FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
March 28, 2024, 07:58:29 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: Column shifted trimatic FC's  (Read 23411 times)
streetneat

View Profile WWW
« on: October 26, 2004, 07:13:09 PM »

Got the wifes project FC sedan fired up yesterday for the first time -  runs sweet  - 186S / Trimatic- and heres the dilema - probably might have it sorted by the time I get some feedback but  here 'tis
I am using a EK Hydro Column- I have fabricated a working  column shifter  from bits and pieces - except the fine tuning is a problem - has anyone else done this conversion? I have figuered  so far that I have to change a degree of angle on the control rod  to give more throw - this will happen shortly - but the gate on the column has no detents to stop it from going into reverse or to hold it in drive - I plan to possibly add some more detents - or is there a gate out there that will interchange and give the desired result?
Any pics of others conversions would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers streetneat
« Last Edit: October 27, 2004, 07:50:54 PM by streetneat » Logged

Cheers streetneat -Andrew
FCwagon
vic-club

Model: FC

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2004, 08:29:59 PM »

Hi Streetneat,
You will have to manufacture a gate & weld to the column or cut & shut an LJ Torana column. There are a different shift linkages on the Trimatics for column and floor shift. They're different lengths to alter the throw angle and also the bolt hole has the flat sections of the hole on different angles.
Had a lot of trouble setting up my floor mount as it was on a high CRS trans tunnel. Had to try every alternative till I got it right.
cheers,
Leigh

Red & white is alright
Blown_FC

FC Holdens & Mini Coopers....Cars of the Century

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2004, 09:21:22 PM »

Interesting Question Streetneat......My FC is a Column Change Trimatic and I'm sure my Column is out of an EK.

From memory, I can't recall the shift actually locking into Drive or Locking out of Reverse either, altjough I drove the car like that from the day I bought it for about 200kms with no problems !

If you or anyone find a neat and simple fix, I'd love to know how to go about it !

Cheers

Mark

Sorry I couldn;t really help...as I'm in need of the same help.
oldgmh

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2004, 11:48:13 PM »

I put a trimatic into a hydro ek and used the hydro column.  I haven't changed any of the lockouts on the column as it works well enough being left as standard.  The lockout on park is still the same, but the gearstick can be shifted through the other selections without having a protective lockout. It can be changed with a bit of cutting and welding - to be done at a later date - would like to know if there is an easy fix.

I used were a HR gear selection viewer which nicely replaces the  hydro unit.  The HR has only D and L but selection of the 3 forward gears is still available.

Also used a HQ  safety start switch to replace the EK unit (located on the column under the dash) so that it can't start in gear.

Earlee
« Last Edit: October 26, 2004, 11:49:51 PM by earlee » Logged
streetneat

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2004, 07:49:44 PM »

Well I said I would probably have it sorted - and I finally did.  But many thanks go to the responses to my dilema - as I am interested to see other methods of madness.
I ended up retaining the Hydro gate - all I did was file a slot into the position where drive is and this stops it from bouncing out of gear - now just have to train the wife  to get into the habit of making sure the selector is positively engaged into this slot. As the whole thing wears in, it should free up.
Another point of interest is the use of a HT Manual column shift lever - it has the right reach into the column and positively engages the slideing plate at the top of the column.. we had no original EK shift lever to use.  interesting to see the HR shift indicator can be used - but I seem to remember it wont fit into the nice chrome  surround of the EK- we would have to use the HR surround.... I will look into other solutions.

Taping the doors up  we headed around the farm and this is the first time in over tewnty years this car has moved under its own power. It had better get used to it - as the wifes abit of a lead foot. With no glass,warm 186s and LSD  diff - this thing could easily pass for  a contender as a dirt track special....
Enough hooning - time is approaching to tear it all down for final painting and detailing....
Cheers and thanks for the replies ; streetneat
« Last Edit: October 27, 2004, 07:51:44 PM by streetneat » Logged

oldgmh

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2004, 10:44:58 PM »

the perspex HR gear selection viewer does fit into the EK chrome holder,it just takes a little bit of filing.
streetneat

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2004, 01:35:21 AM »

Mmmm Ok - I shall look into that one - once I find where I left the HD one that was floating around... I sometimes spend more time trying to put my hands on parts - instead of the actually fitting of 'em.
Cheers streetneat.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2004, 01:37:18 AM by streetneat » Logged

mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2004, 09:19:29 AM »

I used a EJ hydromatic column with Torana lockout reversed and bolted to the column. PRNDL is from a HR and bolted straight on.  Torana neutral safety switch bolted on unmodified as well.
All works as per a factory installation.
Ken
EJ_Dave

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2004, 10:36:04 AM »

Whoa- as easy as that eh Ken? I feel humbled to be in the (virtual) presence of such genius.

David
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2004, 07:11:35 AM »

Believe me it's not genius, it took hours of fiddling and hunting through the local wrecking yard and swap meets to find the bits that would all go together.  All I am trying to do is give readers the benefit of my trials and tribulations.

Ken
streetneat

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2004, 09:10:02 PM »

hear hear Ken....although I get the impression that EJ Dave is one of your mates having a freindly dig - otherwise his comments are a bit strong....
I shall try and photograph my set up - I have avoided doing this until I know it works without dramas- Mine is simplistic in overall design- although bloody mindbending to nut out ( give me panel beating anyday!).
Basically mine is using all the standard EK Hydro stuff with a  vertical shifter rod bent  to suit the fire wall and other bits in the way from the colum down to the horizontal actuating shaft.  This shaft was the main problem to diagnose and there is a simple angle bracket welded to this, which takes direction from the other rod. I got a wee bit carried away and intially made up two mounting brackets that attach to the subframe  leg nearest the gear box and also to the outer leg of the subframe. I acheived this by welding some stainless tube (25mm OD & 23.8 ID ) to a couple of bits of flat 2mm.  On the inside of these tubes are especially machined up nolathane bushes, with the horizontal shaft passing through these bushes. The method of attaching this lot to the subframe was through the use of threaded nut serts - something every one should be using - its basically like a rivet gun set up and will set you back less than $75.....beats the hell out of welding nuts to the back of everything. (and in most cases this would be impossible!)
The horizontal shaft was initially raided from a WB and its too short but provided the needed parts that had to be carefully removed and then replaced onto a longer bit of 3/8 rod- in the exact fashion as was made originally - and I had to do this several times to get the throw right - so it might pay not to fully weld anything until  you have the angle of the dangle worked out (Balls Law- sorry ladies!).
Where my design was a bit of a problem was that it worked too good- the nolathane bushd shaft  worked fine - but was way too stiff. I kept half of the bushes and replaced the outer set with some roller bearings. I also used a roller bearing  for the junction where the two rods join, This utilises a HT Holden  adjusting trunion that gives you adjustment via loosening  off the bolt that clamps to the  vertical rod. Simple but effective. This adjusting trunion was raided from a manual column shift HT /HG.
The important thing is to get everything moving freely - the factory set up is rather sloppy and more so if using well worn parts. This is why I went for roller bearings to keep it all firm but free.
Aplogies for the long winded explanation but I always reckon that in these cases too much info is never enough - hopefully with piccies others may see my mad methods.
Cheers streetneat

oldgmh

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2004, 11:02:53 AM »

it's actually a piece of cake to actuate a trimatic from a hydro column - streetneat, I will bring one around to show you - just a bracket off the selectors will do the trick. There is no need for fancy brackets off the subframe.  Not that I wasn't smart enough to work it out - I just copied what someone else did!
I can't invent the wheel - someone else already has - thank goodness for that.  
By the way, I had a good look over your coupe and the FC ute today.  Lovely cars.

earlee - how's my bonnet coming along?
streetneat

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2004, 07:21:51 PM »

G'day Earlee
                   Bonnets coming along fine - has been bare metaled, repaired and is now in primer- The inside will be painted this morning ( it'll be a fight for the booth - I want to paint my Wifes FC doors!). Should be ready for you on wednesday.
I have completed the wifes set up and it works fine. was a bugger to invent that 'wheel' (not having one to copy makes it harder!) Feel free to bring around yours though - always keen to perve upon other cars.
My fancy brackets are off the selectors - and Mounting off the subframe was the only obvious choice for me any how - curious to see how or where else  the selector rods could be mounted. Skinning / Swinging cats eh?....
Cheers streetneat.

EJ_Dave

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2004, 02:19:17 AM »

I hope my comments were not misinterpreted. I am seriously impressed by Ken's setup- explained in less than 40 words too. I was pretty blown away by how much knowledge and hard work was conveyed so succinctly.

I've heard genius is 1% inspiration, 99% perspiration so you'd still get my vote Ken.

Have I grovelled enough yet???

David
mcl1959
vic-club
Guru

FE's rule

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2004, 11:25:37 AM »

Yes Dave

Ken Grin
njf690

heya

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2012, 02:15:54 PM »

can we get some pictures on this topic guys.
would really help

cheers
NES304
Guru

Yes Dear

nes304
View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2012, 02:18:36 PM »

Didn't streetneat sell that car?

brett_f

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2012, 05:30:02 PM »

Easy job. Used a HD/Hr steering column modified to suit an LH rack and fitted a torana lower linkage plate. Then had a sticker made to put into the display window with the correct letters/numbers to suit the trimatic. All looks original except that it is a HD/Hr column. Check my build. It will show the column.
regards brett
streetneat

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2012, 06:38:53 AM »

Didn't streetneat sell that car?
Yes I sold the car in 2008 to a chap in WA before I moved to NZ. Some pictures in the Mrs Streetneat album via my website  http://www.streetneat.com  show parts of the conversion. I cant recall if I ever did take specific pictures. In short I used mostly factory parts - HT/HG with some modified and hand made  parts to improve the overall design.

There are many ways to achieve this set up - most of  'em work. Its down to taste and the look you are trying to achieve. The very short answer is grab some factory column shift bits and see what works for you - thats how most of us have done it.

Cheers streetneat Andrew.

njf690

heya

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2012, 10:02:24 AM »

how do i look at other guys certain projects?Huh?  like brett_f
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode)