FE-FC Holden Discussion Forum
April 20, 2024, 07:10:15 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: The FE-FC Holden Car Club of NSW are proud to host the 19th FE-FC Holden Nationals. Check out the announcement video for more.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Add bookmark  |  Print  
Author Topic: 179 motor  (Read 10938 times)
GRENFELL.SPARES

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 10, 2004, 09:50:49 PM »

Hi Ace
i have a hp motor for sale has a mild cam and was a sweet running motor when removed needs a rear main seal as they all leak to some degree engine number starts m hope this is some help for you
regards
dave

father
spam

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2005, 03:26:32 AM »

The GREY Canadian block is not a falicy. It did have structural integrity that surpassed the block that was built here, but this only came into play if you were looking to bore it. It also had "fins" or ridges going the full length of the block.
Shayne
qld-club

Model: FE and FC

Just Cruisin'

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2005, 04:11:18 AM »

I think the word 'Canadian' followed by 'Block' should be banned from this forum unless someone can produce photos, and or documentary evidence that they were ever made (not just 'my mate had an FJ and it went faster than my other mates EK').  Why the hell would GM have built pissy 6 cylinder engines in Canada for export to Australia, when they didn't use them in cars in Canada or anywhere else? Huh

This should be in the Dummy Spit Section, but really, can we all just have a look at previous postings about the subject before we even mention it again!

Old Holdens Never Die Because Fools Like Me Keep Them Going
RET
Administrator
Guru

Model: FE

richard.e.thomas ret56fe
View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2005, 06:25:00 AM »

Ditto what Shayne said.  I have done a bit of research on this, and asked a few people in a position to know (or at least have an informed opinion, and the answer comes back the same: the canadian block is a fallacy.

However, I googled "canadian block" just to see what would turn up.  And I found this:

http://www.uwo.ca/english/canadianpoetry/longpoems/abrams/introduction.htm

The salient part of the very long (and frankly, turgid) page is this:

The  implication of Cary’s opening lines is that peace and freedom, together with the  accoutrements of classical civilization and the invigorating qualities of Canadian nature,  are to be found on the Plains of Abraham, and are to be enjoyed under circumstances of  utter and complete tranquility:

Oft, on the green sod lolling as I lay,
  Heedless, the grazing herds around me stray:
  Close by my side shy songsters fearless hop,
  And shyer squirrels the young verdure crop:
  All take me for some native of the wood,
  Or else some senseless block thrown from the flood.
                                                  (ll. 11-16)

Here Cary seems at pains to demonstrate the harmonious life that exists on the plains. His tranquill landscape contains no hint of conflict or antipathy; indeed the poet/speaker — that is, European man — is in a state of concord with the creatures of Britain's Canadian colony: he is accepted alike by the domesticated "grazing herds" and by the "shy" and "shyer" animals of the forest who perceive him, he speculates, either as an animate "native of the wood" or as an inanimate "block" cast ashore from the St. Lawrence. It is more than possible that Cary's use of the word "block" brings with it to this context a double valency and two meanings, one derived from its traditional (Shakespearian, Popian) usage as an image of inertia and senselessness, the other deriving from the implication that his Canadian "block" is a piece of flotsam from Quebec's burgeoning timber industry, described by Cary in some detail later in the poem. If this possibility is granted, then it would appear that Cary's doubly suggestive "block" serves to reconcile old-world concepts with new-world realities and, beyond that, to show, like the entire context in which it appears, that on the Plains of Abraham there is to be found in 1789 a peaceful and harmonious relationship between man (even man with commercial connections) and nature (even wild nature).

And all that makes about as much sense as anything else you're likely to hear on the reality of Canadian Blocks.

cheers
RET

OurCarClub.com.au is a web-based data management application, custom built for car clubs and their volunteer officials. More info...
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Add bookmark  |  Print  

Share this topic...
In a forum (BBCode) 
In a site/blog (HTML)

Jump to: