FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
October 07, 2024, 09:28:00 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Need Info On NASCO wheather shields  (Read 4469 times)
holdenit

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« on: July 11, 2005, 06:46:27 AM »

I have a weather shield package, pt no 7405473.....what does it suit?
It's not in my Holden 20yr pats catalogue.
Help?HuhHuh
Cheers
Dr_Terry

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2005, 10:14:25 AM »

Hi holdenit.

My guess is Vauxhall, Chev or Pontiac from the early 50s.

I've got a lot of early Holden books & it doesn't feature in any of those.

Also all the FE/FC weathershields with 74 numbers , are 7406xxx, so it's earlier than FE.

Dr Terry.
holdenit

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2005, 10:21:49 AM »

On the box it says "HOLDEN All Weather Window Shieds"
RET
Administrator
Guru

Model: FE

richard.e.thomas ret56fe
View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2005, 12:52:22 AM »

It is apparently a 48/FJ item, if the information on this page is to be believed.  Known as an "ALL WEATHER WINDOW SHIELD".

There's no picture available, and these things are not normally reversible, so I would have expected to see two part numbers: one LH and one RH.

Very odd that it does not appear in the parts book either, even as a superseded item.  The parts book I've got access to at the moment is 48-FB, and every weather shield for those models has a 7406xxx part number, which suggests to me the numbers got rationalised at some point.  Presumably an FJ parts book would list it.

cheers
RET

OurCarClub.com.au is a web-based data management application, custom built for car clubs and their volunteer officials. More info...
RET
Administrator
Guru

richard.e.thomas ret56fe
View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2005, 12:57:27 AM »

On the box it says "HOLDEN All Weather Window Shieds"

This was a clue that it might be 48/FJ.  Boxes that have a label (rather than just a number stamped at either end), often have some other descriptive text on them to say exactly what they are and what models they fit.  The fact that this one only says "HOLDEN" suggested that it might have been a "Universal" fit at the time it was made.  Only after the FE was released would it have been model-specific.

cheers
RET

OurCarClub.com.au is a web-based data management application, custom built for car clubs and their volunteer officials. More info...
gp
act-club

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2005, 07:10:23 PM »

I found this last night in one of my early books. They are a set of 4 metal shields that you paint to match the colour of your car, and they fit acroos the top of each door. They fit 48 & FJ.

Cheers,

Graham
RET
Administrator
Guru

richard.e.thomas ret56fe
View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2005, 09:36:47 PM »

Peter (holdenit) was good enough to send me a couple of photos of these weather shields.

You see perspex jobs like these on modern four wheel drives.  Nothing new under the sun, is there?  Roll Eyes

The fact that it was complete kit for 4 doors explains the single part number.  They are not weather-shields (as per the usual definition) which explains why they don't appear in the superseded part number list either.  They must have just been dropped completely at some point.  (Maybe they weren't all that popular, especially since they require drilling holes in the door frames Shocked)  They also look to be painted the same colour as the underside of the sun-visor.

Very interesting accessory.  They look like they'd be easy to repro...

cheers
RET

4hammers
tas-club
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2005, 09:49:36 PM »

Hi Guys.
NOW I know what you mean. Weathershield conjured up images of the perspex type. These were quite popular down here. I have seen a few FX - FJs with them down here & found the odd one on wrecks.

They were dropped after FX FJ as far as I know. In the USA they were very popular, with stainless & chromed ones being available for all different makes & models.

One more accessory for your car.

Rob J

WTB..FE FC Commercial...Stock plz
holdenit

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2005, 08:16:23 AM »

Thanks guys......your expertise is spot-on. Amazing the net has put all these brains together!!!!!
Martin

Model: FC

Jim

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2005, 12:32:51 PM »

I've just picked up on this thread - a bit late I know, but FWIW, here's my comment:

These types of fittings were also popular on Pommie up-market cars in the late 40s and early 50s.  My first car was a 1948 Austin 16 - definitely an up-market car (Jeez I wish I still had it) and it had the shileds on the doors - but they were glass.  I seem to recall I've also seen them on Rovers and maybe Humbers of that vintage.  I reckon I've also seen chrome ones on one (or more) FJ as some time in my distant past.

They were good - allowed you to have the window(s) down a tad even when it was raining.  Excellent when you had a few smokers in the car at the one time.  (Does anyone allow smokers in their FEs or FCs these days?)

You used to be able to buy all sorts of weird things - some of you will remember the pull-down blinds (inside the car) that were a bit like the canvass awnings you see on some houses nowadays.

Peter, if you measure them up on 48-FJ door you'll find they'll fit (as RET has said).  Chrome them up, put them on Ebay, and I reckon they'll sell well.

Martin

The liver is evil.  It must be PUNISHED

Martin
Marion.  South Aust.

Ebay user id:  lewis1411
HAD 708

Holdens and the Mighty Woodsmen truly magnificent

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2005, 03:01:14 AM »

Definetly humpy Nasco option but do not chrome them as they were meant to be the same color as the car. I have seen a similar later retro fit to a FE that i think was on this site.
A nice get FX FJ owners will bee keen.
Brett

Brett Gillard
holdenit

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2005, 04:14:10 AM »

Hi Fellas....I put them on Ebay, as when I bought them, the fellow told me they were HR at a swap.....they didn't even come close to the old girl. Thanks for your help!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: