FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
April 29, 2024, 11:16:55 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you a member of one of the FE-FC Holden Car Clubs of Australia ? If you are, get access to the Club-Member-only area of this discussion board. Send an IM to the board admin, including your real name and club to get access.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: VT V6 engine swap, Worth while???  (Read 5278 times)
Russ

mmm dohnuts

View Profile
« on: May 09, 2006, 01:03:15 AM »

Just picked up a vt for $1000 motor box and IRS is the v6 swap worth it, and has anyone tried fitting IRS into an FC.

Ford boy with a FC weakness!!!
Glenn 'Stinky' Stankevicius
Guru

Model: FE and FC

Willaston, South Australia

Glenn.Stankevicius
View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2006, 01:12:29 AM »

It all depends on what you are after from your FC?
There are a lot of FCs still getting around reliably and economically on their old grey motors.
I would suggest that IRS would be hassle and probably not worthwhile though, not only do you have fit it all up, but it will probably need shortening too.

Ed
Guru

Model: FE

Ed74mnd
View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2006, 01:42:13 AM »

IRS = cool.

do it!

Cheers

Ed

in the shed
Russ

mmm dohnuts

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2006, 04:45:02 AM »

Toying with the idea of doing a full chassis incorporating the VT front suspension and steering as well as the IRS but any engineering will be done to suit a V8, anyone know an engineer in Darwin. also looking for cheap FC Preferabley a wreck so i can use it for the "Prototype" without killing mine.

Blown_FC

FC Holdens & Mini Coopers....Cars of the Century

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2006, 04:57:31 AM »

( This reply wont help you at all )..BUT......I read in awe of anyone who sets out to take on such challenges.

My FC modifications have given me enough headaches over the years, which seem the most basic in form compared to some of the ideas spoken about here...I truly take my hat off to you guys who pull these jobs off.

The reason for my reply to this thread, is I'm curious if it would not be easier to somehow take an FC shell and fit it over the top of another car's factory running gear.

For example.....V8 minis are not V8's stuffed into Minis, they are usually a short wheel based datto or similar with the Mini shell bolted on top.

I know I'm simplifying what would still be a big job, but in theory, is there a car out there with the rack and pinion, the IRS, Full Chasssis ect ect ect, that a lot of guys want, that an FC shell could be slipped over the top of Huh?

Just a question more so than giving ideas or opinions.

Cheers and good luck with your rebuild.
Glenn 'Stinky' Stankevicius
Guru

Model: FE and FC

Willaston, South Australia

Glenn.Stankevicius
View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2006, 05:09:56 AM »

I know I'm simplifying what would still be a big job, but in theory, is there a car out there with the rack and pinion, the IRS, Full Chasssis ect ect ect, that a lot of guys want, that an FC shell could be slipped over the top of Huh?

Harko knows, but I don't think he is giving details ...... yet

BTW Russ, I am not trying to put you off, more power to you if you decide to go ahead. It's just that I have seen big plans turn to big nightmares then to "unfinished projects" for sale.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2006, 05:13:29 AM by stinky » Logged

fccool59

rain sucks     http://www.yout ube.com/watch?v =N1Uj

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2006, 07:15:07 AM »

I wonder if a 70's bmw 5 series rear end would be a easier fit, maybe cressida? these cars are worth nothing now.
I remember a fc at the wreckers in newcastle that must have got out of hand, they had grafted commodore strut towers into the subframe looked like a lot of wasted work, also on ebay i saw a near finnished HR sitting on a toyota crown full chassis wich would probably work well.
guess it depends on your skill / cash and what your engineer says.

rain sucks  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1Ujma1lBac    rain sucks     rain sucks
TorqueFC
Guru

Modified?

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2006, 11:46:20 AM »

I actually have something to say on the subject (as usual... Shocked )..

I have toyed with the idea of having a full chassis for a while, i have quite a lot of info and research on this but it has taken forever to do so i am not really willing to give out any models.

To begin with i went to the wreckers and measured up a ton of cars, most of which were holdens/toyota's and a couple of other models. I found quite a good fit with a certain toyota chassis, it had the perfect wheelbase, and the correct width. But i had a thought. This seems to easy? so i had a talk to some of the guys in our other club and i found out something i didnt really ever think of. This was that the chassis i found was from a 1990's toyota, if we were to go ahead with the build in the end we would have to fit all the pollution gear that was fitted to the toyota, something that we really didnt want to do. So the hunt was on once again, to find a chassis that was the right width, had the correct wheelbase, and was old enough to not have any polution gear added.

After a while, (on my holidays mind you) i found one. The problem now was the car was so old that all of the suspension and stuff really wasnt that great, which kind of took the hole point out of doing it. After this we kinda gave up, until having a chat to a guy who works at TopRodz (they do heavy chassis construction) . He told me that he could take the older chassis, fit independant suspension all round with a decent 4 bar rear and it would be a good fit into an fc. This sounded all good, but the end price of doing it was something like $5700.

Then you add that price to everything else you would need for a v8 conversion, and the car will owe you $30000+++, quite a lot for an FC   Embarrassed  Although if somebody went ahead with something like this, they would own one radical FC (Harko... Tongue ). ohh and it gets better, if you channelled the body enough you could get it on the ground with some bags... mmmm its nice to dream Cool Cool Cool Cool

tests have proven that the final words before a fatal urban car crash are "OH ****"

in a rural car crash they are " Hold my stubby and watch this for skill!"
Ed
Guru

Ed74mnd
View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2006, 09:31:53 PM »

the car will owe you $30000+++, quite a lot for an FC   Embarrassed  

also take into account the amount of $$ spent stuffing about and fixing mistakes which inevitably occur on a project of this magnitude.

of course you will probably suffer the "while I'm there.. syndrome" where the once OK modifications turn into "unbreakable" mods lol

so double that figure plus a half for good measure Smiley

conversions often leave the builder "flying solo" so expect to do some R&D of various insignificant parts like brackets.. brackets.. and more brackets.. did I mention brackets??

Cheers

Ed

in the shed
Russ

mmm dohnuts

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2006, 03:26:30 AM »

Smiley Huh Embarrassed :-/ Cry
Oh well, Ill see how i go, i'm studying to become a mechanical engineer so i guess over the next five years i will come up with something good. Will keep you all posted if/when i start.

gezza

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2006, 09:28:47 AM »

check out Pat Gardner V6 converions
JB
qld-club
Guru

Jason Blanchard
View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2006, 07:33:44 AM »

Hey Russ,

I have done the Vt conversion and would not really worry about the IRS, as the ride in mine is quite good with the VN diff and heavy duty springs and a good set of shocks. Just ask Ed, he has driven it. (Due in Cairns soon Ed? Grin)

The VT conversion is a big job, however there are a few people here who have done this successfully including myself.

I would be happy to discuss anything about the conversion with you, so not to fall into the traps I have. Including what it's cost me.

I think this site is all about sharing any information at hand as we all gain, this includes research. Otherwise we may as well not ask for help.

Give me a call anytime Russ,

Cheers
Jason.

Phone +64 223509263
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: