FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
April 28, 2024, 10:31:16 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: just like... A pig on a spit  (Read 10163 times)
Ed
Guru

Model: FE

Ed74mnd
View Profile
« on: May 20, 2002, 10:42:50 PM »

I am contemplating building a deviced to spin my car upside down..

I have EK bumper mounts to attach to the car.  between these I shall weld and reinforce a piece of suitable RHS.

I was considering attaching this RHS then to a couple of engine stands.

Has anybody done this before?

I have on good word that a shell can easily be laid on to its side on a matress.. but I cant bring myself to do this.

the desired effect will be just like.... A pig on a spit

Any hints before I embark on yet another distraction?

in the shed
RET
Administrator
Guru

richard.e.thomas ret56fe
View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2002, 11:20:47 PM »

Ed,

One of our members (Vince) built his FE "BYEBYE" on a rotisserie in a garage that you couldn't swing a cat in.  If memory serves me right it had to be wheeled out into the driveway to spin the car on its axis, the garage was so small.

So it can be done.  Charlie (of the EK bonnet) built his car using the mattress technique, so maybe he can give you some pointers on that.

If you want Vince's or Charlie's phone number I can probably find them without too much difficulty.

cheers
RET

OurCarClub.com.au is a web-based data management application, custom built for car clubs and their volunteer officials. More info...
Hewart
nsw-club

Model: FC

Holden on forever...

profile.php?id=1071847991 hewart
View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2002, 07:36:49 AM »

G'day..

Don't know if this will help, but there is a young fellow from Orange, Aaron, (who is also a member of these boards) who has done an excellent restoration job on a beige FC ute.... a couple of years ago he emailed me these shots. I'm sure he won't mind me sharing 'em with you... It shows a little of rotisserie method.... He may chip in with some more details for you...

Cheers...

JB
qld-club
Guru

Jason Blanchard
View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2002, 07:49:09 AM »

Hi ED,

On one of the FJ sites, powered by Yahoo I think, there was a step by step process over the past few years of a estoration that was done using a "pig on the spit" he also had the details on how to build one with dimensions.

I will have a look to see if I can try and find the site to update you.

Cheers
Jason.  Grin

Phone +64 223509263
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2002, 10:05:11 AM »

The spit certainly works well if you have the steel and the welding experience to build it.
I laid one of my cars over on 4 tyres (no rims inside).
2 tyres on the sill and 2 on the roof gutter - absolutely no problem at all.  Youd be surprised just how light the body is when stripped and how strong it is as a shell as well.
However, I wouldn't use either method if you were replacing sills for instance, as forces other than standard are in play, and the body will be flexing a little one way or another.

Ken
Ed
Guru

Ed74mnd
View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2002, 10:23:35 PM »

Hi Guys,
Thanks for your input so far, ideas and photos.
The spit pictured is a nice set up and lucky to have the luxury of such a large shed!
I have been thinking of making the pivot point halfway between the bumper mounts, and using 2 round tubes (one inside the other) to allow rotation.  This shall be off the ground at least half the width of the car plus extra to allow for the arc of the swing.
on a base with wheels to allow for pushing in and out of the garage.
The hardest part will be lifting the car to the desired height to put it on the rotisserie, however I have a 2 ton engine crane handy.
The beauty of the rotisserie pictured is, it looks as though it is at standard sitting height when mounted, and swung up with relative ease.
hmmm still thinking....
cheers

Ed

in the shed
Ed
Guru

Ed74mnd
View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2002, 10:34:50 PM »

rethought...
after looking at those pics, my idea will have the weight too biased on one side.
the pictured spit has the "pivot" in line with the centre of the body.
and also judging by the comments, its not real necessary to have it rotate, since the body can be tipped up onto the stands with two people.

ok..

Ed

in the shed
Sarge
Guru

My 57 & Old No 7 all a Man Need's

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2002, 01:12:39 PM »

Ed
   I made one for a friend a few years ago it just mounted on the rear like a bumper bar but had 300mm space from the body  and the front mounted up like the k frame. and had a seperate mount like the front bumper once the k frame was refitted the base was extendable for the different lenght of the poject. from memory I measured from the left out side 1/4 panel across the rear to the postion of the right hand side bumperet to get the hieght which was changed later to make this adjustable. I think I still have the rough plan some where.

Regards
Sarge

P.S sorry to be so long winded
« Last Edit: May 23, 2002, 01:15:22 PM by Sarge » Logged

Mark Lees Tallerbudgera Queensland
        0421 165 351
Holden Classics; a BREED above the rest
Ed
Guru

Ed74mnd
View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2002, 08:47:34 PM »

That would be great Sarge,
ive thought aloud about a couple of ideas.

about those Rivnuts.. I guess you need a special tool to put them in etc?

Cheers

Ed

in the shed
Sarge
Guru

My 57 & Old No 7 all a Man Need's

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2002, 03:46:01 AM »

Ed
   A rivnuts is just a big pop-rivet but has a thread inside, sizes start at about 1/4" and go up from there. I am still looking for those drawing's when I find them I will send you a copy

Regard's
Sarge

Mark Lees Tallerbudgera Queensland
        0421 165 351
Holden Classics; a BREED above the rest
michaels57

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2002, 06:56:48 AM »

Hey Guys
Just reading here about your rotiserie sounds great if you can get it to work for you. Good Luck! But on another note though i think you will find that the 'rivnut's' that u are talking about if i understand correctly are actually called nutserts and they are installed with a nutsert gun.
Hope im right and i hope that helps if you are looking for them.

Good Luck with the rotiserie!
Michael
Charles Lark
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2002, 04:25:04 AM »

Hi Guys

It may be a little late, but I am considering making a rotisserie soon and was having a look on the web for any helpful sites.  Here are some links (most give pictures and a couple provide plans) that I thought gave a little guidance:

http://www.mummbrothers.com/SRF_Stuff/Secrets/Maintenance/Rotisserie.htm

http://www.1962to1965mopar.ornocar.com/rotisseriebydave.html

http://www.autorestorer.com/articles/art106.html

http://www.geocities.com/kenshobnob/rotisserie.html

http://members.tripod.com/mopar_roadster/body_rotisserie.html

http://www.tigersunited.com/techtips/rt-MenkeRotis1.asp

Also, if you don’t feel like making your own, Australian Garage Equipment in Bayswater Melbourne hire rotisseries for $140/week or $400/month.  Their contact details are: (03) 9720 9989 or 0428 850 673

Cheers

Charles
RET
Administrator
Guru

richard.e.thomas ret56fe
View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2002, 04:48:34 AM »

$400/month?  There's some motivation to get the car finished!

OurCarClub.com.au is a web-based data management application, custom built for car clubs and their volunteer officials. More info...
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: