FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
September 21, 2024, 03:53:08 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Newbie Needs Some Advice  (Read 5717 times)
57bus

In Need Of Another Project

View Profile
« on: July 27, 2005, 09:40:59 AM »

I am fairly new to this site, I havent even got a Holden yet, I am looking for a wagon or station sedan in either FE, FC, FB or EK and as I am new to Holdens I was wondering if there was anyone who can help me with some advice.
I am thinking of fitting a disc front end for saftey reasons, I can get a HR front, do they just bolt in?
What do I have to do to the rack ect?
I am also thinking of fitting a 186 as I have been told they are better than the 202, is this right and will it also just bolt in.
How expensive is it to fit a 3.8 V6, from a commodore, I have heard of the kits from the Rod Shop?
If I find a non auto such as a FE FC,how hard is it to fit a trimatic and is this the way to go for an auto.
As I mentioned I am a complete novice, It didnt take me long to work out my old kombi with the right advice and thats what I am after.
I understand some might have differant opinions but I would like to hear them all.
Thanks for your help in advance.
Cheers
Dave
Dave_EH

Keep on Holden' on

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2005, 09:52:39 AM »

Dave,

Check out the info in the tech section of this site (on the main page) - that should clear up most of your queries on HR front and trans/motor.

In brief - yes the HR front basically bolts on using the full cross member.  They don't have a rack so to speak, although this conversion can be done.  Slim had an HR front with a rack and pinion set up for sale while again - that may be a starting point.

202 Vs 186?  Basically identical, yet the 202 is stroked out 186 so that is where problems lie in older motors when they run hot with valve clearance etc.

Look at some old posts on a V6 conversion - it could end up being very expensive, when a good red motor gives good economy and more than enough power.  A V6 will also need many mods for an engineers certificate.

Trans - try http://www.ehholden.com.au for good rundown on transmission - the trimatic is fine, but more space is needed in an FE/FC or manual FB/EK trans tunnel.

Hoppers stoppers also has some good info on HR disk upgrade.

They are all fairly common mods - you have just as much chance picking up a car with them than without them.

Dave

« Last Edit: July 27, 2005, 09:53:41 AM by Dave_EH » Logged
57bus

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2005, 09:57:13 AM »

Sorry but more questions.
i have just read a post regarding HQ brakes.
What is the best set up for discs and approx cost, If you fit the commodore ones will they bolt on? if they bring the wheels ina bit will this cause them to scrape ?
How hard is it to fit power steering.
As I said I have loads of questions and I would like some ideas on what I can and cant do before I get my elusive wagon.
I would like it to handle, stop and drive something like a modern car and be safe enought to carry the family.

Cheers
Dave
Dave_EH

Keep on Holden' on

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2005, 10:12:56 AM »

Dave,

I don't know about stopping and handling like a modern car, but improvements can be made on original thats for sure.

I'd probably keep it simple to begin with, unless you plan to go all out from the start with a ground up sort of job.

Have a read of the Hoppers Stoppers page on early holdens before you think any further.

With stock type wheels you can only run drums, with HR stock wheels you can only run HR front, you'll have to go for mags before you can run any other set ups I think. I won't say too much on this as there are other users who really know their stuff.

IMHO, an HR front with a dual line master, some good aftermarket rotors and calipers and good rear drums - and some nice mags with decent rubber is a good start.  The cost would be fair and the stopping power improved dramatically.

Dave
Effie C

Model: other Holden

Still Lost & Confused

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2005, 10:27:32 AM »

Dave
Not sure where you are but a good start for a new person to this game is to go along to your nearest early holden club and suss them out, if you like them join and usually a wealth of knowledge and help is forthcoming.
Also try the search button as a lot of questions have been gone over before and a search will bring forth the well of knowledge also.

Good luck and welcome to the fold (hope you have a good budget to do the car up because you will need it)

Effie C

LIVE LIFE ONE DAY AT A TIME,FOR TOMORROW MAY NEVER COME!

Photo Site:http://img53.photobucket.com/albums/v161/EffieC/
57bus

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2005, 05:14:44 AM »

Thanks all.
I have been meaning to get to the local FE FE club meeting, it is 5 mins from my house, but keep forgetting.
I WILL be at the next one.

EffieC, not really got a good budget but willing to give it a go doing the work myself, just sold a kombi that took me 4 years to do so it cant be too differant.
I am searching through the posts to check on some ideas.
One thing, if I fit the HR front, what do I do with the steering, does it bolt to the original one or do I have to fit another.

Cheers
Dave
RET
Administrator
Guru

Model: FE

richard.e.thomas ret56fe
View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2005, 05:48:18 AM »

This article "How to fit an HR Front End to an FE or FC Holden" from the Tech Area is what you need.

cheers
RET

OurCarClub.com.au is a web-based data management application, custom built for car clubs and their volunteer officials. More info...
57bus

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2005, 06:48:58 PM »

Thanks RET.
That was exacty what I was looking for.
Just need to find a wagon to do it on now.

Cheers
Dave
Martin

Model: FC

Jim

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2005, 09:17:32 AM »

I have been meaning to get to the local FE FE club meeting, it is 5 mins from my house, but keep forgetting.

Dave, get this:

SA Club meeting:

This coming Tuesday night, 2nd August.  Don't forget

Regards,

Martin

The liver is evil.  It must be PUNISHED

Martin
Marion.  South Aust.

Ebay user id:  lewis1411
57bus

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2005, 04:47:16 AM »

I will be there.
Will look silly in my kombi t-shirt???
What time does it start and is it still at the toc hall, delaine st.

Cheers
Dave
FC229

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2005, 10:49:40 AM »

Club has to the place to start. You can check what has worked on cars, what you like about what owners have done, and what the owners like about their cars.

My suggestion would be to put all that info together, decide what you want, and buy the closest thing you can find, i.e. something with HR front end, red or V6 engine etc. It's got to be better than what it costs to start from scratch, sort the car out as you go. Plus it leaves what's left of the unmodified ones that are worth the work to someone who wants an original.

Talk to plenty of people who have rack and pinion if you're thiking about that, I don't think it's worth what it ended up costing me Shocked
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: