FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
May 02, 2024, 03:02:38 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: BOOT-MOUNTED AIR CONDITIONING EVAPORATOR  (Read 6789 times)
Chuck

Finished!

View Profile
« on: March 14, 2005, 10:59:31 PM »

Hi All

I am trying to locate a second hand boot mounted air conditioning unit (i.e. the evaporator).

I was speaking to Dr Terry last week and he mentioned that a company in Queensland once manufactured this style of unit for taxis.  They were unique in that they had an unusual air intake/exhaust system (the intake/exhaust ducts resembled two speaker grilles in the rear parcel shelf, air was drawn in through the centre and exhausted around the outside – or vice versa, I can’t exactly remember).

As fas as I know, a member of this club has successfully fitted one of these units to his sedan.  If anyone has any photos of the boot of this car, or indeed the unit, could you please send them to me or post them here.  Additionally, if anyone is aware of such a unit in a wrecking yard, or if you have one that you are willing to part with, could you please let me know?

Cheers - Chuck

“So yes it has changed my life.  I can remember when I had a wife, a mortgage and a dog; I don’t have any 3 of those things any longer…”  Dr Gregory W Frazier
Fast_Eddie

Body by Holden. Soul by Fast Eddie.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2005, 06:49:14 AM »

I maybe able to find one, but will need about 7 days solid work on a particular Station Sedan in exchange.
Fast_Eddie

Body by Holden. Soul by Fast Eddie.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2005, 06:49:35 AM »

In advance Grin
NO NAME

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2005, 01:02:40 PM »

I maybe able to find one, but will need about 7 days solid work on a particular Station Sedan in exchange.

me too,
not sure if this will help but suss out 79-86 toyota crowns, open the boot and remove the carpeted panel under the parcel shelf.

Chuck

Finished!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2005, 09:12:08 AM »

Ed

I'll be right over, just waiting for the little pink fellas with curly tails to fly past and I'll be on my way.

Hey Leon

Thanks for the tip, I went to Pick n' Payless at Blacktown today and removed the rear air conditioner from an 86 Cressida.  Great looking unit but unfortunately too large for an FC sedan.  Also, the configuaration of the ducting would make it slightly difficult for the application I have in mind.  Worth a shot though.  I will continue the the hunt!

Chuck

“So yes it has changed my life.  I can remember when I had a wife, a mortgage and a dog; I don’t have any 3 of those things any longer…”  Dr Gregory W Frazier
tmudie

Back on the road again

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2005, 10:50:44 AM »

Hi Chuck,

if youre interested I have a real nice Mark IV under dash unit, is complete and was working out of a early 70's Peugoet 504. Doesnt look too out of place, they were fitted up to early 60's cars. The fans and evaporator etc are all built in to the one unit and it will fit nice and snugly in the centre of the dash.....colder than a mother in laws glare.......Have the condensor, compressor etc, although I'd imagine youd want to hook up a newer unit and fabricate a bracket.

Tony
0402 891 337

I hope I wear as well as my FC Holden
NO NAME

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2005, 12:22:06 PM »

Quote from: Chuck

Hey Leon

Thanks for the tip, I went to Pick n' Payless at Blacktown today and removed the rear air conditioner from an 86 Cressida.  Great looking unit but unfortunately too large for an FC sedan.  Also, the configuaration of the ducting would make it slightly difficult for the application I have in mind.  Worth a shot though.  I will continue the the hunt!

Chuck

man we must have been so close to crossing paths today.
are you sure it doesn't fit becuase anything fits if you bang it hard.
If I knew you were close to blacktown I would have recomended pick & pull at seven hills, I think blactown has 4 in the 86 shape of the cressidas but seven hills pick & pull also has about 3 crowns.
I know the unit is packed tight like a v12 jag engine bay but maybe you could shuffle things around, also there is some interesting vents and ducts as they have ducted ac in the roof, air purifier and drink cooler.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2005, 12:33:10 PM by FCCOOL » Logged

Chuck

Finished!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2005, 08:32:43 PM »

Hey Leon

I almost always use Pick n' Pull at Seven Hills, in my opinion the best wrecking yard in Sydney, really easy going guys and plenty to choose from - they just didn't think that they had any Toyotas with the setup left in them.  I took a few photos of the unit out of the car and I will continue to think about how I might be able to make it fit.

Chuck

customFC
nsw-club
Guru

Model: FC

Ask me about microwaving cats for fun or profit.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2005, 05:49:03 AM »

Hey Chuck.
I find this idea very interesting.
How about sharing those pics.
Good luck with the hunt.
Regards
Alex

Chuck

Finished!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2005, 09:30:35 AM »

Hi Alex

No problems, to be specific, the unit is from a 1983 Toyota Crown.  I was quoted between $30 and $50 (not sure at what end of this scale though).  I have more pictures if required.

Chuck

Chuck

Finished!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2005, 09:33:07 AM »

OK, will try again, don't know what happened then.

RET
Administrator
Guru

Model: FE

richard.e.thomas ret56fe
View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2005, 01:06:10 AM »

Try renaming the file so it doesn't have special characters in it, like the parentheses.  The attachment function doesn't seem to like non-alphanumeric characters, ie stick to letters, numbers, underscore, hyphen and dot.  Avoid spaces, quotes, commas, any brackets and punctuation like !,@,#,$,%,^,&,*

cheers
RET

OurCarClub.com.au is a web-based data management application, custom built for car clubs and their volunteer officials. More info...
Chuck

Finished!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2005, 04:56:59 AM »

Thanks RET, third times a charm - I hope  Wink

customFC
nsw-club
Guru

Ask me about microwaving cats for fun or profit.

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2005, 07:04:13 AM »

Wow. That was not anything like I was expecting. I see why it wouldn't fit in the boot of the FC. Let us know if you find 1 that fits. Thanks for the pic.
How close in measurements is it?
How does it work?
Regards
Alex

Chuck

Finished!

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2005, 10:50:19 AM »

Hi Alex

The only thing that I forgot to take to the wreckers was a tape measure!  However I could tell just by looking at it that it was going to be too large for my application, even when significantly modified, especially considering that I have wheel tubs, an extra large battery box and restrictive timber panelling. The boxed area behind my back seat the already accommodates the battery and it will be far too small for a unit of this size.  In a sedan with a standard boot configuration, it may have a chance.

It has an unusual system of operation.  The rear parcel shelf has two large flush fitting panels, the one on the drivers side is the intake (the large rectangular hole on the right side sits directly below this).  Below this is the grey draw that contains a large serviceable paper element like an air cleaner element on a modern car).  Air passes from the intake chamber through a large duct (the white tube running along the base of the unit) and into the fan where it is energised and passed through the evaporator core.  It then passes into the large styrene lined chamber in the middle.  This top of this chamber sits directly below a second flush fitting panel in the middle of the rear parcel shelf.

Hope this helps - Chuck

FCwagon
vic-club

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2005, 02:38:16 AM »

This unit in the Crown was nothing more than a grossly over-engineered esky. The drink container part was located on the rear parcel shelf, so when the car was left in the sun for a few hours your drinks got hot agin.
cheers,
Leigh

Red & white is alright
NO NAME

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2005, 10:21:38 AM »

have you tried units from plusho vans like 83 on tarago GLI. they usually have a seperate unit for the rear.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: