FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
April 30, 2024, 12:36:04 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: V8 EFI Engine swap in Fe Ute  (Read 3096 times)
Simon Meli -  
« on: April 17, 2000, 12:00:00 PM »

I have owned an Fe Ute for 3 years now. Re-Built the grey to a stage 1 and found myself in the workshop again after stripping the timming gear.
At this stage I am prepared to Rod the Ute. My Mechanic of good knowledge has pointed me towards the VP /VR 304 Fuel Inject commodore motor. I know the 308 block is shorter than the average grey - red e.t.c so there shouldn't be any drama with the positioning in the bay.Our thoughts for a transmission has not been settled , however the HR powerglide is a small unit and should fit in the FE tunnel - Provided  the correct adaptor bell housing is sourced and doesn't encrouch in the wrong spots. The diff - 10 bolt from commodore or Shortened 9''. Being a ute - possible mini tubs would suit the project. I don't wish to "balls up " the concept - nor take away from the beauty of the FE as i have restored it to prestine value.  also - what are the widest rims that would suit the rear of a standard FE ute? Please, any comments or help if you would....
Regards ,
Simon - Sydney
stevefc58@yahoo.com.au
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2000, 12:00:00 PM »

stevefc582yahoo.com.au
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2000, 12:00:00 PM »

How are you?  i was going to put a v8 in my fc and was tolled to best would be a small block chev as it is physicaly smaller the the aussie v8.   Good luck with it hope to here how it goes.
Ed (Guest)
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2000, 12:00:00 PM »

Hi,
 i saw your post RE: V8 conversion.
The Holden V8 will fit into the bay, but not as neat as a chevy engine will due to the width across the heads.
Making a Holden motor fit is definitely more difficult, exhaust to steering rod clearance is a hassle, as is fan to radiator clearance.  
If you're prepared to butcher your inner guards to run the exhaust out, then no probs, but i wouldnt recommend it.
I have HQ SS rims on a shortened 9 inch under my wagon, and it has 225 tyres at the moment with heaps of clearance and no rolled lips on the rear quarters.
If you run the 304 EFI, you will have to find space for the air intakes etc, and perhaps rear clearance may become an issue.
Ive had the firewall recessed approx 2 inches to move the motor rearward to allow exhaust clearance and radiator clearance.
Hope this bit of info helps.
Ed
Richard Thomas (Guest)
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2000, 12:00:00 PM »

I've got a Powerglide (ex-HT Monaro) in my FE, and I used most of the tunnel and floor from the donor car to make it fit - there's no way the tranny would have fit under the standard tunnel.  I would be very surprised if the HR Powerglide was that much different.  I used to have a Datsun 1600 4-speed box prior to the auto conversion, because that was one of the very few gearboxes that fitted the FE tunnel - don't even think about going down that road!
cheers RET
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: