FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
May 01, 2024, 02:46:58 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Mig Welding  (Read 16252 times)
NO NAME

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« on: April 13, 2005, 06:56:19 AM »

I dont know if its my mig wearing, interest deteriorating, or the steel I am welding but I seemed to be getting worse over the weekendwhile welding big patches into the floor.
I started with .6 solid steel wire but ran out of gas so I put on a roll of .8 flux core wich is wer things started to get worse, I was blowing holes every were so I dropped the amps to its minimum wich still blew holes every were and didnt penetrate hardly at all. I then get up and relieved some frusturation wich ended with sore toes even with steel cap boots on.
I thought it may have been some pitting left in the floor but it seems to be on the new steel as well. steel is I think about .9
has anyone got any ideas on why I am getting so bad with blowing holes through?

FATBOY
Guru

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2005, 07:59:27 AM »

did you back your wire speed off when turning down the amps
hope this helps
cheers fat

fatboy
oldgmh

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2005, 08:00:51 AM »

Hey fccool,

I can't help you with the welding - but you do need spell check.

I cen spel reel goood if yu nede halp.

regerds
earlee
NO NAME

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2005, 09:23:36 AM »

good boy for being a good speller, you deserve a scratch & sniff stamp. spelling lessons are not really what I need to get this sucker back on the road so I think I will decline on your offer.
as for the spelling not being perfect I was trying to get the message up before I got tea for myself and the kids who were screeming at me for food.
I was hoping that by time I returned my post would have been flooded with replies of usefull welding advice but then found THE ONLY SINGLE FRIGGIN REPLY FROM A FORUM FULL OF RUSTY OLD HOLDEN FIXER UPPERS TO BE FOR HELP WITH SPELLING.
does any one know of a good spelling forum, maybe there will be some users there with welding knowledge.

Hey Erlee you need to get on more forums and see just how bad people get with there spelling when typing into forums. I did pretty darn good job with two kids hanging of as I typed with the keyboard behind my head like jimmy hendrix playing his guitar.
while typing this I set the keyboard on fire and started swinging it around the room now I am going to smash it over the monitor and hope someone will give me some helpfull welding advice before this car starts sending me nuts.

btw, Thats not how you spell early.

please reply if you are a experienced welder not a english teacher.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2005, 09:36:29 AM by FCCOOL » Logged

NO NAME

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2005, 09:33:18 AM »

sorry fatboy I missed your post, excuse me will I extinguish the keyboard and superglue it back together.
I have been welding at 1/2 to 3 1/4 on the speed dial, this was fine in the past but prior to I did alot more in thicker metal but with the amps on setting down from full.
I find it difficult to get a constant line at a slower speed and my mig seems to run a inconsistant speed when it is down low.
however anything is worth looking more into, do you think the wire feeding through at a rapid rate could be just pushing everything rite through the weld?
I might add that my mig automatically decreases the wire speed when the amps are dropped.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2005, 09:40:13 AM by FCCOOL » Logged

Glenn 'Stinky' Stankevicius
Guru

Model: FE and FC

Willaston, South Australia

Glenn.Stankevicius
View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2005, 10:35:56 AM »

I'd be backing off the amps and wire feed then building it up until you are happy with the weld.

I went through a lot of trouble with my MIG recently, crap welds with poor penetration and spatter everywhere. Replaced the earth strap with double the original, busted the wire feed pot in the process and replaced that, the replace the inner wire feed core, new wire. It ended up being a faulty gas regulator, the gauges "popped up" when the gas was on, there was the "whoosh" of gas when you hit the trigger but I eventually found that nothing was coming out after that.
These MIGs can be tricky bastards sometimes  Roll Eyes

56aussie

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2005, 11:33:30 PM »

Is your mig a gas/gasless type?
Some bigger migs will run the gasless wire but dont have a polarity switch.
The polarity needs to be opposite for gas or gasless.
Dont understand why, just know to do it.
Sorry if I'm being too obvious.

All of my tools are hammers,
except the chisels,
they are screwdrivers.
FC-V8

Model: FC

Not enough hours in the day

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2005, 12:03:24 AM »

This is true for my mig if I am using flux core wire I have to reverse the cables on the mig & reverse them back for gas wire.
Glenn
« Last Edit: April 14, 2005, 12:03:50 AM by GLENN » Logged

What it to rev ? install a CHEV !
0401-065-201
Ed
Guru

Model: FE

Ed74mnd
View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2005, 03:59:21 AM »

Hey Leon,

Rather than trying to lay down a big bead all at once, when working with sheet I tend to trigger the gun constantly.  ie get good penetration in one spot, wait a split second, then trigger the gun again, laying the new weld just on the back of the spot just welded. i find this reduces the tendencey for blow outs as you are laying down onto the thicker new metal.

if your wire feed is too high it will tend to build more, and affect penetration.

i set my MIG on quite high with a low wire feed and it feels like squirting on liquid metal out of the nozzle.

which way do you work the gun?  do u drag it or push it?  i push mine mostly, working the weld into the gassed area... saves gas too.

Make sure your contact tip is spatter free and clean (not crusty and dirty) and also the inside of your gas nozzle is clean.  nozzle dip guard is a good thing for this.

I dont use flux core, apparently it gives poor welds... good for emergency jobs only.

Oh i'd drop back to .6 wire too.

Cheers

Ed

« Last Edit: April 14, 2005, 04:01:22 AM by EH » Logged

in the shed
Sarge
Guru

My 57 & Old No 7 all a Man Need's

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2005, 06:02:09 AM »

Leon
      My welder is a Lincon gasless and the wire I use is .8. As stated by others check that you have changed the polarity of your mig. Then grab a bit of scrap and slow done the wire feed. With gasless it took me a bit to get used to using it, not as easy as it seems. I find that you have to do smaller amount of welding. As with the gasless wire even with the amps turned down it burns hotter. My Lincon is set at the lowest amps and 2 on the wire feed. I still blow the odd hole here and there but only when I try and weld to much or for to long I should say. Gasless wire is no good for chassy work.

Sorry about the spelling hope this helps you out in some way.

Cheers
Sarge

Mark Lees Tallerbudgera Queensland
        0421 165 351
Holden Classics; a BREED above the rest
NO NAME

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2005, 11:21:10 AM »

yes I did reverse the polaritry, if the doubled cable helped maybe it might help if I freshly grind a spot to clamp to.
I did find all the good welding on the car is with .6 and the stuff ups all seem to be with .8 gas and gasless.
A idiot at bunnings told me the .6 wire was $29 for a minispool so I went without but then found it at gasweld for about $9
I have to stock up on more bottles this weekend so I might get some of that stuff to put on the tip, thanks guys for the tips, Ill let ya's know the results on saturday night.
has anyone had success with fluxcore plus gas and how do you set the polaritry for that combo, I need to use that stuff up.

Sarge
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2005, 07:46:03 PM »

Leon
       Useing gas with gasless wire wont make a differance. I tried it once and the gas makes no differance at all. So save your gas and use the gaslee wire up, just have a practise first.

Cgheers
Sarge

0421 165 351
Guru

Glenn.Stankevicius
View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2005, 08:13:16 PM »

Sounds like these disposable bottles are killing your budget, why not get a proper bottle? The E Size I have from BOC costs about $80-90 rental per year plus refills. I haven't refilled for over a year now, but I haven't been doing much body work either.

Dave_EH

Keep on Holden' on

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2005, 11:03:46 PM »

In my short lived experience I've had some trouble with the disposable bottles.  Sometimes the gas seems to come off and on intermitantly and the little regulator and valve seem pretty dicky.

Maybe the big bottle is the go?

Dave
NO NAME

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2005, 09:21:19 AM »

well the salesman I bought the mig of said that for home use the little bottle would probably last a couple of years, what really pisses me of is that I could have got a big bottle now with the money I spent on little bottles, also a guy at boc gases showed me a real nice quality looking mig for only $200 more than the one I got, Ive made a pretty regretful decision.

do you guys know the cost of setting up a big bottle?

Guru

Glenn.Stankevicius
View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2005, 10:27:08 AM »

A regulator is about $120, I only bought mine a few months ago.
Bottle rent is $90-110 a year for an E size bottle I think.
Not sure on refills though, it's been a while.

NO NAME

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2005, 10:58:43 AM »

yeah I went to boc and got some prices, $129 for a regulator, $60.00 to fill with Co2/Argon and $9.00 per month rental.
I decided to see if any one had a reg I could borrow or buy second hand.
I then went and bought another dispossable bottle wich lasted for about 25 minutes, I ended up going for the rest of the afternoon without gas, it wasnt real perfect but a improvement over last weekend, I am up a setting in amps and under half way on the wire speed.
The mig has 3 switches on the front wich I still get confused with.
I assume each switch ads another resistor, I dont know why they could do this with 1 simple dial.
I tried Ed Ho's method with on and off the trigger, I can see why he can use so many amps as it seems to be burning hardly any holes like this but it does take a little longer.

Sarge
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2005, 07:29:11 PM »

Leon
       If you can post pic of your mig controls (switches). I will see if I can explain them to you.

Cheers
Sarge

0421 165 351
customFC
nsw-club
Guru

Model: FC

Ask me about microwaving cats for fun or profit.

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2005, 10:11:54 AM »

$129 for regulator.......anyone know who can repair these in Sydney? 1 of my guages is broken and I think it may be the cause of my mig playing up.
Thanks for the topic Leon, I have been reading (and learning) with interest.
Regards
Alex

NO NAME

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2005, 10:17:25 AM »

me too, considering there is 1000's of people in the world doing up old rusty cars there is stuff all info on mig welding on the net.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: