FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
September 24, 2024, 09:13:25 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Are you a member of one of the FE-FC Holden Car Clubs of Australia ? If you are, get access to the Club-Member-only area of this discussion board. Send an IM to the board admin, including your real name and club to get access.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: 4/5 Speed to Grey Motor  (Read 4447 times)
Glenn 'Stinky' Stankevicius
Guru

Model: FE and FC

Willaston, South Australia

Glenn.Stankevicius
View Profile
« on: September 05, 2005, 12:03:27 AM »

I was looking to replace the gearbox on the wagon, but keep the grey motor. Thinking of a four or five speed conversion, until I called Dellow for a price on a kit! Are there any alternatives to the $800+ kit (not including g/box) ?

Poo Wagon Bloke

If its not Holden it Aint Golden!!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2005, 08:35:29 AM »

G'day Glenn,
A mate here in Ballarat has done a great job of adapting a Datsun 5 speed using a home made engine plate to mount to the original gearbox/ engine side mounts. Works a treat, however the usual big task of floor  surgery rears it's ugly head.  OK if you can do it yourself, but the $800 kit may be cheap compared to the bill that you may have for opening up the floor and welding in a new hump if you need someone else to do it.
I remember reading an old Custom Rodder years ago about adapting a Sigma 5 speed to a grey and I'm fairly certain that no floor surgery was necessary at all. Does anyone knpw of a car that has had a Sigma 5 speed adapted to it?
Anyway, I'll watch this post with interest.

Alan (Poo wagon bloke Snr.)

The Mighty Grey never dies!!
Glenn 'Stinky' Stankevicius
Guru

Model: FE and FC

Willaston, South Australia

Glenn.Stankevicius
View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2005, 10:06:45 AM »

Thanks Alan, I am pretty handy with a MIG and have already welded a hump in the project FE, so that isn't a problem. I'd be interested to get more details on this adaptor plate if you could, please.

Poo Wagon Bloke

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2005, 10:58:59 AM »

Glenn,
I'll see what I can find out.  Hopefully he still has a pattern of the plate.  Some people may have seen the car in question at Wintersun in the past couple of years; blue and white with a very unique personalised number plate,. A very cool car!  
The same bloke has done some magic work on Tayz car too.  Col is very clever with his hands and his head.  Raced a lot of speedway too!
I'll try to carch him in the next couple of days as I am away mid to late week.

Alan

Martin

Model: FC

Jim

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2005, 09:22:28 PM »

Hey Stinky,

Have you thought about the 5 speed box that first came out on the 2850 VH Commodore, and was then strengthened up for the 3.3 litre VK Commodore?

In the VH they were a bit slow 1st to 2nd, especially when cold, but you soon get used to that.  Otherwise they're a good smooth box.

Being bolted to the derivative of the "Red", an adapter might be easier to get hold of.

Martin

The liver is evil.  It must be PUNISHED

Martin
Marion.  South Aust.

Ebay user id:  lewis1411
RET
Administrator
Guru

Model: FE

richard.e.thomas ret56fe
View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2005, 12:57:49 AM »

Red motor to grey crashbox is a bolt-up proposition (no adaptor required), so it could well be the same the other way around.

cheers
RET

OurCarClub.com.au is a web-based data management application, custom built for car clubs and their volunteer officials. More info...
HARKO
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2005, 02:20:51 AM »

The linkages swap sides though and could be a different spigot bush from memmory which aint worth much.
Poo Wagon Bloke

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2005, 10:20:46 AM »

Glenn,
I chased up about that Datsun adaptor ring I spoke of last week.  Col tells me started with a red motor adaptor ring and welded on an 'ear' each side to pick up the mount.  Unfortunately he didn't make a template of the ring when he finished it, although he told me that he would do just that if he ever has to pull the box out.

One of our local Holden club members has a Gemini 5 speed behind a grey in his humpy; does anyone know anything about this swap?
Anyhow, I hope that helps a little bit.

Hooroo,
Alan

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: