FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
June 08, 2024, 07:31:02 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Any one got a free rubber kit  (Read 8569 times)
NES304
Guru

Model: FC

Yes Dear

nes304
View Profile
« on: March 18, 2006, 04:14:20 AM »

Any one have a free rubber kit to give away?

SRVLIVES

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2006, 05:02:10 AM »

Yeah sure... I got given two the other day..... 3 sets of NOS scratch plates too!  Roll Eyes Tongue

RET
Administrator
Guru

Model: FE

richard.e.thomas ret56fe
View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2006, 05:08:15 AM »

I remember seeing on one of those snippet after-the-weather-report news items that there was some pizza joint (in Brisvegas, too) that was giving a box of condoms away with any home-delivery.  Even on the triple-garlic, pepperoni and onion special...

Seems a bit off-topic though.  Unless...?

No, surely you couldn't be seriously thinking that anyone would have $1200 worth of rubber seals that they're sick of tripping over, free to a good home.  That's too ridiculous.

Sorry I can't remember the name of the pizza joint.  They do sell them at the chemist though.

Roll Eyes

cheers
RET

OurCarClub.com.au is a web-based data management application, custom built for car clubs and their volunteer officials. More info...
SRVLIVES

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2006, 05:17:51 AM »

They do sell them at the chemist though.

Pizzas!... Really?

Wow, I'll have to grab a large hawaiian next time I'm buying condoms.....  Shocked

Phantom

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2006, 05:36:43 AM »

Those Hawiian people are rather large , and its best to have safe sex.
                       Cheers Rusty

Bogans rule
SRVLIVES

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2006, 05:51:34 AM »

I met a large Hawaiian once, said his name was 'Ben Dover'.... didn't sound very Hawaiian to me!  Shocked

NES304
Guru

Yes Dear

nes304
View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2006, 11:09:17 PM »

Yeah I know its ridiculous but hey if someones got 1200 bucks of auto rubber...

RET
Administrator
Guru

richard.e.thomas ret56fe
View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2006, 02:35:56 AM »

Yeah I know its ridiculous but hey if someones got 1200 bucks of auto rubber...

This is absurd.  We're here to help you with any amount of useful technical information and opinions, but we're not the Salvation Army Op Shop.

Vehicle restoration/modification isn't a particularly cheap hobby.  Obviously the more you can do yourself the cheaper it is, but there are some costs that are pretty much inescapable, and this is one of them.  If you have to complete your project over time to a budget, so be it.  There's nothing to be ashamed of in that.  But you're destined for disappointment if you think you're going to get anywhere with posts like this.

OurCarClub.com.au is a web-based data management application, custom built for car clubs and their volunteer officials. More info...
Blown_FC

FC Holdens & Mini Coopers....Cars of the Century

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2006, 06:22:01 AM »

Nes138.....if you want some useful advice, I would think hard about what sort of rebuild you are doing.

If you are building a totally new rebuilt show car, then my advice is spend the $1200 now, because when I started looking at rubber kits, they were $1000, then further during the rebuild it had gone up to $1200 odd, by the time I was ready for it, I spend over $1400 !

The world is running short of a few useful things in life, like Steel, Fuel and Rubber....(true story)...so don;t wait....if you need it and can find the money get it now !

BUT

If you don't have the money, and it's not a show car, then seriuosly think about plain old door seal type rubbers from Clark rubber or the likes.

After installing my new $1400 rubber kit, and having to slice it, shave it, cut it, and modify it just to get it too fit, ( THanks Brad for the help by the way. )  If I ever had to do it again, I would not waste so much money on repro seals that are bound to never fit right.  I'd rather spend half as much on generic seals ( where possible ) and be done with it !

Just my thoughts.

Failing those 2 ideas, look for unfinished projects for sale, and ring the owners up and ask the question.  You never know...you may actually get a Free rubber kit that the owner hasn't installed yet, but you may have to buy the car that goes with it.....Then you could always sell the car afterwards.

Mark
Al
nsw-club

I love FC Ute's!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2006, 08:44:16 AM »

Holy Moly he only asked a simple question    I would be carefull from now on for anybody to ask any questions in fear of these guys going around wearing white sheets and burning crosses in your front yard
     Al  

See ya
Al
HARKO
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2006, 12:53:10 PM »

Hey RET theres never any harm in asking ? And people can always say no !
RET
Administrator
Guru

richard.e.thomas ret56fe
View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2006, 03:31:54 AM »

Al,

I know you like to stir the possum any chance you get, old boy, but come on, not all "simple questions" are created equal.

And Harko, no there is no harm in asking, just like there's no harm in writing a letter to Santa.  I just think it's about as effective a method of getting a result.

Look, I'd love my old Faecal to have a nice paint-job, new trim, better chrome and yak yak yak, but I'm not in a position to do it myself or pay someone else at this point in my life.  It's never occurred to me to petition the forum members to donate their time and materials to rebuilding my car for me.  Do you think I should? Is this like "Restoration Rescue" or something?  (They're rhetorical questions, no replies required.)

In any case, it's not like NES has had a strip torn off him.  Like many others, he's been the recipient of lots of useful advice from this forum.  But asking for help and asking for donations are not the same thing.

cheers
RET

PS: Actually, Restoration Rescue is an idea with potential.  Pimp My Ride is too OTT.  It just needs someone with deep pockets to fund it, like Rupert's Foxtel.  Or John Laws - he's a car nut.

Ed
Guru

Ed74mnd
View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2006, 04:44:10 AM »

yep... you're all very rude.

I've been waiting for my chop top for close on 3 years now.. and it still hasn't arrived.  Lips sealed

I didn't even ask for rubbers or windows!
Tongue

please have the courtesty to wait in line for freebies.

in the shed
Glenn 'Stinky' Stankevicius
Guru

Model: FE and FC

Willaston, South Australia

Glenn.Stankevicius
View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2006, 05:25:05 AM »

PS: Actually, Restoration Rescue is an idea with potential.  Pimp My Ride is too OTT.  It just needs someone with deep pockets to fund it, like Rupert's Foxtel.  Or John Laws - he's a car nut.

They are not too far from the mark with a program from Pommyland, only problem they cover a strip and rebuild of english classics in one 1/2 hour episode and then you still get bits in between of some woman interviewing owners etc.

Blown_FC

FC Holdens & Mini Coopers....Cars of the Century

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2006, 05:27:27 AM »

RET....you may be on to something you know.

How about a new section on the site for FREE STUFF ?

I know myself, I have a number of parts that aren't really worth anything, not worth the effort or fees to list on Ebay, but are just too good to just throw away.

If there were a section on this site for FREE STUFF, people like me could list our unwanted collectable junk, and people like NES may very well find what they are looking for.....granted, anyone listing a Full Rubber kit for FREE is cleary deluded or has just one lotto, but the theory is still a good one, which could work to everyones advantage.

What do you think ?

Mark
Phantom

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2006, 05:57:02 AM »

and / or a swap section to go with it?
                        Cheers Rusty

Bogans rule
RET
Administrator
Guru

richard.e.thomas ret56fe
View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2006, 06:36:35 AM »

What do you think ?

What do I think?  Sounds like trouble.  You give it to me for free, I sell it on Ebay, we fight, start flame war #104.  No thanks.

Quite often members of the NSW Club turn up with a few bits and pieces under their arm as you describe: can't quite toss 'em, not worth selling, maybe useful to someone.  And someone else usually takes them home.  Nothing against anyone on the forum, but when I have stuff to give away, I have given it to fellow club members.

And if no-one takes you up on your rusty old crap?  Hey, our meeting place has an industrial sized skip.  You don't have to take it home. Wink

[box width=300]Disclaimer
Please don't fill the Crown's skip with rusty bootlids and doors.  We don't want to get the publican off-side[/box]

cheers
RET

Johns

Model: something else...

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2006, 09:51:22 AM »

I'm with RET on this one.

NES, you've received a lot of help from this forum. A bit of understanding of this wouldn't go astray.

Perhaps you'd like to contribute something?

Johns Huh

Now that I've got the beige with the grey, I'm looking for the cream, the bone, the ivory and the off white
NES304
Guru

Yes Dear

nes304
View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2006, 10:31:51 AM »

HEY BLOKES, (RET in particular)
             Don't worry, I still have all my strips on. But seriously I'm not here to offend or stir a pot but I was depressed at the thought of shelling out the big ones...cause I'm inpatient and want it done yesterday. all I want to do is cruise and it barely rolls. My Father "out" law is about to buy an FC himself, but his will be running! Jealousy rains hard at his place.

I have sent many thanks to ret on alot of my previous threads and RET i'll thank you again for all the answers and info that you have passed on to me. You've been most helpful. I don't think this is a salvatin army but I put the Q out there to see the response

At least I have all you guys still interested in the forum!

Now does any one have a fully worked 186 they can give me? I'll take a free rubber kit insted.  I'd type LOL but whats short for pee my self

fccool59

rain sucks     http://www.yout ube.com/watch?v =N1Uj

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2006, 12:04:07 PM »

I ran into a simular problem a few years back, I chucked all the perished rubber but when I priced new stuff I decided to live wih no rubber kinda literally becuase then I was sleeping in my car alot.
the most annoying part was the rattles and windows fogging every time it sprinked rained and I was always trying to dry out the carpet.
once every couple of years I bought a rubber, in the end I had accumalated 3 inner door rubbers before its current rebuild.

rain sucks  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1Ujma1lBac    rain sucks     rain sucks
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: