FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
April 29, 2024, 09:22:35 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: grinding spark removal  (Read 6721 times)
NO NAME

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« on: May 30, 2005, 09:29:36 AM »

Today I got a grinding spark in my eye, this is nothing out of the ordinary for me except this one doesnt mysteriously dissapear like the others.
I know you going to say you should have had eye protection but I did have eye protection.
does any one know how to get them out.
I have been poking my eye with my finger but it doesnt work, also poured a glass of water into my eye.
I am worried my eye might rust and its also annoying.

craiga
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2005, 09:33:42 AM »

does any one know how to get them out.

ummmmm, go to the doctor.........................

This happened to my boiler maker mate and he didn't do anything about it - and ended up with an infected eyeball.

Lots of pain, and as the skin had grown back over the metal fragment he had to have an eye operation.
minifcvan
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2005, 09:37:34 AM »

hold your eye open with thumb and finger and keep rolling eye around it works for me good luck
Effie C

Model: other Holden

Still Lost & Confused

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2005, 09:39:36 AM »

As Craig has said straight to the emergency department of the hospital, if left in the metal starts to rust and can cause serious eye damage. The doctors will place drops in your eye and then clamp your head in a vise style structure so you can not move. They then shine a light in your eye and using the needle from a syringe they flick the piece of metal out of your eye.

Does not sound nice but this is what it takes (I have had to go through this about four times now and yes I was wearing safety glass's as well).

Don't stuff around as that little piece of metal can send you blind if left in there.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2005, 09:40:21 AM by fcmayberry » Logged

LIVE LIFE ONE DAY AT A TIME,FOR TOMORROW MAY NEVER COME!

Photo Site:http://img53.photobucket.com/albums/v161/EffieC/
Murray

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2005, 11:01:27 PM »

As part of my work on the minesite I am required to deal with injury treatment and foreign bodies in the eye are something that occur weekly.
If the body cannot be easily removed you must seek medical help immediately. Do not try to remove anything in the coloured part of the eye, leave that to the doctors.
Safety glasses do not provide enough protection on their own from grinding sparks and a face shield should be worn as well. The best shields are the ones that have a chin guard.
Hope you were able to have the offender removed without too much discomfort.

Cheers Murray
Ed
Guru

Model: FE

Ed74mnd
View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2005, 11:21:31 PM »

Hey Leon,

this happened to me...

i had a rust piece in my eye, I had to go to Eye hospital emergency.
The piece of rust felt like sandpaper in the eye.
The hospital washed out the eye then proceeded to grind the surface of the eye.
It is painless but very disturbing to watch a doc come at your eye with a grinder.

Go to a hospital mate.
Cheers

Ed

in the shed
Glenn 'Stinky' Stankevicius
Guru

Model: FE and FC

Willaston, South Australia

Glenn.Stankevicius
View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2005, 11:32:13 PM »

Just think if you leave it there, you may end up being a "one-eyed holden fan"  Lips sealed Lips sealed

Sorry guys, I can hear you all groaning from here,

but seriously, get yourself off to the Doctor or the Emergency Dept pronto.

Fast_Eddie

Body by Holden. Soul by Fast Eddie.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2005, 01:17:13 AM »

The rusting of the eyeball is an obvious point of concern.

Sandblasting may be a little abrasive and cause some discomfort.

Deoxidine, although effective in neutralsing rust is likely to produce a mild burning sensation when applied to the eyeball.

Surely POR15 have a suitable product?

Alternatively, you could seek medical advice, rather than consulting a bunch of car builders, modifiers and restorers on something as critical as damage to your eyes.

Just a thought...  Huh

BTW. DO NOT SANDBLAST OR DEOXIDINE YOUR EYE, LEON.
Murray

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2005, 03:05:01 AM »

What Ed say's is quite correct. They usually wash or pick the body out of the eye with a blade or needle and then drill the stain out. It is painless as they use drops which kill the pain.
It really is quite straight forward and is not as bad as it sounds.
stevefcvan

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2005, 04:54:45 AM »

mate like every one has said,   dont hang off going cause it gets worse,   even if you start poking your finger in there it will scratch your eye, i know from when i have had to get stuff out of my eye on a few times it doesent feel nice when there geting it out but what alse  can you do

steve
julius
act-club

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2005, 05:00:52 AM »

Go and have the eye tended to straight away by a qulified doctor or lovely nurse, Like they all have been saying. you may cause more damage by trying to get it out and blindness is not a good thing' just as me as I'm blind in one eye. life can be difficult at times expecially if its the right eye like mine.

Check your eye out now.

Regards

Julius
fe hotrod

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2005, 07:16:31 AM »

:oi think just about everyone that has worked on old cars has had the same injury :'(some of us learn the hard way!!we all are to blame picking up the grinder to whip that small bit of metal off or quickley clean up a weld(NO GOGGLES)before you know it ohh sh#t,yep i have had a small piece of metal splinter sticking out of my eyeball next step try and get the missus to remove it!!no joy there!!as im getting abused for not wearing protective goggles,or mask,so she whips me down to the local doc,s,cause its hard to drive with one hand covering your injured eye!!!doctor says mmmm wwerent you wearing protective glasses?? as my head is held in a vice type thing as he plucks the metal spinter from my eye :'(he said its left a rust ring as he squirts some stuff in my eye!!!and you think i learnt my lesson.......nup i was back there the very next day,same complaint,boys will be boys!!!!funny thing my eye is starting to water as i type!!!!lesson learnt this time??maybe!!! Cry
NO NAME

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2005, 07:30:57 AM »

its gone, it mysteriuosly dissapeared after all you guys scaring 6the shit out of me with stories of vices needles and blades.
there was a lump in my eye about 3.5mm diametre but its pretty much gone now too.
I might upgrade my goggles, I never use too wear them till recently as I now like to get my head in the middle of the action.
I started doing this in just shorts but it has evolved to jeans, long sleeve shirt, long leather gloves, steel cap boots and goggles that I wear all weakend except for when I have a welding mask on.
I got sick of being covered in little red dots.
I get sparks in my eyes all day but this one stuck there and was quite painfull.
if it happens again I have vices, rust remover and blades here anyway.

fccool59

rain sucks     http://www.yout ube.com/watch?v =N1Uj

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2005, 09:13:20 AM »

Dam, I finally got to do some work on my car during the week, I got home early (5:45) and then had to send the kids to their room for throwing the kittens across the yard and at the fence wich gave perfect opportunity to work on my car.
Unfortunately I got a big grinding spark stuck on my eyeball again, yes I was wearing safety glasses.
Like last time my wife is at work all night again with my car as hers is quite modern and always has something wrong with it.
hopefully at some stage of the night it will magic its way out again.

rain sucks  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1Ujma1lBac    rain sucks     rain sucks
Glenn 'Stinky' Stankevicius
Guru

Model: FE and FC

Willaston, South Australia

Glenn.Stankevicius
View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2005, 12:17:59 PM »

There may not actually be anything there Leon, sometimes they eye can just be scratched and it just feels like something is still there. Just like pulling a splinter from your finger, it still hurts after the splinter comes out.

fccool59

rain sucks     http://www.yout ube.com/watch?v =N1Uj

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2005, 12:21:34 PM »

its a black dot that wont move, same as last time.

rain sucks  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1Ujma1lBac    rain sucks     rain sucks
TorqueFC
Guru

Modified?

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2005, 12:26:02 PM »

gotta hate that  :-/  

talking about injuries whilst working on cars, i was stripping back the firewall using a wire wheel on a drill, whilst having a conversation with the old man....anyway in a matter of seconds the wire brush dug right into my left hand, looks pretty bad, and has slowed me down a bit  Embarrassed Embarrassed

anyways, back out to the garage  Shocked

tests have proven that the final words before a fatal urban car crash are "OH ****"

in a rural car crash they are " Hold my stubby and watch this for skill!"
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: