FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
April 28, 2024, 09:25:39 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Paint stripped  (Read 2546 times)
michaels57

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« on: July 16, 2002, 09:58:06 AM »

Hey guys,

just begun the tedius task of stripping back the paint on my ute is there any real reason or benefit in stripping back to bare metal what is the general feeling about it or is it enough to take it back to the undercoat.

Regards Michael
HARKO
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2002, 11:34:44 AM »

Hey Mike
I'm no tradesman but this is what I've learned
Paint stripper will eat into the undercoat aswell ,Undercoat is porus so it will soak up chemicals and when you try to cover them with paint it will react usualy as fish eye's {small circle's up to 2-3 mm }
Stripping a car let's you know whats hiding beneath the previous paint ie Bog Spray putty Rust or bad repairs and in some cases newspaper chicken wire plastic etc etc
Enamel shouldnt be painted over with acrylic but if you slowly build the undercoat from a dry coat to wet coats can seal the enamel,It  will work in reverse ,Lots of different brands of product out there can react with each other so stick with a well known brand of product for best results ,Stripping to a bare metal will give you an optimum finish ,sanding a layer or two back will give you a resonable finish ..
Hope this helps you out a little and I'm sure some of the guy's will let you know more,,...Harko..
michaels57

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2002, 07:59:09 AM »

Thank's for the advice Harko
Just a wee bit confused about your reply the original paint is an acrylic and i am going to be painting in an acrylic using several layers of undercoat. do i still need to take it back to bare metal

REGARDS MICHAEL
HARKO
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2002, 11:35:55 AM »

If you have used paint stripper bring it back to the undercoat my opinion would be to not risk spraying over the top because undercoat is porus which means it will soak up the paint strippers ingredients and react to the new paint
Acrylic over acrylic is no problem as long as its sanded not stripper'd
As I said I'm not TAFE taught but I have sprayed 12 car's and numerous other bits and peices so dont take my word as gosbell maybe ask a second opinion..
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2002, 09:14:41 AM »

Michael - I agree with Harko, once you have put stripper on the paint, you have no choice but to go back to bare metal.  You could rub the paint back to the undercoat, and start there if you want to, but you must do this with sand paper.

Ken
michaels57

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2002, 06:30:56 AM »

Thanx for the advice fellas
i spoke to ricki (the panel beater) yesterday and he said to leave the ute in the original undercoat. And then as he repairs it he will take it back to bare metal and then spray it in a coat of undercoat.

REGARDS
Michael Cool Cool
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: