FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
April 29, 2024, 05:47:26 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: windscreen fitment  (Read 8972 times)
spider

GO THE MIGHTY GREY MOTOR

View Profile
« on: January 08, 2006, 10:34:27 AM »

Hi To All,
            Just wondering what is the best cord  to run in the rubber, when fitting windscreens.
Cheers, Spider  
smithy
Guru

yeah its purple !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2006, 09:02:05 PM »

gday spider,
not sure if it was the right stuff to use but when i did my screens i just used some nylon cord. it was actually one of those cheap travel clothes lines. it worked well, perfect length though a little thinner maybe be better especially when working the corners. i guess any strong thin cord would do but the nylon did seem to move easy. make sure you have someone on the outside applying heaps of pressure as you pull on the cord.i had my girl belting the crap out of the screen with a rubber mallet. Grin

while we are on the subject does anyone have any tips on how to insert/keep the windscreen surround in the rubber after you fit the glass. i had a nightmare trying to kep it all together last time and i want to replace the screen again soon. :-/
cheers
dean

i may be getting older, but i refuse to grow up!
Sarge
Guru

My 57 & Old No 7 all a Man Need's

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2006, 10:22:06 PM »

Spider
        your moulds go in the post on Monday

Cheers
Sarge

Mark Lees Tallerbudgera Queensland
        0421 165 351
Holden Classics; a BREED above the rest
spider

GO THE MIGHTY GREY MOTOR

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2006, 11:50:54 PM »

Thanks Sarge,
             Your a champion.
Have sent you a private message
Cheers Spider
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2006, 02:00:42 AM »

cord diameter of 3 to 4 mm seems to work best and with as smooth a surface finish as possible.  Nylon coated as suggested would be very good, but otherwise a fine weave is far better than a coarse weeve.   The cord used for household drapes is pretty good.
For moulds, make sure the locating tags are in good shape.  Use some tape to hold the moulds in place right up to when your about to pull the cord through, then slit the tape and remove it.

Ken
spider

GO THE MIGHTY GREY MOTOR

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2006, 07:31:03 AM »

Thankyou everyone for your help,
   Ken what do you mean by locating tags?, are these put into the rubber for the moulds to sit into. As i thought you just put the moulds into the rubber and they stayed in there on there own accord. Sorry for the questions but haven't done these before.
Regards Spider
Fast_Eddie

Body by Holden. Soul by Fast Eddie.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2006, 01:43:31 AM »

You put the stainless steel trim into the rubber while it is around the glass but before it is fitted to the car.

The stainless trim has locating tags on the back.

I don't believe it can successfully be installed after the glass and rubber have been installed in the car.
Chuck

Finished!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2006, 04:46:38 AM »

I’ve always used “Venetian Blind Cord, Number 20” with great success.  That’s the actual product name, available from most hardware stores.

Chuck

“So yes it has changed my life.  I can remember when I had a wife, a mortgage and a dog; I don’t have any 3 of those things any longer…”  Dr Gregory W Frazier
spider

GO THE MIGHTY GREY MOTOR

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2006, 05:48:50 AM »

Thanks Chuck & Fast_Eddie,
Will chase the cord up. Smiley
Thankyou Again,
Spider
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2006, 08:36:17 AM »

Yes, the tags on the bag of the stainless must be straight and square so that they resist coming out of the rubber.

Ken
fe hotrod

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2006, 11:16:26 AM »

;)the cord ken is talking about is the stuff most windscreen fitters use,and ive fitted many old holden windscreens!! fc ,s front screen is one of the easy ones to do much easyer than a brougham rear window they have very tight corners and very hard to get in too,but one of the tricks of the trade is to coat the cord in some petrolium jelly or vas as this just helps with the whole process of pulling the rubber up over the lip!!! Wink
customFC
nsw-club
Guru

Model: FC

Ask me about microwaving cats for fun or profit.

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2006, 12:25:52 PM »

Is any silastic or other sealant used to seal the screen, or is the plain rubber enough? If sealant is required, where is it applied and is it put in before or after screen goes in?
Regards
Alex

fe hotrod

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2006, 09:52:09 AM »

;)Alex ,you must use the proper windscreen sealent as sold in most good auto shops i think super cheap sell it,but it is not a silicon,do not use silicon on any glass fitment!!!the procedure goes like this:every thing must be clean and dry lay the windscreen seal on a flat clean surface run a bead of sealant around the inside bead where the winscreen will sit in the rubber then carefully fit the rubber around the glass,then once the rubber is on using the sealent gun stick the nozzle just in the rubber and run a bead around again then you will run a bead in the gap where the rubber mounts the body this is where you will also run the cord,fit the stainless trim in its slot in the rubber here you dont need sealent also run a bead of sealent around the lip on the body of the car,place the windsreen  into the area where it should go and apply a fair bit of preasure evenly around the outer edge once it is in a fair way u will need to go inside and use the tail of the cord,pull it gently as you do the rubber will slip over the body lip,it might take a fair bit of hitting the outside with the palm of your hand as you go!!!its not easy to describe how to do it in writing but if all else fails call your local winscreen bloke as this is not a job for the faint hearted !!you will also use a whole tube of sealent to get a proper seal!!hope this answers a few questions cheers jamie Wink
customFC
nsw-club
Guru

Ask me about microwaving cats for fun or profit.

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2006, 12:46:02 PM »

Thanks for the info Jamie.
Regards
Alex

Rod

I love YaBB 1 Gold!

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2010, 02:56:09 PM »

Hi All,

Sorry to bring up an old thread but I have a question about the type of sealant used to seal windscreens. I have the job of pulling both screens out of my ute as the have been leaking a reasonable amount for some time. It was a job I was going to do at the end of the last winter. Funny how they don't leak when it doesn't rain.

My question is what type of sealant should I use. I was in Super Cheap yesterday just looking and I seen some sealant which reminded me I had a job to do. They had two types and were advertised as windscreen sealant. On was Selley's but what concerned me was that it was Silicone based (seal other responses in this thread) and the other was by Septone which was non hardening. I am assuming by this thread it should be the Septone one. Are there any other brands / types that anyone would recommend?

Many Thanks

Rod
FX1975
nsw-club

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2010, 04:37:15 PM »

You need to use a putty based non-hardening sealant of good quality such as bostik
Cheers
Frank
zulu
nsw-club
Guru

Model: FE and FC

Old Boonah Ambo

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2010, 01:08:46 AM »

The type used on mine was Selleys D-MASTIC Industrial Grade skin forming caulking compound, black
FC427
nsw-club
Guru

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2010, 08:09:52 AM »

WURTH also make a very good windscreen sealer it is called Dab off and much easier to clean up after installation than mastic , if you have a fabric hood  lining and don't want to risk staining it with mastic this is the product I would use ......FC427......

As I lay rubber down the street I pray for traction I can keep, but if I spin and begin to slide please dear god protect my ride
jasonr70002

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2010, 04:52:34 PM »

I use the round whipper snipper cord with a wipe of vaso and it works great for windscreen fitment.

Golden Holdens FE-FC
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: