FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
April 29, 2024, 11:19:09 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: 4hammers new baby!!! Woooo Hooooo  (Read 20425 times)
4hammers
tas-club
Guru

Model: FE

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2005, 01:47:03 AM »

Thanks fellas.

Craig, the colours are Gloss Black & Indian Ivory. The interior is Black & Mesa Tan. All will need a good scrub to make it preetty again. I am pulling up the rubber mats on the weekend & I will removing the original tar paper stuff. I am quite confident all is well, but I will no doubt find some surface rust.

Kev, yes, that is my ""Low Mileage" storage department. So far I have had my 70,000 mile FB ute, then it was my 34,000 mile ute , which a top bloke named Kev now owns  Wink,  then a 15,000 mile FC sedan & the last low miler was my 29,000 mile HG Belmont wagon.
Here is a link that shows some of my cars.
http://photobucket.com/albums/v157/4hammers/

Still a few low mileage cars down here & that space has been empty for a while now............ Grin

The Copcar will get there oneday.....I hope Huh

Rob J

WTB..FE FC Commercial...Stock plz
Martin

Model: FC

Jim

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2005, 12:31:18 PM »

Rob, Some very desirable cars there.  I can't believe the Belmont.

You don't want to swap it for a 1.5 owner HD Belmont, do you?   Grin

The liver is evil.  It must be PUNISHED

Martin
Marion.  South Aust.

Ebay user id:  lewis1411
4hammers
tas-club
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2005, 12:51:42 PM »

Thanks, Martin.
Very funny Grin Grin Grin
Send some photos! Wink

ChrisB

"Shiny Bits"

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 08, 2005, 10:03:52 AM »

Hey Rob,
pretty nice wagon there, sorry had not seen the post before, any chance of sending me the numbers of the colours as I am keen to see if they match mine. Also a shot of the rear would be good as I am curious how they did the black at the back.

Cheers ChrisB   Cool
4hammers
tas-club
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 08, 2005, 11:13:02 AM »

Hi Chris.
I have been meaning to conatct you, asking the same questions!! I will get a shot of the back for you asap. The entire tailgate, up to the roofline is black. It has the little stainless strips that extend below the tail lights to seperate the black form the Ivory.

Here is the results from the forum ID'er.

Here are the details that can be identified from the information you supplied:
ID:     FC-229-8051-A
TRIM:   258-664
PAINT:  256-2158
        253-6258
RPO:    
--------------------
Chassis No: 8-9334-B
Engine No: L336471

--DETAILS-----------------------------------------

FC-229-8051-A:
 Vehicle is an FC Special Station Sedan, the 8,051st manufactured in Adelaide, SA.

258-664
 The Exterior Trim Code (258) describes this car as Two-Tone: Black over Cape Ivory.
 The Interior Trim Code (664) refers to: Mesa Tan & Black.

256-2158
 The Primary (bonnet, guards) colour is Cape Ivory (in DUCO Lacquer)

253-6258
 The secondary colour is Black (Hi Gloss) (in DUCO Lacquer)

8-9334-B
 The vehicle was assembled during 1958, and was the
 8,334th FC (in any bodystyle) assembled in Brisbane, Queensland.

L336471 (Note not original engine. It had some major engine problem very early on)
Manufacture date (based on engine number) is March 1957

Hope this helps.

Rob J

4hammers
tas-club
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 18, 2005, 08:21:04 AM »

Hi Guys.
Been a bit of discussion about "Whitewall" flappers recently, so I decided to give them a go on the wagon. They seem to be fine, sit nicely (Apart from the one I scuffed on the curb Angry Angry :-/) & I think they look coooooooooool!
Hope you like.

Rob J

Shayne
qld-club

Model: FE and FC

Just Cruisin'

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 18, 2005, 08:47:54 AM »

The 'flappers' look great Rob.  They are a cheap, fun alternative to expensive whitewall tyres IMO.  I've got them on my wagon.  The supplier advised applying rubber grease behind them every so often.  I've found that this really attracts the dust (here anyway), so don't do it.  You can see that they are wearing into the wall of the tyres though.  This won't be an issue on my wagon which only does a couple of thousand km's per year.  The tread on the tyres is almost stuffed anyway.

Happy cruising.

BTW, is that a for sale sign at your neighbour's on your old wagon?  How much?

Old Holdens Never Die Because Fools Like Me Keep Them Going
4hammers
tas-club
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 18, 2005, 09:08:24 AM »

Hi Shayne.
Thanks for that. I had been told pretty much the same. I actually use a silicone spray to keep the tyres nice & a side effect, is it seems to lube the flappers (Does that sound rude, or is it just me?).

As for the wagon in the background. Yes, it is for sale.....today....
He wants $5,000. It is a nice wagon, but he has not done a scrap of maintenance since buying it off me 18 months ago, washed it once & has now let the rego lapse. Has a repo mat, AirChief radio, genuine venetians, scratch plates. The brakes need work....Badly! The motor is not running smooth. I think the valves may need work, as I advised him to run it on PULP with flash lube, but he uses LRP or ULP, but doesn't use flash lube.
Sad to see the car For Sale.

Rob J

TorqueFC
Guru

Modified?

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 18, 2005, 09:29:02 AM »

WOW Shocked Shocked Shocked

much better, now just needs lowering......Cheesy

only kidding, very smart looking wagon !!!!!

tests have proven that the final words before a fatal urban car crash are "OH ****"

in a rural car crash they are " Hold my stubby and watch this for skill!"
Motörhead

D-Generation X

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: October 19, 2005, 02:12:12 AM »

Very VERY nice looking with the flappers on Rob !!! I'd agree with Shayne that flappers are most certainly an inexpensive alternative to the whitewall tyre option, you've definitely done well for yourself.

But now I must ask....WHERE IS A SUNVISOR FOR THE FC ?? :-/ Would look even better with a sunvisor fitted IMHO. Grin

Pete

The Quiet One
The Cynical One
The Dark One
4hammers
tas-club
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 19, 2005, 03:50:45 AM »

Hi Pete.
Got a beautiful accessory sunvisor in my cave. Just haven't got the guts up yet to drill the holes. I love the look of them as well. Just need some reassurance that it is the right thing to do.

Rob J

craiga
« Reply #31 on: October 19, 2005, 04:07:01 AM »

Rob,

Do it, no question.

IMHO An FC without a sunvisor is like an old man with no hat.

Cheers,

Craig.

Paul-FcWag

Artist formerly known as Thumper

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 19, 2005, 08:00:35 PM »

Rob

where did u get the flappers from and what u use ot apply them? i was just looking into getting whitewalls for my wagon and didnt know there was an alternative. do u need to take the tyres off to apply the flappers? and How much are they if you dont mind me asking

Cheers Paul
4hammers
tas-club
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 19, 2005, 08:14:43 PM »

Hi Paul.
Flappers are just a thin ring of rubber stuff. You only have to let the tyre down & these fit on & they push under the rim inbetween the bead & the rim edge. No glue is used.

I can get them from a supplier down here. I was quoted $150 (Or very close to) for a set of 4. I was going to get them, but found 10 at a swapmeet & grabbed those instead. Now I have 2 sets, with an extra for each spare.

Quite easy to put on. The hardest part is jacking up the car to pull of the wheels & letting the air out.

Regards,
Rob J

Paul-FcWag

Artist formerly known as Thumper

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 19, 2005, 11:37:23 PM »

so does the outside edge stick out or does it sit flat against the tyre?
Has anyone heard of or know of any suppliers that have them- any in Qld?

Cheers Paul
Shayne
qld-club

Just Cruisin'

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 20, 2005, 01:47:24 AM »

Paul,
flapper sits flush against wall of tyre.  They are held in place on the rim by being wedged between the tyre bead and the rim.  The reason they are called flappers, is that they do sometimes 'fan out' or separate from the wall of the tyre while driving, obviously flapping.  I've never had a problem with this.  I've also heard them referred to as turkeys or gobblers in the USA, because of the alleged noise they make in the breeze while driving.  Perhaps this applies to a high powered US muscle car, but is not a problem with a grey motor.

I got mine from Antique Tyres in Melbourne.  They are packed in a box, and postage was less than $10 to me in Western Qld.  You will waste that much travelling around Brisbane looking for a supplier, find out they don't have them, and then they will post them to you when they turn up anyway.

Old Holdens Never Die Because Fools Like Me Keep Them Going
HAD 708

Holdens and the Mighty Woodsmen truly magnificent

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 20, 2005, 03:32:41 AM »

Heh Rob
Wagon looks great!!!! And dont be a nancy as Craig said, get the Visor on it and ENJOY. Also dont forget the spats etc etc etc!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Brett

Brett Gillard
20.4_seconds

The ox is slow, but the earth is patient!

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 20, 2005, 04:40:56 AM »

Very nice Rob, get that visor on....but don't forget..measure 20 times...drill once  Tongue Tongue Grin

Nick

All I  want for Christmas is a Smiths clock bracket and knurled knobs
Glenn 'Stinky' Stankevicius
Guru

Willaston, South Australia

Glenn.Stankevicius
View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 20, 2005, 11:22:05 AM »

Yep, then curse as the drill bit slips and zips across that nice shiny paint! heh heh heh heh Tongue

nicko
Guru

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 20, 2005, 11:53:37 AM »

when you install visor,put masking tape on where it will sit then measure up a few times,when you are happy with your drill marks use a pointy centre punch and give it a firm hit at each spot while someone sits inside with pressure on roof (bare hands are fine)in same area so you dont dent it with pressure from punch,this way your drill wont skip around as the punch mark gives it a guild to sit in,also the tape stops paint chipping around drill hole.when done blow off all metal fileings from drill and wipe off area with a soft cloth,as tiny metal fileings will rust when dew gets to it.

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: