FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
April 27, 2024, 10:48:08 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: B pillar anchor point  (Read 6315 times)
crowbar
vic-club

Model: FE

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« on: August 07, 2012, 03:33:15 PM »

Has anyone got the measurement for the upper b pillar seat belt anchor point for a fe/fc Holden with standard bench seat
My engineer states that he wants it as per the national code of practice for modified vehicles Page 16
http://www.infrastructure.gov.au/roads/vehicle_regulation/bulletin/vsb_ncop.aspx
I am having trouble understanding it and it costs me big money everytime I get him
So hopefully someone on this forum will have the answer for me

Cheers
Haydn
Ed
Guru

Ed74mnd
View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2012, 04:37:51 PM »

Haydn,

The Guidelines states you can use a barrel bolt type arrangement for an upper mount, which goes through the pillar.

otherwise,

the requirement asks for a backing plate with an area of 3750mm2.

so in real terms translates to a plate (min) of 2 inches (50mm) by 3 inches (75mm).
50 x 75 = 3750mm2

thickness of plate should be 3 - 4mm and corners rounded with 5mm radius.

If you are uncertain of what to do, you could try calling your local authorised seat restraint fitting station, and perhaps ask if they would sell you a bolt kit which meets this spec, or maybe even fit the belts for you.

I last purchased a seat belt from Rare Spares for another car and it came complete with compliant plates , bolts, washers and instructions.

Hope this helps.

Ed

in the shed
FCRB26
Guru

Model: FE and FC

peter.mallaby
View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2012, 06:15:41 PM »

And must be 7/16 unf thread.

Trevor_B
vic-club

Model: FC

Melbourne VIC

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2012, 06:26:50 PM »

Recent advice I recieved from a mechanic in the VIC Club is that the barrel bolt approach in the B Pillar is no longer acceptable as part of the RWC review.

If you want more info please PM me for contact details of that member.

Cheers,
Trevor_B

FC Sedan, Ute & Wagon .... only a Panel Van required to make the set
ehsv6

Model: other Holden

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2012, 07:39:18 PM »

I think you will find the barrel bolt is OK as long as it is 7/16 and cut to the correct length so the pillar is not crushed when tightened, a lot of older bolts are smaller and are not anti crush. Available from Hemco in Ballarat. My engineer was quite happy with them but I had to dismantle to show him size. Although this was 3 years ago there was similar advice floating around.  All other points were plates as described also available from Hemco with welded nut and plated.

crowbar
vic-club

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2012, 07:41:35 PM »

Thanks Gents
I have already welded in all the other anchor points as per specifications mentioned
It is just the upper b pillar that I am stuck with the correct position
The specs do not have measurements just angles etc
As I am not a mathematician I was hoping that another forum member had gone through the same and could possibly give me a measurement down from the roof gutter or whatever
If worst comes to the worst I will have to get my engineer to calculate it
earlyholdenfan

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2012, 08:00:17 PM »

Crowbar, one of the reasons they give you angles rather than actual heights from set vehicular points, is the various seating that you MAY have, buckets bench etc - each one will have a different "angle"  in relation to height of the mounting point when fitted.

if you have worked out your final seating - then it may make it a little easier to find that elusive "spot"

M@

Harv
Guru

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2012, 10:43:16 AM »

I can understand why some engineers, restraint fitting stations and roadworthy inspectors are not happy with barrel bolts. A 7/16"UNF bolt head has a surface area of just 235mm2... around 6% of the minimum area the NCOP (and NSW RTA) reccomends. A plate behind the pillar will hold 16 times the load that the bolts will before shearing though the pillar skin.

Having said that, barrel bolts are damn common practice, and I have never seen (or heard of) any barrel bolts pulling out in an accident. Anyone ever seen this happen?

Cheers,
Harv
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: