FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
September 21, 2024, 10:53:23 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you a member of one of the FE-FC Holden Car Clubs of Australia ? If you are, get access to the Club-Member-only area of this discussion board. Send an IM to the board admin, including your real name and club to get access.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: exhaust fumes  (Read 2317 times)
surferboy
wa-club
Guru

Model: FE and FC

10,000 POINTS !

View Profile
« on: October 17, 2005, 09:39:30 AM »

i'm getting exhaust fumes coming into the wagon. i cant find any obvious spots where its entering the wagon. any wagon owners had the same problem and found any hidden nooks or crannies i need to look for ? or is there any way of testing for leaks ?
Cool Cool Cool

cruisin's great with a 58
Ed
Guru

Model: FE

Ed74mnd
View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2005, 08:58:04 PM »

Rear tailgate seals?

the exhaust naturally swirls back around the gate area and if your seals are gone then i guess you can expect some fumes to enter the cabin.

failing that.. I had an EK wagon with bad seals and a long exhaust tip that exited the rear side.  ugly but no fumes.

Cheers

Ed

in the shed
fccool59

rain sucks     http://www.yout ube.com/watch?v =N1Uj

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2005, 11:19:14 AM »

I had simular problem and always assumed it was the rubbers but when I cut the back of my car too peices I found a few good cuases for the fumes due to hard to see rust holes.

rain sucks  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1Ujma1lBac    rain sucks     rain sucks
fc4kiwi

crusin fine in a "59"

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2005, 04:19:49 PM »

just wondering if the fumes are at the front or rear of the car, to test exhaust place a rag over the end of the tail pipe ( may have to get someone to help ) then if you have a leak, with the motor running you should be able to both see and hear it along the exhaust system.
My exhaust leak was at the manifold to pipe joint just need more exhaust cement Smiley
surferboy
wa-club
Guru

Model: FE and FC

10,000 POINTS !

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2005, 02:03:38 AM »

The exhaust system has been checked and the seals all appear to be ok. i guess i will have to crawl underneath and start looking for any holes. its just a question of where to start.
I was thinking of putting canaries in cages around the interior and seeing which one dies first to find the source of the leak

Cool Cool Cool

cruisin's great with a 58
colt
act-club

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2005, 05:31:34 AM »

Surfer, I found budgies are better because they're smaller & die quicker. Has your car still got a walking stick? Maybe it's engine fumes?
Colin.

colt
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: