covered with vinyl, purely for weather protection. A modern alternative and good insurance would be to seal the back of the trim with paint/sealer or varnish.

zulu
nsw-club
Guru

Old Boonah Ambo

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2006, 02:18:47 AM »

I used Luan Ply for my door cards, available from timber yards or larger hardware.
It is a thin ply sheet, it has good weaher resistance, I painted mine with marine varnish both sides before re-assembly.
Good luck with yours.
Gary  
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: